Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Harley at some of a toy yesterday - it consisted of fabric, rope, & stuffing. Most of the destroyed part was picked up before he could eat a lot, but we did find out this morning he must have ate some because he threw up first thing (just a bit of fabric & food - not a lot) and had some issues at the other end (I won't get much more graphic than that, although I will say I'm completely amazed he was able to pass as much toy as he did - very scary :uhoh: ).

He seemed fine last night (ate, went to the bathroom) so I didn't realize he had actually ate some of the toy until this AM. I did notice last night he seemed to be panting more than usual but I was attributing that to my exercise with him and a warmer day in eastern PA for the dead of winter. I'm guessing that wasn't really the case.

My question to everyone is how long until we are in the clear? As of this AM it was over 12 hrs since would have eaten some of the toy. If he's eating, drinking, passing things through, is that a good sign? :crossfing Is there still a chance of a blockage?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I am by no means an expert, but saw that you haven't gotten any responses yet, so thought I'd chime in with my very limited knowledge. What I know is that while pooping is a good sign, it is still possible that there is a blockage, as any poop ahead of the blockage can still pass. Dogs can also have diarrhea at any time during a blockage. It is a good sign that he did pass some of it, though. Do you have any sense of how much is still missing? I would feel the abdomen. If his stomach feels stiff or hot to the touch, take him to the vet ASAP. Is he acting normal? Another sign of blockage is attempting to either puke or poop with nothing coming out. If you see that, take him in right away as well. Have you noticed any unusual behavior?
It is amazing what they can eat and be fine, but I would definitely be watching him very carefully. Personally I am careful not to leave a dog along when they have eaten something I am concerned about. Chances are that he will be fine, especially since he has passed some of it, but definitely keep an eye on him. These pups can worry us so much!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
It is always scary when they injest something they shouldn't. As long as he is eating, drinking, peeing, pooping and playing like normal then you are probably OK. If not I would get him to the vet.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses!! He is doing everything as he normally would - no unusual behavior or anything like that. Normal eating, drinking, playing, etc, etc. Even last night he played a lot (loves fetch with the ball) and we did our 1 1/2 mile walk. The only thing I had noticed was a bit more panting than normal. Today there was no panting. This AM he was his normal excited self for breakfast, we went on a mile walk, played ball. He seemed just fine - even after being 'sick'. His stomach is normal (no bloating, heat, etc).

I'll continue to monitor, but I'm hoping anything that needed to come through has.

Unfortuantely I have no idea how much was actually eaten, because it really was a huge ball of fluff. It was hard to piece it all back together to see what was missing. When I tried to do that, I really thought we got it all before he ate any, but obviously I was mistaken!!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Thanks for the responses!! He is doing everything as he normally would - no unusual behavior or anything like that. Normal eating, drinking, playing, etc, etc. Even last night he played a lot (loves fetch with the ball) and we did our 1 1/2 mile walk. The only thing I had noticed was a bit more panting than normal. Today there was no panting. This AM he was his normal excited self for breakfast, we went on a mile walk, played ball. He seemed just fine - even after being 'sick'. His stomach is normal (no bloating, heat, etc).

I'll continue to monitor, but I'm hoping anything that needed to come through has.

Unfortuantely I have no idea how much was actually eaten, because it really was a huge ball of fluff. It was hard to piece it all back together to see what was missing. When I tried to do that, I really thought we got it all before he ate any, but obviously I was mistaken!!
Glad to hear he's doing fine. If stuffing is basically all that is missing, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'd worry more about a lot of fabric or rope. Stuffing is so flexible, I wouldn't think it would be at all likely to cause a blockage.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I don't know about blockages (thank goodness), but synthetic stuffing can cause severe stomach upset. My guy had to spend a couple of days at the vet's after eating some couch fabric that did not agree with him. even though he passed it all fine, his stomach and intestines got inflamed.
I hope it was just a scare and nothing else happens.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
My Sampson is terrible and has ingested many things he should not. I am all too familiar with "mess" coming from both ends! I feel so lucky he has always managed to pass everything he has eaten.

Hopefully Harley will recover with no problems. I wish I could say they learn from their mistakes but no such luck. I have had Sammy almost four years and I still have to be so careful. He'll eat anything!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
my goodness am i ever surprised to see what can come out of the poop end of my girls. i try so hard to be vigilent about leaving anything that can be consumed around, but those paper towels disappear if a piece is left on the table or counter.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am happy to report I think everything has made it's way out from both sides. I hate to be so graphic, but I would have much rather dealt with what was coming out the back end than what I had to deal with coming out the front end yesterday. That was super-scary - I cannot believe he didn't end up with a blockage.

What I find interesting is that he was eating, playing, drinking all normally. Even before he threw up the massive amount of stuff he was playing. But I will say after it all came out he was running around like crazy - almost like 'aahhh, now it's all gone!'.

Whew - crisis averted! I think I mentioned in my other post he's lost access to any stuffed toys unless we are there in the room with him. :)

·
and now Chance too!
608 Posts
I am happy to report I think everything has made it's way out from both sides. I hate to be so graphic, but I would have much rather dealt with what was coming out the back end than what I had to deal with coming out the front end yesterday. That was super-scary - I cannot believe he didn't end up with a blockage.

What I find interesting is that he was eating, playing, drinking all normally. Even before he threw up the massive amount of stuff he was playing. But I will say after it all came out he was running around like crazy - almost like 'aahhh, now it's all gone!'.

Whew - crisis averted! I think I mentioned in my other post he's lost access to any stuffed toys unless we are there in the room with him. :)

Glad to hear everything's OK. Don't worry about being graphic, you'd be amazed at what passes for "normal" conversations and descriptions here...:):):)

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Hank ate half a nyla bone, no problems and puked it up 2 weeks later. I thought those things were indestructible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts