Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Arthritis Meds

536 Views 5 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Ontariodogsitter
I have a female golden who will be 9 yrs old in February. She began limping on her rear right leg recently. She had the same thing about 4 or 5 months ago and was put on Vetpofen for 2 weeks and it went away but started again just recently. I requested the vet to have her put on Galliprant since it is not so damaging to to the liver and kidneys. She has been on it for about a few weeks but still limps. The vet did X-rays and it is showing arthritis in her back legs and a little in the spine. She said the Galliprant is not as strong as the Vetprofen. So I am debating about the switch. She also said if the Vetprofen doesn’t work we could add gabapentin for pain. She also said that once she goes on Vetprofen…you can’t try another NSAID. Has anyone ever heard of this? Different nsaids can work differently from others. I also understand that there is a 7 day washout before starting another nsaid. Any ideas on this?
See less
I have a female golden who will be 9 yrs old in February. She began limping on her rear right leg recently. She had the same thing about 4 or 5 months ago and was put on Vetpofen for 2 weeks and it went away but started again just recently. I requested the vet to have her put on Galliprant since it is not so damaging to to the liver and kidneys. She has been on it for about a few weeks but still limps. The vet did X-rays and it is showing arthritis in her back legs and a little in the spine...
See more
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
14,269 Posts
I don't know anything about the Vetprofen and not being able to go on another. I wonder why that would be. Worth asking your vet for more info.

Many years ago when my last dog started to limp, I do remember the vet saying, we'll try this one and if it doesn't work, we'll try another. (She was talking about the various NSAIDs). It can take several weeks for one to work (it needs to build up in their system). But if there is no change after 6-8 weeks, yes, I'd want to try another. We lucked out and tried Deramaxx first, and it worked really well. My girl never limped again. We did blood work every six months since NSAIDs can be tough on organs, and I would do that again if my current dog ever needs to go on a daily pain med.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts