Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our breeder gave us a sample of NuVet's supplement for immune system development. I did some Google-foo, and saw that NuVet had been issued a cease-and-desist order by the FDA for overselling the medical benefit of their supplements, and responded by simply dialing back on the specificity of their claims.

My online research also indicates that too much calcium in the diet of a large breed puppy is not good, and can result in skeletal defects and deficiencies in other nutrients.

With that said, are there any supplements that specifically support healthy joint development in large-breed puppies? I note that, for older dogs, there tends to be added calcium. And, given the concern regarding too much calcium in a large-breed puppy's diet, it seems like any supplements should be age-appropriate.

A part of me is somewhat skeptical about supplements, but, if there's something that could help with joint development, it'd be best to get informed.

·
Super Moderator
656 Posts
Veterinary research supports that there is nothing -proven- to support puppy joints outside of a balanced, proper diet.

The notable exception is vitamin C. There was a paper released in '95 stating that "high dose vitamin C supplementation in growing puppies does not prevent hip dysplasia, and this practice should be discontinued" and yet I see many people feeding young animals vitamin C (and many holistic vets recommending it) based on what I presume is anecdotal evidence? As far as I can tell, no research has shown that excess vit C is an issue with the notable exception of possibly increasing Ca2+. Anyway, blood values from a paper done in the 80's showed that young animals had more than adequate levels of vit C and no follow up was done regarding CHD.

My point being that a lot of the supplements we use (especially glucosamine/chondroiton) have never actually gone through rigorous testing standards and are still recommended. Anecdotal evidence has its place, but I struggle to find reason to use it when the research does show that not overfeeding a puppy and feeding a balanced diet (among exercise "restrictions"), helps spare puppy joints.

·
Registered
21,054 Posts
Many board certified sports and rehabilitation vets are now recommending giving Adequan injections monthly beginning at 6 months old to prevent arthritis. Most vets have used them for years after arthritis is evident, but now the sports ones are using it prophylactically.
Tito has gotten them since he was 2 (which is when 2 sports vets recommended it to me), and he is now 13+ and has no arthritis. I realize this could be a coincidence, but....
They're prescription, but easy to do at home, it's just a sub-Q injection.

·
Super Moderator
3,859 Posts
Many board certified sports and rehabilitation vets are now recommending giving Adequan injections monthly beginning at 6 months old to prevent arthritis. Most vets have used them for years after arthritis is evident, but now the sports ones are using it prophylactically.
Tito has gotten them since he was 2 (which is when 2 sports vets recommended it to me), and he is now 13+ and has no arthritis. I realize this could be a coincidence, but....
They're prescription, but easy to do at home, it's just a sub-Q injection.
Thanks for this. This is new info for me.

·
Registered
569 Posts
My friend who is an ortho vet recommended we give Maggie cosequin so we have been giving that to her during her growth period. I need to check in a see if we should continue after 2 or not.
Jules

1 - 6 of 6 Posts