Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
JH, SH, WC, WCI, WCX
Anything related to dock diving, shed hunting, parlor tricks.....................
Gotcha! I agree on dock diving. I don't know enough about shed hunting to have an opinion. Parlor tricks....are you referring to Trick Titles? I admit that I felt like I was cheating as I took Winx through the titles until I got to TKE....that one was HARD! They changed the rules and made them harder soon after she got everything but the TKE. Pilot is very serious, he thinks tricks are for losers.

·
Registered
314 Posts
" Pedigree: OTCH Meadowpond Especial One UDT SH WCX OD OBHF

So you would have passed on a dog like this one because neither of her parents had a field title higher than a WC and you look at her pedigree, it is basically all breed dogs.

And I suppose you wouldn't have taken a puppy from the litter between her and Apache? "

I would consider her side of the pedigree being full of holes.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Dismissing some dogs just because of what's on paper vs knowing how the dogs compliment each other and what they could produce.... that's problematic.
Pedigrees certianly don't tell the whole story and not all great dogs are the product of a meticulously planned breeding. A great many are but some are just by chance.

·
Premium Member
16,421 Posts
I own a dog training center, and we see between 600 and 800 teams a week. Lots of doodles, coberdogs, sheepadoodles, morkies, etc. I get to know the breeders too, and a few even do clearances.

One facet of owning these dogs is the surprise factor; there's no "typical" predictable result. Someone expected a small, confident doodle and got an 80lb spooky one; someone else expected a standard poodle sized hypoallergenic dog, but ended up with a 30 lb cutie to whom the kids are allergic.

One of the sheepadoodles was purchased to do agility, but he "daisy clips" aka hits his front pasterns with his back paws.

I keep my dog trainer hat on, and really do love all dogs. However, my vast exposure to mixes, crossbreds, sport crosses, and rescues heightens my devotion and stewardship of the purebred golden.

I have a family of goldens who is bombproof, kindly, loving, motivated to partner up, affable to all living things, athletic, and tuned in.

I shake my head when the clients who own a neurotic morkie to whom they feed vegan food says I am "lucky".

I keep a small number of dogs with no crates or kennels, and they are all related except for Lushie Plushie. I've cultivated my family of dogs in every way- through health clearances and DNA, through temperament, through conformation/ showing, through therapy work. For example, my dog Mystic is an exceptional search and rescue dog who can stay with the Malanois and he also does therapy work 2x a week with post office, fed ex, and ups workers who have dog phobias. My dog HipHop is a certified Public Access tested service dog who works in the chaotic ER with my doctor friend and teacher "Doga" with her too at a studio.

Part of having a breeding PROGRAM is giving hard real world tests to the dogs upon which to base you options of them, not just saying or claiming things like oh they have good temperaments. If you watch HipHop in the Emergency Department greeting exhausted first responders with his characteristic zen, you will see for yourself. Yesterday, a bengal cat breeder brought a crate full of kittens to put on top of Dreamer so they could be socialized to dogs and explore. He lay there and thumped his plumey tail, and then licked them when they cuddled up.

By now, I can be very, very sure of the good and bad characteristics my family of dogs possesses in common plus what they pass on. They have bad qualities too. They tend to have stuffy necks, and every four or five litters, Mystic produces a yucky high tail. HipHop every four or five litters produces a puppy with only one testicle ( not sure of the genetics on that one.) Do I wish they didn't ? Yes. I'm I clear they do? Yes. Am I glad it isn't a horrible life threatening health issue? Yes.

I know these dogs through and through and through. That's why we're a "family", which to me is another word for "program'.

This is what I think defines a breeding program. Predictability. An understanding of recessives genes lurking or contributing. I have never met a crossbreeder or sport breeder who knew both sides of a pedigree. That doesn't mean they dont exists, but I do meet a ton of dog people every 6 week session.

·
Puddles
3,938 Posts
In my opinion the answer is simple, NEVER. Anyone that mixes breeds for profit only should never be considered credible. Mixing breeds for a reason such as service dogs mixing labs & goldens is for a purpose.
Maybe I've done rescue for too long, I've had way too many permanent fosters for dogs that could not be adopted out because of behavior or health issues. I've also had some wonderful mutts but didn't spend thousands to purchase them... they came from the pound. This country kills thousands of dogs every single day for no other reason than there are just too many.
The irresponsible people that breed these designer dogs strickly to support themselves. take no responsibility for what they produce If they don't sell... they send to the pound so they can have a new batch. Out here they dump them in the country or on the side of the road.... or drown them.
IMHO anyone that decides to make money off breeding mixed breed puppies should be required to put in 100 hours of community service at a kill shelter. And take a course in responsible breeding practices.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I shake my head when the clients who own a neurotic morkie to whom they feed vegan food says I am "lucky".
I hear that I'm lucky too. In reality, it's the years of work I've put into them and how I carefully chose the right dogs. Even my rescues were carefully chosen and have been trained. The vet loves to see my dogs because they look like goldens are supposed to look and because they are well behaved.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not gonna lie. If there was a 40lb version of Kona, that would be wonderful. But, given a choice between a 30lb-to-40lb "something" and Kona-at-65lbs, I'll gladly take Kona-at-65lbs.
Oh, I forgot, if you can take a bit of barking and some Northern breed sass, maybe check out the Keeshond. I've met a few and they are very cheerful, cuddly, friendly little buggers. I've been impressed, honestly. They can be a bit vocal, but they're very funny imo. They are exactly your size range though, so maybe give them a look!

·
Registered
800 Posts
I would guess...never. There’s this horrible misconception that if you take two dogs with a predisposition for cancer and breed them the risk of cancer goes down. That’s a fallacy. Cancer doesn’t cancel out cancer. Or “oh they’re hypoallergenic.” If that’s the case, my severely allergic cousin wouldn’t have the same reaction to your lab/poodle as he would to my golden. And he does.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts