Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Chloe's Mom
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Sorry to ask stupid questions, but this is my first golden. I have a 6 month old GR and last night I was at the pet store and a 10 month old GR male was there and my Chloe was so scared and little compared to him. His head looked HUGE. Is this normal? Sorry if this is a stupid question. :eek:

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Males are typically larger, but there's also different lines of Goldens where some have bigger showy heads, or some are smaller and more lean.

Depends what your breeder was breeding for.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Breed standard says the males are a few pound heavier and about an inch or two taller.

Size, Proportion, Substance
Males 23-24 inches in height at withers; females 21½-22½ inches. Dogs up to one inch above or below standard size should be proportionately penalized. Deviation in height of more than one inch from the standard shall disqualify. Length from breastbone to point of buttocks slightly greater than height at withers in ratio of 12:11. Weight for dogs 65-75 pounds; bitches 55-65 pounds.

American Kennel Club - Golden Retriever

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Yes it is normal. Girls are smaller. My Fiona on the right is 9yrs and 57lbs. Her boyfriend on the left whom I walk now and then is 6½yrs and about 72lbs. They are best buddies :D

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Yes it is normal. Girls are smaller. My Fiona on the right is 9yrs and 57lbs. Her boyfriend on the left whom I walk now and then is 6½yrs and about 72lbs. They are best buddies :D

Fiona is a doll. Tell her Toby is a Male and 55 lbs. He is from field lines if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Fiona says she would enjoy the prospect of meeting field line Toby. The huntress would like meeting another hunter ;)

More pics of girl vs boy size would be neat in this thread, just sayin...:curtain:

·
Registered
525 Posts
In most breeds I've seen, the males are usually larger than the females. Both George and Max were 85 lbs, plus, and big guys. Max had a huge, wide head. Grace was 60 lbs soaking wet, and had the smaller bones and narrower face.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Fiona says she would enjoy the prospect of meeting field line Toby. The huntress would like meeting another hunter ;)

More pics of girl vs boy size would be neat in this thread, just sayin...:curtain:
Come on down, or, next summer I'll come on up! I'd love to meet you two and some other great forum members up your way! Word of warning--Toby barks a good bark at his nemesis, the squirrel (called Tree Kitties here), but he's never actually caught one yet...maybe he could bag an orange tailed one at your place! :uhoh:

·
Dog Lover for Life
220 Posts
My first female Golden was a large girl, she was tall and around 68lbs.
Bogart's Mom was on the small side (she was sooo gentle)
People always think Bogart is a girl since he is not a tall Boy. He is 75lbs.
Now Cooper is a Clunker, he is almost as tall now as Bogart and turns 6 months on Dec 4th. People always ask me if Bogart is Coopers Mom:bowl:.
Poor Bogie he gets no respect.

·
Davina
392 Posts
People always think Bogart is a girl since he is not a tall Boy. He is 75lbs.
Now Cooper is a Clunker, he is almost as tall now as Bogart and turns 6 months on Dec 4th. People always ask me if Bogart is Coopers Mom:bowl:.
Poor Bogie he gets no respect.

LOL first off I love the name Bogart LOL and second poor Bogie getting no respect. :O) ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts