Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Goldens Rule in SW PA!
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't intend to jinx this, but we may be getting another four-fur-footed addition to the family on Sunday.

David and I are driving down to Almost Heaven GR Rescue & Sanctuary to check out "Polyanna" (her pic is on the website, front & center). She's 3 and had a pretty rough life (she looks starved--literally!). She is supposed to be very timid at first--but 'warms up' to you after a short while. If it goes well, we'll be bringing her home to meet our other two (Atticus and Jordie).

If that goes well--we'll be set.

Now comes the hard part: we need a name. I know there have been other threads on girls names--but I can't locate them (can anyone help me?). Or if you'd like to suggest some--please, fire away! Or if you have links to other websites--that'd do, too. It's been a number of years since we brought a new pooch into the household.

Perhaps a one-syllable name? (Atticus is 3 syllables, Jordie is 2.....). But not necessarily...

Anyway, wish us luck.

And if you have any suggestions for how to introduce Polly to our two or things we should keep in mind for the first few weeks--that'd help out immensely, too.

Scott J.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Congratulations on your potential addition! I've always found it best to introduce dogs to each other on neutral territory. A nearby fenced area would be ideal. Also try to avoid giving any of the three attention for a while until the new girl gets settled in. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
203 Posts
As Oaklys Dad suggested....I'd have them meet on neutral territory. That way neither one feels the need to defend their home. Also I love the name Katie. She looks like a Katie. That was the name of my little angel and for some reason I see my little girl in her eyes. She is a keeper tho.....keep us posted on if she comes home with you.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Good luck! I have a ton of names for females. I like Tara, Tess (in memory of my old Tess girl who was a rescue), Sara, Jessie, oh, I could go on! I hope it works out for you! I can't wait to see pictures.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Wish I could help. We had a boy name aleady picked out, now we are getting a girl. We have been trying to come up with something we all can agree on for over a month. We get the puppy in a week & 1 day. GUess we better decide soon.
Here is one site I have been using.
Goodluck & if you come up with a second one, I could sure use one. LOL

http://www.5stardog.com/dog-names.asp?letter=B#B

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
She looks like a Bella to me :) (Or Belle if you wanted 1 syllable??)

Whatever you decide, I'm sure it won't matter to her...she'll be so happy to have a loving family! (Hope everything goes great)
:--heart:

·
Registered
819 Posts
Scarlett, Miss Prissy, Melaine, Katie, Sacha, Clementine, Ashley, Ginger, especialy if shes red. Didnt see the link. Hmm, Emma those are the ones I'll choose from for myself if we ever get another female.

·
Goldens Rule in SW PA!
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Goldens Rule in SW PA!
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How about Scout, to go along with Atticus, from To Kill a Mockingbird.

Wow--this is great! So many good names to chose from.

Keep 'em coming!

I like Scout, too--for the same reasons. We Stillers fans must think alike, huh? :D

Thanks!

SJ

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Good for you. We adopted one just like her and we got a gem!!!!!!!!!!!! Her name is Cigganitcha Krulitcha. (Hungarian for the Gypsy Queen. we are her 3rd home hope and know that you will have the same luck we did!

·
old but new
711 Posts
Good luck! I hope everything works out and she gets a new home! :)
Female doggie names are hard....lets see..... Keely-(means beautiful) Sarah, Maddie, Jazzmine, Joy, Kiley, Gracie, Holly, Jenna, Lily, Lola, Zoey..... whew! That was hard enough!! LOL Good luck! :wave:

·
Dog Lover
42,036 Posts
Good Luck

I think it is wonderful you're thinking of adopting from Almost Heaven-Bless You!!

I love the name Pollyanna, but guess you don't.
Couple of my favorite name are: Munchkin, Smooch, Grace, Hope, Charity, Faith.

HERE'S YOUR POLLYANA:

Attachments

·
Goldens Rule in SW PA!
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
May I ask.....where did you get the names Atticus and Jordie?
Atticus: from Atticus Finch, from the movie "To Kill A Mockingbird". It is one
of David and my favorite movies...

Jordie: Jordie was a rescue--also from AHGRR. When we met him, his
original 'rescue' name was "Gordo"--(which we REALLY didn't like)--
but he sorta responded to it. So, we modified it to 'Jordie' as a
compromise.

Woo-Hoo--keep those names coming!

SJ

1 - 20 of 45 Posts