Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Atticus is 3yrs old and had his first seizure yesterday that only lasted 2 to 3 minutes, today he had one that lasted 8 to 10 minutes. Dr did blood test, that came back normal so we are starting him on phenobarbital tonight. Breaks my heart, how are others doing on this medication

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hello,
Just joined the forum today, but I have been lurking at the seizures topics for a while. My Great Gatsby had his first seizure 3 weeks before his 4th birthday around Christmas 2016, then 3 or 4 more seizures shortly after. The first one was really bad and long, so was the 3th episode. Surely, he had his blood test done, all normal, then neurological evaluation, MRI all came normal. The neurologist recommended me a few options for medications, since Gatsby had a few episodes in a span of couple of weeks. The neurologist said his seizures are most likely genetical,which I didn't believe. Knowing this is not a brain cancer or any disease the neurologist uncovered, I declined the medications. I just remembered, years ago my first Golden, Buddy at age of 4 had a few seizures in the winter time. We did the usual tests, MRI, nothing interesting came out of this. I changed the diet and Buddy never had any seizure again till he passed away in 2013. Now with Gatsby, I see similar pattern occurring. Christmas time, lots of food around, huge fire place (who knows what chemicals are in the burning wood), candles etc. Gatsby is on a strict diet now, only veggies, sweet patato, baked chicken and pork. I no longer clean my hardwood floors with chemicals (all naturalle) and we didn't have any episode in 4 weeks. I hope it stays that way, I believe there is a high correlation between the diet/environment and the seizures. Even if you decided on the medication, please look at the labels on your pup food as well as the surroundings, check the ingredients in the diet and run it through internet, you may be very surprised to see that grains (as an example) can cause seizures. The chances your pup has a genetical condition are fairly small.
With Regards,
Joanna

·
Registered
9 Posts
Our Atticus is 3yrs old and had his first seizure yesterday that only lasted 2 to 3 minutes, today he had one that lasted 8 to 10 minutes. Dr did blood test, that came back normal so we are starting him on phenobarbital tonight. Breaks my heart, how are others doing on this medication

Hi! I definitely agree with Joanna that stress and environmental and food can all contribute. What dosage if phenylbarbitol has been prescribed and what is your dogs weight? I would look at your food and eliminate all grains from your dogs diet. A vet that practices both eastern and western medicine can evaluate your dog conventionally and also his chakras and meridians and see if something is out of balance from a Chinese medicine perspective. My Peaches had her first seizure at 17 months. Nothing revealed from all the tests. Her seizures continued sporadically for the next 2 months but all in the middle of the night when she was sleeping. We changed her diet and added eggs and salmon oil to her diet as her blood qi was deficient. We also started her on different Chinese herbs. After having 2 seizures within 6 hours 2 months after her 1st my vet started her on the phenylbarbitol but because of the rest of the herbs a very low dose controlled them. She also takes pycnogenol which lessens the spaciness the phenylbarbitol can cause. Also there are different acupressure points you can use during a seizure to help lessen the severity and if nothing else it gives you something to do besides feel helpless. I hope our experience can help you and give you some ideas of alternative or combination treatments. I know it's scary! Good luck!! Hugs to you and Atticus!
-Nina

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
3 goldens
11,905 Posts
Our Sophie was 12 when she had her first seizure--that we know of. We came home from grocery shopping to find her blocking the front door, unable to move. She would wait there for us when we left the house. I had to literally use the door to push her far enough I could get in and go unlock the garage so hubby could put the door up and come in. We hae padlocks on our 6 foot wood gate leading into the back yard.

Anyway, she had pooped and peed on herself and couldn't get up at all. I knew it was either a stroke or seizure, but it was actually over when we got home. This happened a couple of days after we had given her Bravecto. Then a few weeks later she had another one and it was bad. I then learned about placing an ice pack on their back at their "waist". It helps cool them down--temps can go up to 107 I read, and cause brain damage. Just a few days later she had another, only not as bad and I had prepared an ice pack for her. Not sure if that help prevent the seizure from being worse or not, but I do know she recovered faster as well.

My vet was out of town at a seminar and had a sub. I took Sophie in and this vet prescribed the phenobarbital and it was awful for poor Sophie. She already had hip and knee trouble when we adopted her shortly after she had turned 11. And Pheno took everything out of her back end. She would fall over and be so scared. I was told she would adjust in a couple of weeks, but she got worse and I took her off it. My vet said he would not have put her on it. She never had another seizure and we lost her a few months later to lymphoma jut shy of her 13th birthday.

·
Leslie
719 Posts
My Helo had seizures every couple of weeks when I got him from a rescue (5 1/2 years ago). He was on phenobarbitol but it didn't help him at all. They told me to increase his dose every time he had a seizure but that wasn't helping so I took him to a different vet and he was put on potassium bromide which has helped him immensely. He was seizure free for a couple of years and then some dog food caused more seizures, bad ones. I stopped that food (I call it poison) and he has been seizure free for over 3 years. I think in his case, the seizures were caused by something in the food. He is still on KBr just in case but I make sure he only gets the food and treats that I know don't cause seizures. I don't ever try new treats with him. He does eat some people food like chicken, carrots, green beans, apple and cucumber and has no problems. The poison food was fish flavored so I don't give him anything with fish in it in case that was what he reacted to. I hope you are able to manage Atticus's seizures. I'm not a fan of phenobarb. It can damage the liver but if it helps eliminate seizures, then you gotta do what you gotta do. You might try changing his food to a high quality grain free variety. Good luck!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts