Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Ok, just to clear this out. Pups are all going to our friends, so we cannot ask for more than $600. That wouldn't be very friendly :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Prices

Just to add and clarify - any of our friends who would like to better our financial situation are more than welcome to do so!!! ;) :D V.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Goldens are cheaper in Canada than in the US. Around here (Eastern Canada) you can get a Golden from a reputable breeder with clearances and papers for $700-800 CDN.

Pet Store Puppies! Don't get me started. Overpriced Puppy Mill dogs. Don't ever buy from a pet store. You are supporting bad breeders.

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
timberwolfe said:
Goldens are cheaper in Canada than in the US. Around here (Eastern Canada) you can get a Golden from a reputable breeder with clearances and papers for $700-800 CDN.
Pet Store Puppies! Don't get me started. Overpriced Puppy Mill dogs. Don't ever buy from a pet store. You are supporting bad breeders.
Here in Toronto, it is more like 1000 CAD. In pet stores, uff... many times $1500 and more...
Exactly: "Don't get me started..."

Joe

·
Registered
15 Posts
Millions of animals are put to death every year in the North America because there are not enough homes for them, yet pet stores like Petland, Petco, Petsmart continue to sell puppies.
This is a real problem. As long as pet shops sell puppies, dogs in animal shelters will be killed...
Did anyone ever think to fight these big corporations?
How could it be done?
In my opinion it is a case of cruelty to keep dog puppies in cages for months, just to make a huge profit.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Exactly GoldenLuv! But I asked you not to get me started. :)

I won't buy from any store that sells animals.

Pet Store dogs are poorly bred just for profit. The breeders care nothing for Breed Standards, health checks, the welfare for the Female who pops out litter after litter often in poor conditions. The pups spend the beginning of their lives in a cage, alone at night, no proper socialization.

Anyone who cares at all for animal welfare would not buy products from any store that treats puppies like livestock. The only way to stop it is to educate people.

end rant

·
Registered
15 Posts
timberwolfe said:
Exactly GoldenLuv! But I asked you not to get me started. :)

If we could somehow educate the whole society that buying a dog takes time and consideration and should never be an impulse buy, we wouldn't have so many people relying on pet stores to buy their animals.

Especially with Golden Retrievers, I can't imagine to work in the pet store and ignore the fact that these beautiful dogs are kept in cages for months just for the profit. I would have to quit my job or just talk to everyone to buy the puppy right away.

Timberwolfe, I try to educate everybody that I talk to, but if the person is not willing to take the time to investigate the possibilities, pet stores
will always be there ...

I know :mad: , I shouldn't have started it! :(

Goldenluv

·
Registered
414 Posts
Well, that is a good reason to have forums like this one. Anyone who comes hear may read this and hopefully learn something. I would hope most people wouldn't buy those pups if they only knew their history. Other people want to save those pups so they buy them, but unfortunately, by buying them they are just dooming another pup to the same fate.

It makes me very sad to think about it. But if we keep telling people, then hopefully we are helping a little bit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Guys, there is nothing we can do about NA's pet stores.
Lot of people tried to bring these issues to the court, but no one ever won against this big and greedy corporations.
We can be pissed, but there is nothing else we can do, but talk.
Walia

·
Registered
414 Posts
Now that's being pessimistic Walia. But by talking you are doing something. I told my wife my feelings about Pet Stores. She, like most people, had never given it much thought but agreed it was cruel and is supporting Puppy Mills. One day one of her co-workers is talking about getting a puppy from a pet store. My wife tells her why that isn't a good idea and convinces her that if she is serious about getting a dog then she should see a breeder or go to SPCA. She came home all happy and told me about it.

That talk made a difference. We won't buy anything from those stores and now neither will some of our friends.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts