Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious if there is a certain age with goldens when you just say, "okay, you can have this, yes, it's probably not good for you, but you've been so great and lived such a long life you can indulge?"

I've had some horses that either became such great show horses they could have extra special treats, or reached a certain age that they'd just earned them. Knock off Twizzlers (watermelon flavor sold at Sheetz); animal crackers and Peeps were all BIG HITS with the boys! We learned one horse loved champagne so he got half a glass over his grain and half out of a champagne flute after every show. Obviously, I'd never give a dog alcohol. Another adored vanilla ice cream with Budweiser, and after teaching enough of us how to ride (he was in his late 20's) he got this indulgence monthly. With horses it's a lot more common (I think) to give them a bite of this or a bite of that. I almost never give Milly human food unless it's meat, fruit or veggies, but we gave cheetos and jellybeans to our horses all the time!

Milly is 10-11ish, and we have had a deal since I got her that she will live healthily to be 15, and then after that she can decide how long she wants to go. She barked twice when I asked, so I assume she agreed with this arrangement. Sometimes I let her lick the cream cheese off the paper when I buy a bagel, but that is seriously the extent of her human food.

Part of me feels that I should keep her on dog-appropriate food until the day she dies, but part of me thinks she might enjoy a little soft serve ice cream now and then or some other delight. Who knows, maybe she’ll be like Monty (the incredible show pony I trained and showed until I sold him 5 years ago) and end up loving Peeps if she ever gets to try them! Right now I’m thinking at age 13 she can try these indulgences. What do y’all think? I just want her to enjoy her old age, but I know she isn’t old enough yet to do so.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
I don't think I would give my dog peeps....but then again I gave them to my human children and they weren't good for them either. LOL Chester has had soft ice cream from the end of my cone once...had the poops all evening. (I won't do that again) But we did have a very old kitty almost 20 and the last year of his life he ate white meat tuna and drank half and half everyday. I figure he could have whatever his little kitty heart wanted...we even took him to Florida with us on vacation and my parents were like what do you feed that cat!!! So I would make Milly wait for a few more years before you feed her to much bad stuff. ;-)

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
I always gave Cody delicious but dog appropriate human food, like homemade peanut butter treats, homemade Frosty Paws (plain yogurt, a banana and some peanut butter frozen into Dixie cups), steamed veggies. The point was to keep him as healthy as possible for as long as possible while still spoiling him a bit. On the day he died, he got popcorn, watermelon, PB treats and some steak, all of which he'd had on a regular basis throughout his life. I would steer clear of Peeps and stuff with sugar at any time unless you know she has hours to live. I like your arrangement with her, though....live to fifteen and then I'll overindulge you:)

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
My bigger concern than long term effects would be short term effects. You don't want to cause your dog to be miserable with diarrhea or horribly itchy skin. I think moderation is the key.

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Haha, my first thought when I read the title of this thread was "NEVER"! But now that I've read it I see what you mean. I think when they get to that point is different for all of 'em, although I agree with Louisiana that it has to be in moderation (I know of quite a few old fat dogs that could lose some weight--but when they get that old weight loss can be a bad sign).

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
Hmmm I've never really thought of it before - I suppose once they reach 10 I will probably start giving them more treats - but of course nothing that would be harmful to them! LOL - considering one of the BEST treats I could give Bailey is an ice cube, I'm sure she will be easy to please :)

My family cat is 16 and she pretty much gets whatever she wants. She begs for food worse than a dog! She's so cute and little (she only weighs about 7 lbs) and it has always been difficult to keep weight on her - so basically if she wants it, she gets it!!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
In my first cats last few months of his life, he would have coffee with me every morning. He liked his coffee like this: hold the coffee, extra cream :).

My dogs and cats get frozen custard (vanilla) on their birthdays. When the dogs have done something extra special or had a very trying day, they have a few carrot or apple slices.

The cats get a smidge of fresh turkey as a very special treat.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
I frequently share bits of foods that aren't harmful to my dogs. They're well behaved and I'm happy to share.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I will give pretty much anything to my dogs unless I know it is toxic to them. I've even given them candy before, just very very small pieces.

·
Dog Lover for Life
220 Posts
My ZsaZsa girl (Australian cattle dog) just turned 15 years old. A couple of weeks ago she had a case of vertago (something with her inner ear) the Vet called it by a diffrent name but can't think of it right now. She was from one moment to the next unstable on her legs and her eyes went crazy back and forth. Oh yeah it's called vastibular (something like that) desease. She had no appetite for a few days and she was very dizzy. Just through this she has aged considerable, She has lost about 4 lbs of body weight and that's a lot. She was always around 49Lbs and now she is a skinny 42.5 lbs. I feed her anything she wants to eat these days and she is takes full advantige of me:doh:. Sometimes I don't know what else I could feed her. I cook chicken, hamburger, some wet dogfood, some rice or noodles, some potatoes, veggies, one day one thing works the next she wants something else.
It's quiet interesting here sometimes.
Elke, ZsaZsa and Bogart

·
Retired Apache Pilot
40 Posts
Sergeant pretty much gets what he wants, but his favorite is Frozen Vanilla Yogurt at night before bed. It is lowfat, and good for the digestive system.

·
16,000 Posts
Lyric got a Peep when she was 15 at the GRCA National in Ohio. She was begging, and a friend said "You won't like it..." She LOVED it. She was obsessed. She got a Peep for special treats after that until the day she left us. There are much worse things that dogs get, some of them are even marketed for them.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Hahaha I do the same thing with my horse! I've had him since he was four and he's 14 now and retired due to an injury. We've been through enough that he'll have a good life until the end. He gets candy canes year round and we used to share a beer at horse shows occasionally (maybe more than occasionally). When school horses at the stable were getting up in age (many over 20 yrs old), I used to give them special treats, too. One little appy LOVED sugar donuts and cherry blasters so i snuck him those.

My cats when they were older loved steamed milks from Starbucks, so I'd give them the foam to lap up. My parents' old border collie (going on 16 this year) gets whatever he wants. He has always been so special and was our first rescue dog and thanks to him, everyone in my family gets dogs from rescue organizations. This special guy gets french fries, vanilla ice cream, pepperoni slices when my dad makes pizza...I used to give him part of my sandwhich for lunch. Last thanksgiving my aunt gave him real turkey off the bird, too. He doesn't eat like all this everyday but at least once a day he gets a special treat.

My dog is on a much more regimented food schedule. The most human food he gets is a raw egg once a week and whatever spills on the floor when I'm in the kitchen. When he gets older though, I'm sure I'll give him anything he wants! It's hard enough not to do now.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
My dogs routinely get healthy human food added to their bowls....... mostly, meat from our dinners and veggies. I also share as treats pieces of fruit...... banana, apple, pear, cantaloupe ( their fave) etc. Of course no grapes or raisins.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
I frequently share bits of foods that aren't harmful to my dogs. They're well behaved and I'm happy to share.
Same here. Diesel is very fussy anyway slo it is nice when I find a treat he really likes and common dog food doesn't reach Diesel's standards! I don't think Willow tastes her food as it gets sucked up like a vacuum but she likes treats too!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Our Goldens love turkey, salmon, and tuna. If I am making that, I will put some off to the side to mix in with their food. If I am eating an apple or a banana, I will cut a small slice for them and share it. We work a little training in . . .

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
OMG, I would never give my horses anything by horse food: hay, grain, carrots, apples. I would be too afraid of giving them the wrong thing. Not critizing any who do, I'm just not brave that way. I'm told Happy Harry loves watermelon but I'm too cheap to give him one. He even 'opened' the gate and let all the horses into his other mother's prized watermelon patch. He was IN TROUBLE big time!

Penny, however, gets handouts and tidbits all the time. I give her bits of all my meals unless it's absolutely something she should not have. Kind of funny that when she smells chocolate, she'll go away. She associates that smell with 'won't get any of THAT'. She still begs for raisins. And loves mini-marshmallows although we rarely have them around. Popcorn is her favorite along with pizza crust and toast.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Milly got 1/4 of a Pringle a week after I started this thread. She had also experimented with one mini marshmallow. She now gets one little bit of human food ever week or so (usually no bigger than a mini marshmallow). She's also had 3 cheddar gold fish... but I already knew she loved those from a counter surfing debacle the first month I owned her.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
One word of advice... NO PEEPS.

This whole story is TMI but here goes. Once... oh gosh I'll NEVER forget this... I was playing with my dog Josh and throwing little mini marshmallows at him to catch. He must have caught maybe 10 or so and we ended the game and went to sleep later that night. In the morning we went downstairs into the kitchen and smelled the most god awful smell ever. All over the kitchen floor was this green, nasty, gelatin looking diarrhea. It literally was all over the entire kitchen floor... my mom and I almost threw up. It took like almost an hour to clean the entire floor between the two of us.. we almost threw up several times.. the whole house stunk for days.

No more marshmallows were given to poor Josh ever.

So yea... give Milly other treats now and then.. she deserves it. :) But skip the Peeps!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts