Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it has gotten cooler I keep finding both pups laying in the garage on the cold, cold floor instead of in the den on the tile floor. We keep the thermostat at 70 which is cool enough at night and honestly if a front is coming through and cold wind blowing 70 is kinda cool for we humans. Noticed the pups don't sleep on their beds much anymore either but thought it was they liked the harder floor better, but now sleeping in the garage??? We have doggie doors so they could come in anytime, so wondering if 70 degrees is too high for them to sleep comfortably.

Have you seen this and what temps do you keep your house?

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Our thermostat goes down to 56 at night and when we are not home. When we are home it is 62!!!

Reactions: LibertyME

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
I think so-they are wearing a fur coat, after all :) Of course, this is from the woman who keeps her house at 60-62 :) I've often said that if I ever get a hairless CC instead of a powderpuff like Cher, it will have to wear a sweater all the time! And yes, down to 52 when I'm not home ;)

·
Pippa and Watson’s mom
611 Posts
We keep our house at 68 during the day and 65 at night, and Pippa tends to divide her time between the tile or hardwood floor and her bed. Not sure I see a change in her habits when the temp changes, so maybe it’s unrelated?

·
Kate
21,688 Posts
We keep our house at 68 during the day and turn it down to 65 at night.

And I have a fan running too, because in my room it DOES get stuffy at night. If I could have a window open, I'd do that too.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
At night I have two furnaces, Emmie and Tiki, who sleep up against me, so I am quite warm and they don't get too hot!

Reactions: Deber

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
70 would be like a furnace to me! I keep it at 55 at night and 58 during the day. But... I take things to the extreme - I like it cold.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No wonder I live in Texas! We could easily lower temps for night, but during the day I would be bundled up like an Eskimo if we kept it in the 50's!! Yikes!

Honestly didn't realize how much difference we keep our houses. We keep the night temp at 70 because of our bird Gabby (African Grey) who will fluff up to stay warm if it gets below the middle 60's. Honestly can't imagine keeping warm if the house was in the middle 50's during the daytime! I would freeze my scrawny butt, hands wouldn't work and water would freeze (along with my bladder) and I would tinkle ice cubes!

OMG does everyone keep their homes this cool?? Starting to think I am a true woosie britches! I like warm, not major hot, but warm, preferably with something red to drink with a cute umbrella sticking out.

Reactions: Dallas Gold

·
Registered
433 Posts
I keep my house at a constant 55 throughout the day. The dogs and I all get uncomfortable if it's much warmer than that, probably because the artificial heat is such a dry heat.

·
Registered
639 Posts
We keep our house at 68 during the day and 65 at night, and Pippa tends to divide her time between the tile or hardwood floor and her bed. Not sure I see a change in her habits when the temp changes, so maybe it’s unrelated?
We keep ours about the same. The 50s would be way too cold here in Wisconsin. Honestly, thought Ozzy wants the cold spots in the summer now that it's cold out he seems to want the warm places at night...mainly with us.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
My husband and I always have "thermostat wars" as he likes it much warmer than I do. So, he has a little electric heater that he turns on when he goes down to the TV room and keeps a fire roaring in the the woodstove in the living room.
Brooks seems to love the cold but can also be seen sound asleep lying on his back on a sofa in the hot box living room hanging out with DH.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,701 Posts
My husband and I always have "thermostat wars" as he likes it much warmer than I do. So, he has a little electric heater that he turns on when he goes down to the TV room and keeps a fire roaring in the the woodstove in the living room.
Brooks seems to love the cold but can also be seen sound asleep lying on his back on a sofa in the hot box living room hanging out with DH.
We have thermostat wars going on in my household too, except I am the one that wants it warmer.

No wonder I live in Texas! We could easily lower temps for night, but during the day I would be bundled up like an Eskimo if we kept it in the 50's!! Yikes!

Honestly didn't realize how much difference we keep our houses. We keep the night temp at 70 because of our bird Gabby (African Grey) who will fluff up to stay warm if it gets below the middle 60's. Honestly can't imagine keeping warm if the house was in the middle 50's during the daytime! I would freeze my scrawny butt, hands wouldn't work and water would freeze (along with my bladder) and I would tinkle ice cubes!

OMG does everyone keep their homes this cool?? Starting to think I am a true woosie britches! I like warm, not major hot, but warm, preferably with something red to drink with a cute umbrella sticking out.
Any outside temperature of 70 or below, is considered COLD here on the NC Coast.

Hubby and I don't like cold weather at all, but he tolerates it better than I do. I can't stand being cold, once I get cold, I stay cold.

We don't keep our house as cool as most of the members on here are, we have ours set between 62-68 range and I'm cold.

Winter is the time of year where I'd like to be spending it somewhere where the temps are at least between 75-85 outside right now.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
We keep our house at 68. Hank seems to be fine with that too. In the summer when we keep it at 74, he usually lays on the a/c vents.
Our daughter complains that it's too cold but she wants to sit around in a tank top/shorts/barefoot. Put some clothes on, it's December!

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
We keep our house at 68 during the days in the winter, 66 at night. In the 50s would be way too cold for this desert rat. In the summer, the AC is set at 77.

·
Kate
21,688 Posts
No wonder I live in Texas! We could easily lower temps for night, but during the day I would be bundled up like an Eskimo if we kept it in the 50's!! Yikes!.
Heehee. Same here. :)

I'm here at work with a heater aimed at my legs. I think the temperature around my desk area would be 65 with a steady draft from our front door. :eek:

But when I'm sleeping - I like being slightly chill. I sleep better. When it's too warm I'm tossing and turning and flicking the light on because of heat-induced-insomnia. :D

I have noticed Jacks is snuggling more now that the temps have gone down. I'm not sure if he's more tired after our walks or what. I woke up last night because somebody's HOT feet were sticking in my face and he was trying to take over my pillow. :bowl:

ETA - I wear shorts and tee at home, barefoot, year round. But you know those pretty throws aren't just for decoration. They keep those legs and feet nice and warm. :)

·
Dexter's Mom aka Kristin
625 Posts
my parents keep it 74 here. i'm dying, but dexter acts fine. at my apartment at school we don't even have the heat or air on..we keep the windows open a little so whatever it is outside, is what it is in our apartment. that will probably change when it's in the 20s/30s.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
65 during the day and 55 at night...
Location makes all the difference...in New England heating oil takes up a big bite of the family budget. It is all the inspiration needed to put on a sweater! ;)

·
Pippa and Watson’s mom
611 Posts
We keep our house at 68. Hank seems to be fine with that too. In the summer when we keep it at 74, he usually lays on the a/c vents.
Our daughter complains that it's too cold but she wants to sit around in a tank top/shorts/barefoot. Put some clothes on, it's December!
Our daughters are like that, too! At least we’re past the age when they wanted to go to school in the snow wearing flip-flops :doh:

I can’t wait to show them at what temp many people on this thread keep their houses :D

1 - 20 of 56 Posts