Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Are you taking a winter vacation/break?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Going on vacation this winter??

Are you getting away from the cold weather this winter? Where are you going?

We just booked our trip to Cancun/Mayan Riviera, Mexico last night. We leave in 2 weeks - I can't wait! We will be celebrating our 7 year anniversary.

Molson is pretty excited to get to live with Skoker and my mom for a whole week!

·
Registered
810 Posts
New house = can't afford to.
New puppy= don't want to foist her off on my parents until she's trained.

And Will doesn't have anymore vacation days until May.

I don't even need to go someplace hot! I just would like the break from work! :--sad:

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
Yes, we are going to the Mayan Riviera from March 7 to March 14....it will be our 3rd time there.....3 different resorts.

I'm really stressed about leaving my babies though!!!!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Nope, no vacation here.
I'm weird -- I don't really like vacations. Too much of a homebody. LOL. Plus, it would probably involve the whole getting on an airplane thing. Not gonna happen. Leaving my boys? Not gonna happen. Not to mention the hotel situation - sleeping on used sheets, etc. No thank you!
What can I say? I told you I'm weird...

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Are winter vacations something people do?! I never even thought of it. I'm sure I'll be able to use a break around March or April though. Other than MLK day coming up, I don't have another day off till Memorial day.

And Steph, congrats on 7 years!

·
Registered
810 Posts
And Steph, congrats on 7 years!

lol, now she just needs a ring! I totally forgot to ask Jay on New Years about it! He was in a chatty mood, talking about the future and stuff. It would've been the perfect time! Sorry dude, I dropped the ball on that one. :doh:

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, we are going to the Mayan Riviera from March 7 to March 14....it will be our 3rd time there.....3 different resorts.

I'm really stressed about leaving my babies though!!!!
Which resorts have you been to? We went to Cancun in 2005 or 2006 and stayed at the LeBlanc Spa & Resort (amazing, but we had originally booked the Riu Caribe which they overbooked so they sent us there instead), and this year we are going to the Grand Sirenis Mayan Riviera.

Thanks Marjory! It feels like it's been forever already and we aren't even married (or engaged) yet!

Sarah, you know you can always pawn Lucy off on us if you guys need to go away. We would be more than happy to do so, but I can't guarantee that I would give her back... :p

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol, now she just needs a ring! I totally forgot to ask Jay on New Years about it! He was in a chatty mood, talking about the future and stuff. It would've been the perfect time! Sorry dude, I dropped the ball on that one. :doh:
LOL! Well we'll see you on Sunday and you can work on him then ;)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Are you getting away from the cold weather this winter? Where are you going?

We just booked our trip to Cancun/Mayan Riviera, Mexico last night. We leave in 2 weeks - I can't wait! We will be celebrating our 7 year anniversary.

Molson is pretty excited to get to live with Skoker and my mom for a whole week!

EsSJay - where do you go in the Mayan Riviera? We have been going every May the last 5 years (to Barcelo...just south of Cancun). We just found out we may be going to Cancun (Moon Palace) for my husbands work in April. I am ready to get away from Washington's steady downpour!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Never mind...I just read the entire thread. Sorry! We are celebrating our 15 year anniversary in May so we are going one way or another. Would like to try a new resort but have always been happy with Barcelo (we've stayed at Aventura Spa Palace also and it had it's pros/cons...definitely prefer Barcelo over Aventura resort though).

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
EsSJay - where do you go in the Mayan Riviera? We have been going every May the last 5 years (to Barcelo...just south of Cancun). We just found out we may be going to Cancun (Moon Palace) for my husbands work in April. I am ready to get away from Washington's steady downpour!
We were considering the Barcelo Maya Beach for this year but the lazy river at the Sirenis is what sold us on booking there :) I am so jealous about Moon Palace and Aventura... they are BEAUTIFUL and are on my list of places to go if I ever get rich!

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
Which resorts have you been to? We went to Cancun in 2005 or 2006 and stayed at the LeBlanc Spa & Resort (amazing, but we had originally booked the Riu Caribe which they overbooked so they sent us there instead), and this year we are going to the Grand Sirenis Mayan Riviera. I can't wait to go back to Xel-Ha and snorkel!
The first year we went to the Grand Palladium; last year to the Barcelo (stayed at the Barcelo Mayan Place (brand new)...we took my mom and dad there for their 50th anniversary...gorgeous place and beautiful beach. This year we're going to the Valentin Imperial Maya (Adults only). We did snorked at Xel Ha (it was great). Last year we went to Xcaret for the day and snorkelled there.....it was awesome!! Also attended their nightly entertainment which was amazing....Also went to Tulum and did some zip lining....scary but fun!!!!

Sorry....got carried away!!!!! :)

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I wish.. I need a vacation!! Not that there's really cold weather to have to escape from here.. I just want some time off work LOL

Probably planning a short little getaway when Jeff gets home from deployment in March/April, so it's something to look forward to :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
The first year we went to the Grand Palladium; last year to the Barcelo (stayed at the Barcelo Mayan Place (brand new)...we took my mom and dad there for their 50th anniversary...gorgeous place and beautiful beach. This year we're going to the Valentin Imperial Maya (Adults only). We did snorked at Xel Ha (it was great). Last year we went to Xcaret for the day and snorkelled there.....it was awesome!! Also attended their nightly entertainment which was amazing....Also went to Tulum and did some zip lining....scary but fun!!!!

Sorry....got carried away!!!!! :)
Laurie...we were at Barcelo last year also (we stayed at the Palace too). I talked my brother and his family and my parents into going also. We had a wonderful family vacation. Although...it was quite stressful as it was at the height of the swine flu that originated in Mexico. We almost cancelled and I am so glad we didn't. We practically had the resort to ourselves. What did you think of the Grand Palladium in comparison to Barcelo?

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
We don't usually do winter vacations. We like to save all of our vacation time for the spring and summer. We much prefer traveling in the warm weather and when the days are longer. We already have a bunch of trips planned for this summer, starting with Connecticut the first week of June for a family get together that my side of the family is having. :bowl:

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts

Last year, we stopped at Moon Palace during a pick up....that place is amazing!!!!! The grounds are gorgeous......Would definitely add that to my list of resorts to go to.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I didn't actually read your post when I voted, so I voted yes. But I already took my winter vacation. Our offices are closed the week of Christmas and I usually take the week after off, too. So I took the dogs up to the lake for a week. I only wish it were longer!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Last year, we stopped at Moon Palace during a pick up....that place is amazing!!!!! The grounds are gorgeous......Would definitely add that to my list of resorts to go to.
Good to know. We've been so happy with Barcelo that I haven't wanted to try any other resorts (I LOVE Barcelo's beach and the fact that the resort is large enough that the towel game is not played. At Aventura it was horrible). This will be a company trip (if we go) so we may extend the vacation by a week. If not, we will be going back to Barcelo in May for sure.

Have a great trip! I love this part of Mexico!!

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
Laurie...we were at Barcelo last year also (we stayed at the Palace too). I talked my brother and his family and my parents into going also. We had a wonderful family vacation. Although...it was quite stressful as it was at the height of the swine flu that originated in Mexico. We almost cancelled and I am so glad we didn't. We practically had the resort to ourselves. What did you think of the Grand Palladium in comparison to Barcelo?
The Grand Palladium was our first trip south and we thought we had died and gone to heaven!!! It was beautiful and very large!! My brother and sister in law talked us into the Barcelo last year (they had gone in 2008) for our parents anniverary....Just when you thought it couldn't get any better...WOW...the Barcelo was definitely superior to the Grand Palladium (in my opinion). Beach was much nicer (and larger), the Palace rooms were unbelievable, the food was comparable but more to choose from and again, the resort is HUGE. Unfortunately, when we were there (in March) we got stuck with a bunch of spring breakers who were unbelievably rude and obnoxious to the staff and other tourists. That was unfortuate but I would definitely go back again.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts