Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a pure bread Golden that was born in Nov 8 2014. She was a great dog. Ava was active to the end. I rescued an English Cream shortly after ands uno to the last Sunday they ate and played together all day. Last May 2018 our groomer noticed a bump on her left elbow and told me to have it check at the Vet. I took her a couple of days later and they did X-rays and asperated needle and sent it to the labs. They later said it wasn’t consistant with cancer and because of her age it would go away as soon as it came. All summer long it stayed the same size until August 28th it was the size go half a baseball, I took her back to the vet and they referred us to Mar Queen emergency in Roseville California. Dr. Watkins said he was pretty sure it was cancer and needed to be removed and or amputated. We ended up have the front left leg removed and brought her home. She was awesome. She bounced back and was her old self in days. Three weeks later we found a bump 4 inched above the surgery site. We took her back and they said it was back and that we should consider chemotherapy. Because they said it may only put the cancer at bay for a year and the cost, we chose to let Ava be Ava for as long as she could.

Everyday she got another bump in different areas. Second one was like a big zit on her forehead and the other was and acorn size on her last other front leg. One of her tumors started to bleed out badly on her neck Sunday and we c called the surgeon and he said I need to let her go.

Needless to say I am without words the speed and the loss of this 3.5 year old member of my family. I have her full medical records and would be happy to forward it you wanted. She was spayed at 8 months before her first cycle. None of the breeders dogs have had cancer over several years of litters. I would like to also know what your research has come up with. Did I spay her too soon? Should I have fed her differently? Should I not have vaccinated her every-time the vet said to?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss of Ava. She was a beautiful girl and it is horrible to have to say goodbye to one so young.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. I know what it's like to lose a young golden. Ours passed at the age of 5 years one day in July. It's so shocking! It's not fair either. You did everything you were supposed to do. Please be gentle with yourself-Ava wouldn't want you to be sad.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,173 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss of your beautiful Ava, my thoughts are with you.

Godspeed sweet girl

FYI: I moved your posts about Ava into her own thread.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am so very sorry. I lost my Oliver just 20 days past his 5th birthday in June. I understand how you are questioning everything, because I did the same. It is tragic to lose them at such a young age. There are so many unknowns as to why goldens are getting cancer younger and younger. I hope in time, you will let go of the thought that you may have contributed in some way. Ava was so lucky to have you because it's obvious to me how much you loved her. Sometimes we are left without an explanation. It's heartbreaking. For me, it has now 5 months and I'm finding that the sadness is still lingering, but the guilt is going away. I wish and pray the same for you. Hugs.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss and the heartache you are feeling. Ava was a beautiful girl and sounds wonderful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts