Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone,

First time poster, but we are desperate for some positive news. Our 5 year old golden, Elsie got into some castor oil based product while we were at work on Wednesday. I came home to find her vomit all over the house and a very lethargic girl compared to her usual spunky self. We rushed her to the emergency vet where we expected to see some issues related to the product. Fortunately nothing was toxic but they diagnosed her with aspiration pneumonia. Her pulse and temperature have stabilized, but after 2 days on oxygen it appears her breathing is still very labored this morning. My wife went to visit today and she did seem more responsive, but respiration rates while resting are still in the 50s and jumping into the 70s when they take her outside. She is not eating really at all and receiving fluid and medication via an IV. The vet seems to keep telling us "it can get worse before it gets better" etc. The respiration rate not going down substantially after 2 days in oxygen has us very scared. We will do anything for this little girl but at $1600 a night we are desperate to talk with some other folks who have been through a similar situation and come out on the other side. If anyone can provide some information on your personal journey with this in a healthy young adult I would love to hear from you, as well as some info about how we can expect for our care once we are home(cross our fingers) hopefully Sunday. Thanks for your support.

Josh

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,721 Posts
I am so sorry about your girl.......

I don't have any experience with this, sure hope she will be doing better soon.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I'm sorry you and your girl are going through this. A former workmate of mine had a young daughter get into castor oil when she was a toddler and it resulted in aspiration pneumonia. They almost lost her but she did make it through after some time in the ICU. She made a full recovery and is a healthy teenager now. I would expect the first several days to be pretty touch and go. But hopefully she turns a corner in a day or two and can come home soon. Best wishes and please update us if you can.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I greatly appreciate both your responses and hate that I have not had the heart to come back here for a while. We lost sweet Elsie two weeks ago. After three days in an oxygen cage she took a turn for the worst and was struggling desperately to breathe. There was nothing more the doctor could do. The heartbreak paired with a terribly difficult financial bill at the bet kept me from wanting to talk to anyone about it. My wife and I got her while we were still dating right after college and she was our whole world. Our response to this seriously makes me wonder how people can even have children! We have been absolutely devastated, but we took in a 4 year old English Cream as a foster at the beginning of the year. She had been re-homed twice before and we could not deal with letting such a sweet, timid girl be forced to move again. While her personality quirks are 100 percent different I am so thankful we have her as I can't imagine how much more difficult this would be without hair still over our house and paws scratching the floor when we get home. I appreciate your concern and did not want to leave anyone hanging. She will be greatly missed, but I can't imagine a dog that had more love than Elsie. Hopefully will become a more permanent poster here.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Joah, I'm so sorry to hear the news about your Elsie. What a tragedy. It sounds like you did everything possible to help her have a fighting chance. I'm so sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that. My husband and I feel the same way about our girl. We're already planning on getting a second one eventually because it would be too hard to lose her without another one here. I'm glad that you have your foster girl. I hope you and your wife find comfort in the happy memories with Elsie and knowing that you gave her a good life.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts