Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
re-reading a post from last night, i was feeling pretty bad that some people consider their animals property. maybe i am wrong in my thinking, i consider my house,car,and materialistic things property. my dogs are family members and are not treated as so called property or "very special property". what is your opinion?

·
16,000 Posts
While personally and privately, our dogs are our family, I do subscribe to the legal term of "property", mainly so as to retain my rights to keep them and do with them what I do. The AR organizations want us to call them "fur children", etc, thereby assigning them the same rights as humans, which in turn means that another human ie an attorney, beleive it or not, can be my dog's advocate, and "speak" for him.

·
Lucy & Dory's Mom
2,760 Posts
To us, they're our family, but to anyone trying to steal them or take them from us, then they are our property. I hope I never have to prove that they are my property, because they are ever so much more than that.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
According to law they are property. However, we are expected to give that property a certain level of care so that doesn't make much sense to me. My dogs are part of my family - abandoning them for any reason would never happen. A family is always there for each other no matter how tough times get.

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
My dogs are my property. The fact that they live in my house, sleep on my bed, are deluged with toys and treats and are loved unconditionally, does not change that, nor do I want it to change.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
My dogs are my property which I treat like a crown jewel, or perhaps like a mercedes benz.

Edited to Add: When I re-read my post, and saw the Mercedes Benz referrence, somehow this song came to mind LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z031l0E_5n4

·
Registered
21,195 Posts

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
Max is definitely my baby, but I gotta say to this.............you've obviously never met my family! When times get tough, that's the time to stick the knife in deeper!

According to law they are property. However, we are expected to give that property a certain level of care so that doesn't make much sense to me. My dogs are part of my family - abandoning them for any reason would never happen. A family is always there for each other no matter how tough times get.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
My dog is my property, my next dog will be my property. Any horse I've ever owned has been my property, and I was very grateful of these rights when my horse and pony were sent to be sold and stolen. I am glad I have the rights to do what I wish (within the law) with my animals, and I'll do anything in my power to maintain these rights.

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
re-reading a post from last night, i was feeling pretty bad that some people consider their animals property. maybe i am wrong in my thinking, i consider my house,car,and materialistic things property. my dogs are family members and are not treated as so called property or "very special property". what is your opinion?
My dogs are my property - that doesn't diminish their role in my life and household - but I am their owner. Calling a dog a furkid or calling yourself a guardian only plays into the AR agenda. I have the right to make decisions over my property - I don't have rights to make decisions over independent beings as their guardians.

If you have children you are their guardian. If you have dogs you are their owner - simple enough.

Erica

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
My dogs are my property - that doesn't diminish their role in my life and household - but I am their owner. Calling a dog a furkid or calling yourself a guardian only plays into the AR agenda. I have the right to make decisions over my property - I don't have rights to make decisions over independent beings as their guardians.

If you have children you are their guardian. If you have dogs you are their owner - simple enough.

Erica
I think it's ridiculous to say that those of us who consider ourselves guardians or of our animals as family are falling into some AR agenda. How I feel about my pets has absolutely nothing to do with AR. And yes, we actually DO make decisions over beings who we are guardians to. Just like my stepfather was my guardian and had the right to make decisions for me.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts

Erica
YEP_YEP_YEP.....Couldn't have said it better.

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
Dogs are property in a legal sense only, not in a moral sense.
That doesn't make "any sense". Morally you have a problem with pet ownership? You must be strongly aligned with PETA and the HSUS - they also have moral objections to owning domesticated animals...

1 - 20 of 132 Posts