Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a loving golden who is 10 years old. He's had a difficult year health-wise. He had a benign testurgial (I'm not sure of the correct spelling) tumor for several months before it was diagnosed. We neutered him to fix the problem, as recommended by the vet, and he seems to be a lot better.

Unfortunately, the poor little guy is losing his fur. His belly was shaved back when he was still being diagnosed and they were giving him a sonogram and it took forever for the fur to grow back. When it finally began growing, it had to be shaved again for his surgery.

It's been a few months now, and the hair still hasn't grown back. To make matters worse, his fur has thinned dramatically. It's like he's been shedding normally, but the fur he is shedding is just not being replaced. The vet said it might be allergies or a thyroid problem, but he checked both and said neither was a problem.

Artie feels great, he's eating well and playing. He's been the happiest and most energetic than he has been in almost a year. The only thing that's worrying us is this fur issue. Has anyone else dealt with this before?

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
I would still suspect thyroid. A low-normal reading is actually very low for a Golden. Do you know what his numbers were?

It is very common for spayed/neutered dogs to be low thyroid. I always recommend checking thyroid between 3 and 6 months post spay or neuter.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Definitely have a FULL thyroid panel done. He sounds low but even if they say he is low normal that is too low for a golden.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I agree with the two others. Make sure it is a full panel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay thanks all. I'm not sure what his levels were, but I'll definitely make sure we look into the thyroid option some more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts