Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 13 week old male Golden puppy. The breeder was feeding Kirland's (Costco) brand Signature Chicken and Rice, but I switched him to Innova Large Breed Puppy Food, which seems really good and is highly rated. I wasn't a member of Costco and needed something quick so I bout Innova. Puppy (not yet named) really likes it, but his output is soft, so I am thinking his digestion system is in transition mode and fully handling the Innova food. I do not feed grocery store junk and want to go with all-natural ingredients and no grain if possible. I wonder if Innova is too rich for him. Proten is 25% and fat 13%. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tomfoolery

Here's a pic of puppy.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Did you change the food without doing a slow transition? Puppies have extremely sensitive digestive systems and any changes in food need to be made very slowly. It's usually recommended that you mix the old food with the new for at least a couple of weeks. If you make a sudden switch in food without doing the gradual transition, that can give the puppy and upset stomach and stomach cramps, which will result in diarrhea, possible vomiting, and soft stools.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Your pup is very cute. The quick change could have upset his system. Most people suggest making a food switch over a week or two. Some pups do have trouble with higher protein foods. You might try adding a tablespoonful of canned pumpkin (not pie filling) to your pups food to firm things up.

·
SunKissed Goldens
975 Posts
The soft stool is probably from the quick change. I've fed Innova and liked it. Good luck with your puppy, he's adorable!

·
Chantilly Goldens
3,381 Posts
I agree the problems your seeing are probably from a quick switch. Innova is a good food and while it may not work for all dogs I would not really consider it a rich food. I would try it for a 4-6 weeks and see how it goes.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Hank eats Innova LBP and is doing very well on it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'm a Fromm lover for my puppies, but the Innova is a good food. Protein is around 24 which is good for a large breed puppy.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Innova is excellent quality food. I would give it a bit of time.

All the Innova brands are made at their own factories where they have total control over the quality and ingredients.

With the exception of his little no-eating tantrums (more on that in his continuing thread in the puppy section), Gilmour has done very well on Castor & Pollux. C&P UltraMix isn't cheap, but it looks almost good enough for ME to eat :)

But you already have him on a great food. I'd give it some time... Maybe add a little canned pumpkin to his meals (not pie filling). That might 'tighten' things up a bit.

I just got a 13 week old male Golden puppy. The breeder was feeding Kirland's (Costco) brand Signature Chicken and Rice, but I switched him to Innova Large Breed Puppy Food, which seems really good and is highly rated. I wasn't a member of Costco and needed something quick so I bout Innova. Puppy (not yet named) really likes it, but his output is soft, so I am thinking his digestion system is in transition mode and fully handling the Innova food. I do not feed grocery store junk and want to go with all-natural ingredients and no grain if possible. I wonder if Innova is too rich for him. Proten is 25% and fat 13%. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tomfoolery

Here's a pic of puppy.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Innova Large Breed Puppy didn't end up agreeing with my golden, I had her on Orijen which is much higher protein and thought I'd switch her to a lower protein diet, I did the switch very slowly and after 2 weeks was just at 1/2 and 1/2 and she was not doing well at all. Tried adding pumpkin for another week and still no luck. Switched her back to Orijen and she got better within a few days. Not sure what it was but she just couldn't eat that one for some reason.....it's different for every dog what will work with them!

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,602 Posts

Thanks,

Tomfoolery

Here's a pic of puppy.
That is a fairly radical change in foods, so it is not surprising that the stool is soft. To be honest I would initially look for a food similar in design to the Kirkland and see how it goes.

I would not recommend making radical changes in foods such as you've undertaken.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts