Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ace is now 20 weeks old and I've noticed over the last week that he seems to be very itchy, and is constantly scratching, biting and licking at himself!

I can't find any hint of a flea on him, and his skin looks perfectly healthy!

Does anyone have any idea about what could be causing this, and how I might remedy this without having to take another trip to the vet?!

PLEASE HELP! HE'S DRIVING ME CRAZY!

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Just imagine how crazy it's driving him! Can you imagine itching uncontrollably?

It could be fleas even if you haven't actually see one on him. Fleas spend approximately 90% of their time in the carpets and furniture. You can pick up a Capstar from the vet and give that to him to see if that helps. Has he been bathed lately?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just imagine how crazy it's driving him! Can you imagine itching uncontrollably?

It could be fleas even if you haven't actually see one on him. Fleas spend approximately 90% of their time in the carpets and furniture. You can pick up a Capstar from the vet and give that to him to see if that helps. Has he been bathed lately?
I had planned on going to vet shortly actually, to get something for the fleas just incase they are there.

He was last bathed about 2 weeks ago after he got himself covered in sand and dirt at the dog park, but I also brush him regularly. All in all he's a very clean dog, doesn't smell at all. I also don't bathe him excessively. He's only been in the bath 3 times since I've had him, and only one of those times was puppy shampoo used (the most recent time).

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
It could be a reaction to the puppy shampoo, though I really think it's likely fleas. The Capstar will start killing fleas within 20 minutes and continue to kill for up to 24 hours. If you haven't used a topical flea treatment (Frontline Plus, K9 Advantix), you should probably go ahead and do that, too.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
If it's not fleas, it could be seasonal allergies. My Gunner is shedding so bad and is scratching from dry skin. I give him fish oil to help his coat and he eats salmon food.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
If you turned on a heater, it could also be the dry air from the heating. It happens to our guys every December or January after we turn it on.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
An update!

I got some Advantage from the vet and applied it to Ace, and it has definitely reduced the itching/scratching, which is good. However, Ace still seems to be licking at his inner thighs, not excessively but definitely more than I think is normal. Also, there are three small, black, scab-like things on his inner thighs. And by small, I mean minuscule, hardly noticeable at all. In fact, one of them seems to have developed over where I had seen a small pimple-like bump on him a couple of days ago.

Any thoughts on what this could be?

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
It could be staph.. I'd get him to the vet and have him checked. Or they could be flea bites.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay so I went to the vet, and it appears as though Ace has developed a food allergy. He eats Eagle Pack Large Breed Puppy, by the way. The vet said that this is the most likely cause of the itchiness.

She said that there is a chance that it may not be that, so she has given Ace cephalexin for 14 days to treat a possible skin infection. She's also prescribed theraderm cream for the areas that I found the scabs to make sure that he doesn't develop an infection from biting/scratching at them, and also told me to give Ace Benadryl to combat some of the itchiness.

Does anyone have any experience with food allergies in goldens? To my knowledge, it is not uncommon in many dogs, especially goldens. The vet recommended that I continue to feed Ace his puppy food and that we treat the itchiness superficially with the benadryl and such, and switch him to a hypoallergenic dog food at about 8-9 months to obviously solve to root of the problem. However, I have read that many users on this site give their puppies adult food fairly young. Ace is 5 months now, so would it be safe to start feeding him the hypoallergenic food sooner rather than later?

·
1st time Golden Retriever
27 Posts
Pruritus. This sounds exactly like my Ivy-we are off to the Vet tomorrow because if I cant take her scratching, licking, biting and snorting anymore then I doubt she could stand it anymore too!!!!! Shes driving me crazy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts