Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here, but I need advice about my sweet Golden girl, Molly. She is 7 years old and was diagnosed with environmental allergies when she was about 3 years old by a veterinary dermatologist. She has been on allergy injections and has had occasional flare ups over the years, which have been easily resolved with cephalexin and prednisone.

Well, I would say about 7-8 months ago she had a horrible flare up, but it was localized to her anal and vulvar area. The dermatology vet suspected Molly had developed an allergy to her food (Canidae), so she recommended Royal Canin Venison and Potato. Molly seemed to be doing better.

Now it just seems like she is itchy ALL the time. I am sick of dealing with rounds of prednisone and antibiotics. Molly has gotten so she hates taking pills and frankly, I don't blame her. I feel like with the allergy injections three times a week, bathing weekly, washing bedding weekly, and a prescription dog food we shouldn't be having all these flare ups.

Our regular vet suggested we talk to the dermatology vet about Atopica. I have an appointment for Molly on December 23rd with the dermatology vet to talk to her about Atopica and she will do blood work and an urinalysis on Molly.

Has anyone gone this route with their dog? Did the Atopica help? I just want Molly to stop being so miserable. :(

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
I was going to try it but then I found out it would cost me $300-$400 a month for my dogs size (65 pounds). So I decided against it. People I know who can afford it are using it and they say it has helped their dog

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have dealt with skin problems with several dogs. I found the best answer was going raw- and giving plenty of omega 3 fats. One other tip I might offer to help with the non stop itching is to give your molly some vitamin b-5. I give my Lola half a 500 mg capsule twice a day in her food.( or 500 mgs a day total)( I open it up and reclose it). B-5 works on the adrenals like cordisone without all the negatives. When Lola gets itchy I start her on this and it works like a charm. It will control itching from fleas or other itchy skin issues.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have dealt with skin problems with several dogs. I found the best answer was going raw- and giving plenty of omega 3 fats. One other tip I might offer to help with the non stop itching is to give your molly some vitamin b-5. I give my Lola half a 500 mg capsule twice a day in her food.( or 500 mgs a day total)( I open it up and reclose it). B-5 works on the adrenals like cordisone without all the negatives. When Lola gets itchy I start her on this and it works like a charm. It will control itching from fleas or other itchy skin issues.
I am seriously considering going raw, but will that help her environmental allergies? Are there any companies out there that have the raw food already prepared?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I am seriously considering going raw, but will that help her environmental allergies? Are there any companies out there that have the raw food already prepared?
environmental allergies can be stirred up so to speak when there are food issues. Sensitivies to environment that a normal immune system could handle. Of course other things could be causing the problem-- But, The main thing we can control is their diet. It would be worth trying it for several months to see. There are several good companies that provide raw prepared food. I buy 5 pound chubs by Bravo. They have vegetables etc all mixed in together. It is by no means the only company. Many people on this board buy their raw from their butchers. This may be cheaper- hopefull someone will fill you in on this. Good luck with Molly!:wavey:

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Ruby suffers from environmental/food allergies also. Raw diet, weekly baths, weekly allergy shots, fish oil, daily vacuuming, wiping feet after walks and I am sure I have left something out with everything that has to be done. We have been experimenting with different doses of Temaril-P for the last few months and as of yesterday the vet has put her on one pill daily. Atopica was suggested last year after allergy tests came back. I wanted to exhaust all options before considering it. Within that time, Ruby was diagnosed with autoimmune thyroiditis. Her immune system is so messed up that I will not give her Atopica. Please do your research on the drug before you give it to Molly. I know the misery you live with and it certainly is not a quality life for Molly. I wish you and Molly the best.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ruby suffers from environmental/food allergies also. Raw diet, weekly baths, weekly allergy shots, fish oil, daily vacuuming, wiping feet after walks and I am sure I have left something out with everything that has to be done. We have been experimenting with different doses of Temaril-P for the last few months and as of yesterday the vet has put her on one pill daily. Atopica was suggested last year after allergy tests came back. I wanted to exhaust all options before considering it. Within that time, Ruby was diagnosed with autoimmune thyroiditis. Her immune system is so messed up that I will not give her Atopica. Please do your research on the drug before you give it to Molly. I know the misery you live with and it certainly is not a quality life for Molly. I wish you and Molly the best.
Thank you, Vicky. We just had a full thyroid panel done and Molly's thyroid is fine at this time. I will ask about Temaril-P when we go in on the 23rd. Thank you, again.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Brewer was happy and healthy until he was about 10 years old. Then he began to suffer from allergies that grew worse and worse. We treated him with just about everything that the vet could suggest, changed his diet, added supplements - all to no avail.

Finally we tried Atopica. Yes, it was expensive and he wasn't thrilled about taking these huge pills, but the photos speak volumes. He rubbed his face so often and so hard that he was literally hairless. After about six months it grew back and he stopped rubbing.

At age 13+ he did pass to the bridge. We will probably never know if the atopica contributed to the decline in his (non allergy related) health. Anyway, it is something to consider.

Attachments

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I do know a few dogs that have to be on this medication for life, and yes, it is very expensive for a large dog. I hope you can work something out and get relief for your pup!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brewer was happy and healthy until he was about 10 years old. Then he began to suffer from allergies that grew worse and worse. We treated him with just about everything that the vet could suggest, changed his diet, added supplements - all to no avail.

Finally we tried Atopica. Yes, it was expensive and he wasn't thrilled about taking these huge pills, but the photos speak volumes. He rubbed his face so often and so hard that he was literally hairless. After about six months it grew back and he stopped rubbing.

At age 13+ he did pass to the bridge. We will probably never know if the atopica contributed to the decline in his (non allergy related) health. Anyway, it is something to consider.
Wow. The difference in Brewer is amazing. I know Atopica is expensive, but I swear the amount of money we spend on allergen serum, needles, prescription dog food, and then the all the money for the frequent dermatology vet visits for flare ups that if Atopica works we are bound to start saving some money. Honestly, I just want Molly to feel better.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do know a few dogs that have to be on this medication for life, and yes, it is very expensive for a large dog. I hope you can work something out and get relief for your pup!
I know it is expensive, but like I said in a previous post I swear the amount of money we spend on allergen serum, needles, prescription dog food, and then the all the money for the frequent dermatology vet visits for flare ups ($200-$300 a visit) that if Atopica works we are bound to start saving some money. Honestly, I just want Molly to feel better.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Atopica is great, it is very expensive. We are starting to use it in cats for the inflammatory stomatitis they get. When cats are first starting out, it is $80/month! They are considerably smaller than a golden.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
I dont think there is a reason why that medication is so expensive. Yes drugs cost money but I find here anyway how they charge something is based on how well it works. For instance. Cephelexin is cheap. I paid $40 for 2 weeks worth when Lincoln had his gland infection. Didnt do a darn thing. Then he offers me Baytril....for $200, cured it up.

Sometimes I wonder if they hold our pets health hostage in how they set prices so they can use the "If you love your pet, put him on this $400 a month medication". I would never put my dog on that at that cost

My vet has to specially order it in because no one wants to buy it so it just sits on the shelves

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dont think there is a reason why that medication is so expensive. Yes drugs cost money but I find here anyway how they charge something is based on how well it works. For instance. Cephelexin is cheap. I paid $40 for 2 weeks worth when Lincoln had his gland infection. Didnt do a darn thing. Then he offers me Baytril....for $200, cured it up.

Sometimes I wonder if they hold our pets health hostage in how they set prices so they can use the "If you love your pet, put him on this $400 a month medication". I would never put my dog on that at that cost

My vet has to specially order it in because no one wants to buy it so it just sits on the shelves
I hear 'ya. It is SO ridiculous. Highway robbery.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
It's the drug companies that set the prices. Cephalexin is generic, baytril is not.

·
every moment is a gift
3,127 Posts
I am new here, but I need advice about my sweet Golden girl, Molly. She is 7 years old and was diagnosed with environmental allergies when she was about 3 years old by a veterinary dermatologist. She has been on allergy injections and has had occasional flare ups over the years, which have been easily resolved with cephalexin and prednisone.

Well, I would say about 7-8 months ago she had a horrible flare up, but it was localized to her anal and vulvar area. The dermatology vet suspected Molly had developed an allergy to her food (Canidae), so she recommended Royal Canin Venison and Potato. Molly seemed to be doing better.

Now it just seems like she is itchy ALL the time. I am sick of dealing with rounds of prednisone and antibiotics. Molly has gotten so she hates taking pills and frankly, I don't blame her. I feel like with the allergy injections three times a week, bathing weekly, washing bedding weekly, and a prescription dog food we shouldn't be having all these flare ups.

Our regular vet suggested we talk to the dermatology vet about Atopica. I have an appointment for Molly on December 23rd with the dermatology vet to talk to her about Atopica and she will do blood work and an urinalysis on Molly.

Has anyone gone this route with their dog? Did the Atopica help? I just want Molly to stop being so miserable. :(
Although, we have not used Atopica, I thought my recent experience with a similar situation might be of use. Our story is very similar to yours.

Atopica was something I strongly considered and was hoping to discuss as an option when we met with the dermatologist recently. I was told that both the allergy shots and Atopica are similarly effective percentage wise. Because Hannah had surgery for a soft tissue sarcoma and there are indications that Atopica increases chances of that cancer, they said they would not recommend she use it.

It had been 7 years since Hannah had blood testing done for allergies, and, since she had shown improvement on the injections, they recommended retesting. I was told it would be unusual to have more than 2 new allergens, but that hopefully previous allergens would have decreased. When the results came back, a number of allergens had decreased or been eliminated completely, but she had 7 new allergens. They reworked her injections, incorporating the old and new, and we are working up to the regular dose.

Additionally, as someone else mentioned they use, they put her on a decreasing dose of Temeral-P with the hope to find the lowest maintenance dose. The big change that we had was they have her on an 8 week hypoallergenic trial diet - no treats, no other food, nothing. She's not enjoying the food (Purina HA - predigested soy protein) and I'm skeptical that we'll make it 8 weeks....

BUT, her skin is in great shape, the itching has been reduced to a minimum, she's in a GREAT mood for the most part - it's amazing and I hope we can find a way to maximize these results while getting her medicines stabilized and find a food that she enjoys and works for her.

Best of luck to you all. I absolutely understand just wanting them to have a quality life and doing what you can to make sure that happens.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Although, we have not used Atopica, I thought my recent experience with a similar situation might be of use. Our story is very similar to yours.

Atopica was something I strongly considered and was hoping to discuss as an option when we met with the dermatologist recently. I was told that both the allergy shots and Atopica are similarly effective percentage wise. Because Hannah had surgery for a soft tissue sarcoma and there are indications that Atopica increases chances of that cancer, they said they would not recommend she use it.

It had been 7 years since Hannah had blood testing done for allergies, and, since she had shown improvement on the injections, they recommended retesting. I was told it would be unusual to have more than 2 new allergens, but that hopefully previous allergens would have decreased. When the results came back, a number of allergens had decreased or been eliminated completely, but she had 7 new allergens. They reworked her injections, incorporating the old and new, and we are working up to the regular dose.

Additionally, as someone else mentioned they use, they put her on a decreasing dose of Temeral-P with the hope to find the lowest maintenance dose. The big change that we had was they have her on an 8 week hypoallergenic trial diet - no treats, no other food, nothing. She's not enjoying the food (Purina HA - predigested soy protein) and I'm skeptical that we'll make it 8 weeks....

BUT, her skin is in great shape, the itching has been reduced to a minimum, she's in a GREAT mood for the most part - it's amazing and I hope we can find a way to maximize these results while getting her medicines stabilized and find a food that she enjoys and works for her.

Best of luck to you all. I absolutely understand just wanting them to have a quality life and doing what you can to make sure that happens.
Wow. Thank you so much for this. I really appreciate you sharing your experience with me. I have a running list of things to ask our dermatology vet, but retesting never occurred to me, so thank you.

I just switched Molly to a raw diet as well, so I am hoping to see some improvements there. She is actually excited to eat again. I don't think she liked the prescription food she was on and we also give no treats, no other food, etc. She does snatch a little something every now and then from my 4 year old son, but that is so hard to prevent, however we have been working on it. :)

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
It's the drug companies that set the prices. Cephalexin is generic, baytril is not.
I paid, 40 for 28 500mg Cephalexin tabs. The human drug store wanted like $20. When you order medications from the pharmacy or wherever you order from dont you mark up the price to double or more?

Is there a generic version of Baytril? isnt it Enrofloxacin or something along those lines?

I also read online theres a generic of Atopica and its cheaper then the Atopica brand (same active ingredient)

Cyclosporine (Modified) Generic To Atopica - 1800PetMeds

1 - 20 of 22 Posts