Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an argument with my memaw earlier about bathing Beau. She gets mad at me EVERY TIME I bathe him. I've given him probably 4 baths since I got him (he's 4 months right now) and I'm mainly doing it so that he'll be okay with baths later in life and it won't be a hassle. It's part of my socialization for him, I guess you could say.

I've read a lot about Golden grooming and stuff - I brush Beau every night and like I said, I've given him several baths. He's responding very good to the baths and even loves the hair dryer afterwards so I feel like I'm doing SOMETHING right, right? He doesn't try to jump out of the tub and he plays and then just lays down for me to dry him off with the dryer.

HER dog - a very stubborn Corgi - who I give maybe a bath or two in the summer to when the shedding is unbearable, is AWFUL at baths. She tries to jump out, she knocks everything over, she is impossible to actually dry off - and I think it's because she didn't get any baths when she was young and still rarely gets them. (She also has absolutely no obedience training) She had another Corgi that stunk VERY bad, and would actually bite the vets when he had to get baths. So if she has had bad luck with bathing dogs in the past and she sees that Beau is being good - shouldn't that tell her I'm doing something right? ;/

Today, we were talking about Beau and how his fur isn't all fluffy and long like a Golden Retriever's fur usually is. I said it was probably just because he's a puppy and its the middle of winter. (Although, I still think he should be fluffier) She went away for a little while then came back to go off on me, saying she researched it and that my bathing him is bad for him and that I should only use dry shampoos (which I might do later, AFTER HE DOESN'T MIND THE WATER BATH!!) So now she's mad at me, even though he is perfectly healthy and has no skin irritation or anything from the baths.

Tell me - how often do/did you bathe your puppy? Do they like it?

What I've read says a monthly bath is good for a Golden.

I know this is more of a rant than anything because she keeps telling me what I should do with Beau. My memaw used her famous "HOW MANY DOGS HAVE I OWNED?" excuse to prove her extensive knowledge of dogs. I have learned a lot from her, but she likes to think she knows everything about dogs. I told her she'd never owned a dog like a Golden Retriever, which only made her madder (she only owned Beagles, Dachshunds, and Corgis).

Thanks for reading my rant and please let me know your opinion on puppy baths. :)

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
Personally, I bath my Papillons about every two to three weeks. Granted, they are show dogs. I did the same with Dakota, my Golden, as a puppy for the same reason you are, to teach her about baths and blow dryers. I also play with their feet while relaxing with them to help with nail triming. Dakota does not get that many baths anymore, but is wonderful in the tub.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Aislinn! After a while, Beau won't get as many baths either. He's not a hassle in the bath and he's pretty good with all the grooming so far (brushing, nails, ears, etc). I usually wait til he's sleepy to do his nails and ears so he's not as alert.

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
Just remember to be polite to your Memaw, she is only trying to help. And I'm sure there are lots of people who will also agree with her.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Bentley gets a bath weekly. It has more to do with my allergies than anything else. Also, some show dogs get bathed very frequently like 2-3 times a week (I read). Having said that I agree with Aislinn your memaw is only trying to help and you should always be polite.

·
Premium Member
18,484 Posts
It's perfectly fine for the skin and coat to bath a Golden once a month. They are water dogs anyway so it won't hurt him, just be sure you rinse the shampoo completely. I'm not sure what you can do about your grandmother, other than to listen to what she has to say and don't argue with her.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
First of all, a 4 month old Golden isn't going to have long hair. He's still a baby and won't have that beautiful full coat for at least a year.

Most Goldens love their baths and it won't harm their coats. When Hank was little there were some days he got 2 baths. I love the smell of a clean dog so he gets bathed often. Never a problem with dry skin or coat. Just be sure to use a shampoo formulated for dogs and rinse well.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
We don't bathe Tucker often--mostly we rinse him off with fresh water after he's been in the lagoon (salt water). what you're doing is fine. Your grandmother sounds like the women on my dad's side--all Southern matriarchs. Can't argue with 'em so best course of action is "yes ma'am" and grin and bear it. (and maybe wash the puppy when she's not home). Gotta love 'em! LOL.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Gabbar is 4.5 months old, bathed him three times and he cries right through the process. So you're doing something better than I am. He's okay with getting brushed, ears clean and nails. Just for the actual bathing a blow drying...

·
Registered
438 Posts
I don't think you're doing anything wrong.

As far as Corgis go - In my experience they are some of the MOST stubborn dogs i've had to deal with when grooming. Other breeds may not like to be clipped and have attitudes but Corgis will FREAK out! I had one that all I did was hold his paw with the nail clippers in my other hand and he screamed like I cut his paw off - the cutters were in my other hand far from his freakin' paw. His owner got frantic and picked him up and babied him. I snarled... said sorry take him to a vet and get him sedated.
The ones i've had to bathe is like chasing a greased up pig! lol

Now I've had all breeds of "bad dogs" but I have never once had a easy to groom corgi!!! They love to be spoiled.

Oh I've only bathed nyla 2 times and she's almost 3 months. But she loves to play in the mud lol I feel like it's a waist of water and soap! Haven't cut her nails yet since they stay short.
I think exposing them to it all at a young age is a good idea! Never had bathing problems with her or Hayden.

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
Yes, a dog I'm actively showing will sometimes get a bath two or three times a week. The important thing with frequent bathing, as Willow52 said, is to make sure you get all the shampoo out.

·
Claire
641 Posts
To get Phoebe used to it I will put her in the bath but I won't use shampoo, only water. She seems to love it. She will stand in the tub and sometimes play with the water. And every 2-3 weeks I give her a bath with shampoo and blow dry at work. She is getting very very good with the blow dryer.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Mosby is 5 months on Saturday and has had 4 baths.

As for your comment about your puppy's fur - Mosby's fur has never been fluffy (not all Golden pups have fluffy hair), and his fur won't be long until he's older. As a funny story, when Mosby was about 12 weeks we were at our puppy class and a couple was there observing. The couple is getting a Golden in March and wanted to see what our puppy class was like. Well, at the end of class the couple came up to us and asked if they could pet Mo, and they asked if we were sure he was a Golden. When I told them that yes, he was indeed a pure bred Golden from field lines, they started to freak out! They started saying they really want a fluffy puppy, and since Mosby is NOT fluffy they were worried that their future puppy wouldn't be fluffy either! All I could do was tell them that there are different lines of Goldens, and the fur isn't all the same :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts