Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What expectations should we have for our 6 month old in regards to obeying when we say NO! And when does the stubborness stop? I love Darby so much but am concerned about the way my husband gets upset with her and yells loudly at her when correcting her. He thinks she should be obeying us better. I think she is a normal active Golden who might notbe getting quite enough exercise as she should due to bad weather. She stills plays indoors.....like with a penlight that she chases or chasing the balls.

She barks whenever I am in the kitchen preparing food and she seems to always want food:)

·
Missing Molly
1,524 Posts
A good dog is a tired dog. I live in Washington also so I know it's no fun to exercise your puppy/dog in inclement weather. My girls are outside with me several times a day. I have a 5 month old puppy, a 4 year old, and a 9 year old. we all go out together. sometimes the dogs play together, sometimes I throw the ball or other toys for them, and sometimes they just wander around the yard. If you are not inclined to go out and play with the puppy when it is not so nice outside, perhaps a obedience class is an option. I would really reccomend one in any case. All my girls past and present go to obedience classes with me. I would suggest bring your husband too, as yelling at a puppy is never a good plan of action. In class you would learn ways to engage your puppy in play and learn postitive reinforcemnt methods of training. The dogs always respond better to positive training methods. I hope this helps!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Allens girl is right, a good puppy IS a tired one. I take Annie to the pet store, or Home Depot when the weather is bad. The different smells, and meeting new people tire her out, plus it is a great place to practice manners!

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
With ya on this one. Kye is 7 mo and is trying to push her boundries a lot. Training has been forgotten and she doesnt realize she has gotten big and still wants to crawl all over you like when a babe. We have gone back to the basics, sit, down, treats, treats (did I forget to say treats?) for good behavior and try to just wear her out each afternoon with longer walks, more play time. This weekend for the first time I tried having her run with me as I rode my bicycle. Took a few starts until she (and I learned) but she did really well. Only problem is that she wants to keep going when I poop out! Thank heavens she likes to play fetch (Coop won't fetch), so a bucket full of balls later, she was ready to say she was tired.

I will be glad when training classes start up again and get her butt back in classes. Think we will all need a Certificate of Achievement by the time our pups start maturing and settling down. Allan's girl nailed it when she said a tired dog is a good dog, just finding things that will keep her attention and wear her out is a challenge and Coop is just 3 mo behind her in age. Hoping whatever I learn I can use with Coop when he hits this stage too.

Reactions: mayapaya

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Tucker is starting to push boundaries too. He'll be six months on 12/25. He knows perfectly well how to get into the back seat of the car when I say "up!" but he keeps stalling, etc. A trainer warned me that that is a sign of dog adolescence. LOL

I'm not quite sure how we're going to work around his stubbornness--probably with reinforcement training. Today, because my back is sore, I said "up" twice, and then waited him out. He finally got in and laid down.

I don't think yelling at dogs is ever a good idea unless they are in danger or about to do something really awful. My daughter yells when she gets impatient and I keep telling her he's going to stop listening to her. (He has, pretty much.) It's just not a good way to communicate, either with dogs or with people.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You all give great advice. I will try to get her playing outside more and longer walks here we come! Not sure if I will get my husband to stop yelling - hmmm, maybe time to get rid of the husband! :)

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
When the dog barks for food SAY NOTHING....put the food in the fridge with flair and leave the room!
Honestly it wont take too many dramatic exits before he figures out that barking impatiently for food...makes the people with the thumbs (and the ability to open the dog food container) leave!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
assuming he is housebroken and has stopped chewing the corner of the living room rug...don't get rid of him...he just needs more training;)
Seriously whisper every request in his ear for a day ....then on day two start yelling your requests.
Im guessing he will prefer the first option. ;)

You all give great advice. I will try to get her playing outside more and longer walks here we come! Not sure if I will get my husband to stop yelling - hmmm, maybe time to get rid of the husband! :)

Reactions: SheetsSM

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
Rainy Days

You might want to look at the posts on the Rainy Days topic on this Puppy Section for ideas: outings to pet stores and other dog friendly locations, puzzle toys, hiding toys under old towels and other inside games and training and learning tricks.

A new one for us: last weekend Maisie's trainer had a 6 foot long tubular tunnel for the puppy's in kindergarten to crawl through and it was endlessly entertaining. I think there might be one under the tree for her. It collapses and can come out in the family room on rainy days.

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
You might want to look at the posts on the Rainy Days topic on this Puppy Section for ideas: outings to pet stores and other dog friendly locations, puzzle toys, hiding toys under old towels and other inside games and training and learning tricks.

A new one for us: last weekend Maisie's trainer had a 6 foot long tubular tunnel for the puppy's in kindergarten to crawl through and it was endlessly entertaining. I think there might be one under the tree for her. It collapses and can come out in the family room on rainy days.
Where did you get the tunnel from?

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Yes Jluke, where did you get the tunnel from. Only ones I have seen are more for smaller breeds, unless you get a full agility one (very expensive).

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
This is an awesome idea for in the house play. Roll a ball through the tunnel and watch them go.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
Target and IKEA

Our trainer's tunnels were from these two stores. They seemed sturdy enough for use by puppies in class and around the house, but not, of course for serious training. I think they were designed for toddles.

I haven't shopped yet and probably won't until after January 1st with all the holiday hub-bub and the tree up in the family room...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts