Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vet says now is ok (13 weeks). She was going to reccomend Frontline Advantage Multi.

I decided to wait. It's not that hot in the bay area CA, and reading reactions to the treatments is kind of scary. Thoughts and reccomendations?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I used frontline for fleas and ticks and heartguard for heartworm at 8 weeks old. Vet said it was ok . Today she is 11 weeks old and we have not had any problems.

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
I found the Frontline (Plus) was no longer working for my lab. I switched to Advantix and it works great. i started on Oakley at 5 months as ticks are scarce in Florida lately. He is 6 months now and im going to skip this months dose. and Heartgard for heartworm prevention is monthly:)

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Start NOW. Heartworm disease can infect puppies too and it's plenty hot enough in July for heartworm to be transmitted. Plus nearly all heartworm preventives control intestinal parasites too.

Reactions: Dallas Gold

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Hank was started on heartworm and flea preventative at his first vet visit (5.5 weeks).
No problems or side effects.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Mine start heartworm meds at 8 weeks.. either heartgard plus or interceptor. Depending on flea/tick situations, they can start frontline plus then.

Reactions: Dallas Gold

·
Premium Member
18,641 Posts
Please start heartworm prevention NOW. Heartworms are transmitted by mosquitoes and they infect puppies as easily as adult dogs.

·
Serawyn
253 Posts
We started at our first vet visit at 8 weeks old. Ellie got an all in one heart worm, flea, and ticks.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all. Her next visit is in a couple weeks so we'll get the rx then. And i'ts Advantage MULTI I think (not Frontline).

·
Registered
926 Posts
I started my now 4 year old on Interceptor when he was 10 weeks old (when he came home from the breeder). You should not wait to start. Puppies can get heartworm.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Thanks all. Her next visit is in a couple weeks so we'll get the rx then. And i'ts Advantage MULTI I think (not Frontline).
Multi will be great (as long as ticks aren't an issue for you). Those "all-in-one" products are really handy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts