Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Chelsea
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to get Sadie spayed this October. While she is spayed, I was thinking about getting her hips x-rayed and then sending them to OFA. She has been making a clicking noise when she sits down for the past several months. I had her to the vet in December, I think, for a skin problem and he checked out her hips and said that the only way to tell for sure is to get x-rays done, but he didn't feel anything wrong. I do have her on glucosamine, started that several months ago. She has never limped, or showed any sign of pain or discomfort in her hips, never stiff in her hips, etc. She runs around fine, plays, etc. Never a problem, just the clicking noise.

The vet I take her to doesn't keep the dogs overnight after a spay, which I actually prefer, so I am using the vet I boarded her overnight during the summer. Plus, I think they are also more high tech. The whole spay thing makes me feel sick, probably because the last animal I had spayed was my cat, 2 years ago and she pulled all her stitches out within 3 days even with that e-collar on. I hate the idea of surgery in general, and the thought of her in pain. I forgot to ask about the x-rays, but since she will already be out, I think it would be best to do it. If something is wrong, I will know and hopefully nothing is wrong and then I don't have to worry. They sent me a quote and the spay would be anywhere from $350ish to around $450. It'll be an extra $100-$200 to have her spayed at this vet.

So, how much does your vet charge for hip x-rays (ofa hip x-rays)? Do I ask for a copy of the x-rays or something to be sent to OFA?

Now, how do I keep her calm after the spay? No running, jumping, etc. The only way that I could see keeping her calm, is to keep her crated and only go out on a leash to go potty.

This may seem stupid, but how exactly do I get her into the car when we pick her up from her spay. She can't jump in and im not sure how to pick her up. :uhoh:

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
My vet charges $120 for the first x-ray and then $70 for each x-ray after. I don't know how sending them off to OFA works, though. I know vets can sign the x-rays over to you, if needed.

Yes, please keep your Sadie crated, or in a room while you are watching her. Only go out on a leash.

Just be careful how you pick her up. Maybe use a towel if needed. She will be very sensitive. Maybe someone who works at the vet can help you lift her in the car.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Wow...$350-$450 or more for a spay. Daisy's cost me $160 and that included the Metacam she came home with. I think I'm loving my vet right about now. It is tough to keep them calm once they start to feel better. By day 3 Daisy was rarin to go so it was a challenge. I kept her on a leash for a good week at least.

·
Chelsea
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow...$350-$450 or more for a spay. Daisy's cost me $160 and that included the Metacam she came home with. I think I'm loving my vet right about now. It is tough to keep them calm once they start to feel better. By day 3 Daisy was rarin to go so it was a challenge. I kept her on a leash for a good week at least.
Here in NY everythings expensive. The price does include the pain medication. I guess it depends on her weight at the time of spay, how much anestesia they have to use, if I get the preanestesia blood work, which I think was about $90.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Are you sure that vet won't allow overnight stays? We don't generally do those, but if the owner requests it, we keep their pet overnight free of charge.

That is a bit pricey. Also check and see if you can get bloodwork done about a week before her surgery to see if it is cheaper to send it of to a lab. In our case, it is MUCH cheaper to send it off than to do it day of in the hospital.

·
Chelsea
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you sure that vet won't allow overnight stays? We don't generally do those, but if the owner requests it, we keep their pet overnight free of charge.

That is a bit pricey. Also check and see if you can get bloodwork done about a week before her surgery to see if it is cheaper to send it of to a lab. In our case, it is MUCH cheaper to send it off than to do it day of in the hospital.
Do you think it would be better to have her stay overnight or to bring her home the day of the spay? I keep going back and forth on this. I mean, no body stays at the hospital during the night, where if we brought her home, somebody would be with her.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
No, no one stays in our hospital overnight either. It really just depends on your schedule. Will you be able to watch her in the evening and overnight? Keep her calm? If so, there is really no need to keep her overnight. I think she will be better at home with you rather than stuck in a run with a cone with no one watching her.

·
Chelsea
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, no one stays in our hospital overnight either. It really just depends on your schedule. Will you be able to watch her in the evening and overnight? Keep her calm? If so, there is really no need to keep her overnight. I think she will be better at home with you rather than stuck in a run with a cone with no one watching her.
Yes, I will be home to watch her. I think i'll go with my regular vet then. Does you hospital give pain medication for the dogs when they get spayed? We got our min pin spayed there several years ago, but I can't remember if they gave us pain medication or not. Is this something that is recommended?

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
200.00...for hips and elbows (extra if sedation is needed).
They will take as many shots as necessary to get good positioning.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
If u are having then sent to ofa, make sure the vet knows how to position the hips properly. If the do not, ofa will send them back and tell u to redo them. I did hip rays (prelims) and cost me about 230 for hips and elbows and they sent it if to offa and i just paid the fee for offa. It was all done on computer, no need to actually mail off films.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I plan to get Sadie spayed this October. While she is spayed, I was thinking about getting her hips x-rayed and then sending them to OFA. She has been making a clicking noise when she sits down for the past several months. I had her to the vet in December, I think, for a skin problem and he checked out her hips and said that the only way to tell for sure is to get x-rays done, but he didn't feel anything wrong. I do have her on glucosamine, started that several months ago. She has never limped, or showed any sign of pain or discomfort in her hips, never stiff in her hips, etc. She runs around fine, plays, etc. Never a problem, just the clicking noise.

The vet I take her to doesn't keep the dogs overnight after a spay, which I actually prefer, so I am using the vet I boarded her overnight during the summer. Plus, I think they are also more high tech. The whole spay thing makes me feel sick, probably because the last animal I had spayed was my cat, 2 years ago and she pulled all her stitches out within 3 days even with that e-collar on. I hate the idea of surgery in general, and the thought of her in pain. I forgot to ask about the x-rays, but since she will already be out, I think it would be best to do it. If something is wrong, I will know and hopefully nothing is wrong and then I don't have to worry. They sent me a quote and the spay would be anywhere from $350ish to around $450. It'll be an extra $100-$200 to have her spayed at this vet.

So, how much does your vet charge for hip x-rays (ofa hip x-rays)? Do I ask for a copy of the x-rays or something to be sent to OFA?

Now, how do I keep her calm after the spay? No running, jumping, etc. The only way that I could see keeping her calm, is to keep her crated and only go out on a leash to go potty.

This may seem stupid, but how exactly do I get her into the car when we pick her up from her spay. She can't jump in and im not sure how to pick her up. :uhoh:

Re: keeping overnight- Our clinic does not keep anything but cat declaws overnight. Ask *who* stays overnight to watch the pets or if someone just checks in. Big difference! I'd rather have my pet at home and watch it the evening after the surgery than being alone or checked in on 1x/night. JMHO.

Re: price of things- A spay in my area is about $400 and that would include any pre-op bloodwork (which you definitely SHOULD do!! So many underlying problems are caught this way!!!), post-op pain control, e-collar, among other things. A set of OFA rads should be about $150-$200, including OFA fee to send them in. Pick her up with one elbow around the head and the other under the belly. Don't worry, it won't be terrible- ask the tech or vet to show you how.

Re: pain meds- You should ask for and get pain (something like torb or tramadol) and an NSAID like rimadyl or deramaxx, maybe metacam.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
We keep all spays, dog neuters, and cat declaws overnight where I work. In our experience, the vast majority of pet owners* have no idea what to expect and what might be normal or abnormal. We find that sending the pet home the same day results in e-clinic visits and stressed owners/pets. Most pet owners can't resist the urge to be constantly checking on the pet (disturbing it's rest) and begging it to eat/drink ANYTHING even if it doesn't feel like it yet. By keeping the pet overnight, we are able to give the owner back a pet who's had 24 hours to recover and adjust after the surgery, we know who needs extra pain meds, who needs an e-collar, etc.

*I acknowledge that most members of GRF are not your average pet owner (although I would suggest you do a search and see just how many threads there are that mention the worry that even these superior pet owners suffer that first evening they bring their pet home after a spay or neuter).

My own experience with Piper's elbow surgery reinforced our overnight policy. Since I am a vet, the surgeon let me bring Pi home that night. Her surgery got over at about noon and I picked her up about 6:30. My DH (who normally isn't that in-tune to the animals) was a wreck. I had Pi in a kennel in the living room and was pretty much letting her do her thing. DH kept asking if she was alright, even though there was a vet in the room reassuring him that what we were seeing was totally normal. Then he did it again 3 days later when I spayed her! Even though he saw how she was the first time and that she was fine.

·
Chelsea
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all very much. Yes, the vet does know how to do OFA x-rays.

I will go ahead and do the bloodwork and ask for pain meds.

I don't think anybody stays overnight or checks in. So I think I will go to my regular vet.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
We don't usually give out pain meds unless they are acting very painful. It all depends on the dog. You can always ask for some just to have them in case she needs them.

I'm glad you are going with your regular vet.. much cheaper for you! I think she'll do fantastic when she's at home.

·
& Golden Roxy And Roo To
2,023 Posts
I can answer this :) We just got home from having our girl spay and OFA xrays done at the same time. We are in southern NJ

Spay including;
preanesthesia
IV fluids
Intubation
Sevoflurane anesthesia, and monitoring
surgical supplies and room
hospital care
__279.50_______________

1 xray additional view (67.00)
1 xray-initial (2 views) (151.00)
2 anesthesia (additional for xrays) (120.00)
OFA xray/review and submission (100.00)

****Total $787.69

**Pre-op labs were done last week checking HW and also for Lymes, that totaled about 151.00 with HW med
**Also I had downloaded forms from OFA's website and given them to the vet........that is all that was required of me, they took care of everything else.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts