Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter is on a waiting list for a lab puppy litter planned late 2020 / early 2021. She asked me if labs were as bitey and mouthy as Goldens. I didn't know, so I'm asking here.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
720 Posts
The labs I know are just as mouthy as my golden, but their mouths are not as “soft”. For example, if I have both dogs in a sit-stay and then I go to reward with a little treat, my golden will ever so gently take the treat while barely touching it with his teeth, and my friends lab puppy will snap the treat (sometimes really hard!!) right out of my fingers. I’ve met some very gentle labs to, so it probably is about how you raise them and teach bite inhibition.

·
Registered
731 Posts
My Border Collie/Lab cross is not nearly as mouthy as my Golden is. Her personality is 100% Lab.
The Golden finally learned at 4 months old how to mouth and be gentle. She is very attuned to my saying OW and immediately releases. The cross always was easy.

·
Super Moderator
1,638 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
I second the mouthing of a lab can REALLY hurt. And if you don’t make sure to nip it in the bud as a puppy with how they take a treat...you could be in for a long life. I had a lab who no matter how hard we trained...she took treats like your hand might go with it. Had training class with Stella and the lab in there actually made the trainer tear up! Sweet dog but the way he took a treat was intense!

·
Registered
588 Posts
I’ve raised two field bred lab puppies and one golden puppy in the last 6 years. One of the labs will turn 1 next month and my youngest Golden will turn 2. I found the labs less bitey to humans and each other. I do however find them to be more destructive on your house and furniture if given the opportunity. The ones I’ve had belong to my son but I normally have them for the first 6 months. The labs also seem to care less about their toys. Maybe it’s just the ones I’ve had though. They are FC AFC all the way through the pedigree. The also shed more in my opinion.

Attachments

·
Kate
20,871 Posts
Why would it be different? They are retrievers and should be pretty oral as well.

One caution - and I see you are not in the US, so may be different- but a lot of labs have more temperament issues than goldens. And I mean attacking other dogs and attacking people. Lab in our neighborhood got loose and ripped a kid's face off. Which was awful because I knew this lab from the time he was a puppy. He had been a very nice pup that we kids liked so it was very shocking. This is because labs in general are bred all over the place and anyone can be a breeder. Means more indiscriminate breeding of dogs who are too aggressive. So pay close attention to finding a careful and responsible breeder the same you would for goldens.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Why would it be different? They are retrievers and should be pretty oral as well.

One caution - and I see you are not in the US, so may be different- but a lot of labs have more temperament issues than goldens. And I mean attacking other dogs and attacking people. Lab in our neighborhood got loose and ripped a kid's face off. Which was awful because I knew this lab from the time he was a puppy. He had been a very nice pup that we kids liked so it was very shocking. This is because labs in general are bred all over the place and anyone can be a breeder. Means more indiscriminate breeding wow...of do who are too aggressive. So pay close attention to finding a careful and responsible breeder the same you would for goldens.
W

One caution - and I see you are not in the US, so may be different- but a lot of labs have more temperament issues than goldens. And I mean attacking other dogs and attacking people. Lab in our neighborhood got loose and ripped a kid's face off. Which was awful because I knew this lab from the time he was a puppy. He had been a very nice pup that we kids liked so it was very shocking. This is because labs in general are bred all over the place and anyone can be a breeder. Means more indiscriminate breeding of dogs who are too aggressive. So pay close attentioni canntotally to finding a careful and responsible breeder the same you would for goldens.

One caution - and I see you are not in the US, so may be different- but a lot of labs have more temperament issues than goldens. And I mean attacking other dogs and attacking people. Lab in our neighborhood got loose and ripped a kid's face off. Which was awful because I knew this lab from the time he was a puppy. He had been a very nice pup that we kids liked so it was very shocking. This is because labs in general are bred all over the place and anyone can be a breeder. Means more indiscriminate breeding of dogs who are too aggressive. So pay close attention to finding a careful and responsible breeder the same you would for goldens.
I totally agree with this.

Some years back we were so devastated with the loss of our golden that we thought we could never possibly have another golden and so decided to go with a lab. We did all the research, went to dog shows, and picked a “top“ breeder who did all health clearances and had even showed their dogs at Westminster.

Long story short, within days of bringing home this beautiful puppy, his temperament became painfully obvious. He was not interested in us at all, would attack other puppies, and was just an absolute nightmare. The next six months I did nothing but lessons, both private and group. More often than not I would leave with my hands bloodied from him jumping up at me and biting. He was also so aggressive towards other pups that I was required to keep him separated from all the other dogs during class. I tried everything I possibly could for months until I contacted the breeder and asked for him to be evaluated. He spent a few days with her handler and within the first hours the handler deemed him “atypical“ for a lab. This was after months and months and months of training and absolutely everything I could try to figure to do for him. At that point I was seeing another private trainer who finally said to me she thought he would not be a good fit for living near people or other dogs. I was heartbroken, returned him to the breeder. He luckily ended up on 40 acres out in the country which was much better suited to him then living in the suburbs. What really got me upset was that I later found out the breeder had not informed other people of these behavioral issues and he ended up siring quite a few litters. So this very reputable breeder who did all health clearances and showed her dogs in the end really did not care that she was bettering the breed. Sorry for this rant, but this is still a heartbreaking situation for me all these years later.

·
Kate
20,871 Posts
One thing I should have thrown out there is the lab thing - it not like with goldens where people tell you to buy a dog from a good breeder that shows their dogs, etc....

I had a yellow lab bitch that had just won best of breed in the lab ring (AKC) go after my Bertie at a show where my guy was just standing there glazing over. Bertie jumped in my lap (thank goodness!) - but this had been just before we were going into the ring ourselves and I had been pretty rattled.

That's not every dog though. Was just in a handling class with my baby and there was a couple with 2 black labs - a male and female. These were really nice tempered dogs. No shark eye attitudes. <= I want to say most labs are like that. But there's are some out there who have a screw loose.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The lab I grew up with destroyed anything she could get her teeth on but wasn’t super interested in chewing on us. My golden puppy likes to mouth on us, but is mostly interested in her toys, chews, and anything left on the ground. It really depends on the breeder, the type of lab, and their socialization, though, I think.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts