Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Monty rocks!!!
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, i have a boy golden puppy 9 months old. he started licking his left front paw quite a lot recently. there isn't a cut or injury there i'm pretty sure. what kind of problem could this be? :no: any ideas? thanks!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Is it just one paw? If it is, then it sounds like it has become a habit. My Daisy had a problem where she was licking her leg all the time. The vet told me to use Vicks Vapor Rub on the paw. Not right on the area but near it. The smell will keep them from wanting to lick. If it is all the paws, it sounds like it might be seasonal allergies. Try using some baby wipes to clean the paws when he comes inside to see if it helps.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It could,also,be a hot spot!.
Check in bet. the toes,to make sure that there's no sores!.
I agree with you, it could be a hot spot. You should take your boy to vet. That way you can know for sure if it is just a habit or not :confused:

·
Monty rocks!!!
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
took him to the vet today - anti fungal product???

thanks guys. it was just one paw and we took him to the vet today and he found some fungal stuff on his paw and advise us to use Malaseb Medicated Shampoo for his paws everyday, 10 mins each time.. but my golden isn't very cooperate though and it says poisoning on the bottle so i'm a bit worried if we can't rinse the shampoo off properly...:(

i was wondering is there any other effective product to kill fungal infections like a spray or so, so that we don't have to rinse it off? :uhoh:

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Listerene (the plain mouthwash) is an antifungal if your pup is still licking after the shampoo. I would bet there is enough residual left after rinsing of the shampoo to cause a problem. Getting used to medical procedures is part of being a puppy. It is good to have your pup used to being handled.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts