Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, guys !
Sorry for the double posts earlier.. I posted on the wrong place (Main Discussion) but I cannot delete it so I just post it on another..

I'm about to be a first time dog owner. :)

I would be really happy if anyone in this forum could help me to choose the right puppy since I'm inexperienced. The question is : are champion titles important?

I want my new golden retriever to be family pet, not for shows. but of course I want him to have good traits and health. Does more champion titles mean better traits and health? Or just a better appearance?

Do I really need to check champions title on the bloodline to have a better puppy?

Thank you so much :bowl:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Are Champion Titles Important?

Really, this forum is this active? thanks for giving me advises guys. It sure helps a lot. Thank you!

After reading all these.. I think I'll get the one with champion title in the bloodline , no need to have so many champion titles.. But at least his ancestors meet the standards..

I won't buy from a puppy mills or pet shop. Gonna buy it from breeder. But the breeder I choose seems large. Has more than 150 goldens.. Doesn't it mean their priority is money? Or it means that they are professionals? They will give you another new puppy in case your puppy die before 6 months from buying.
But I saw that they don't pay quite much attention for the grooming of their puppies (excluding the expensive ones).

What do you think? Better choose a small kennel which showers love but not quite popular with its quality or this large kennel ? This large kennel has quite many facilities for the dogs.. But I still don't know what's the best..

Again, thank you!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Not necessarily unless you are going to show. Just ask about health clearances and make sure the ancestors have had them too. Champion bloodlines don't mean much for pet owners, but health clearances mean everything.

Reactions: sherlySeptiani

·
Kate
21,400 Posts
While it's probably not NECESSARY for the parents to be champions, but I think looking on both sides (mom and dad) you want to see conformation titles, obedience titles, etc...

Those titles pretty much ensure that your dog will be close to standard as possible. While it may not matter that much for you as an owner, I DO think that all breeders out there should be pushed to breed to a higher standard vs whatever they can get their hands on. Otherwise, the further back you have to look for breed champions... the odds are you are going to see more and more faults in the litters being produced. And you are really getting into byb territory there with dogs with houndy ears or vastly oversized or undersized bodies, incorrect coats, round or light eyes, etc...

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Not necessarily unless you are going to show. Just ask about health clearances and make sure the ancestors have had them too. Champion bloodlines don't mean much for pet owners, but health clearances mean everything.
I am on the complete opposite end of the scale concerning this post. I want Ch. titles on a puppy's parents and beyond. If a parent doesn't have a title, then I want to know why. It might not be a deal breaker, but I would definitely prefer titles on both parents.

I agree 100% with Megora that I want a Golden that looks like a Golden. I want to know that the parents are as close to standard as possible and were judged by someone other than their owner(s). Have you ever heard of the term "kennel blind"? It's when a breeder refuses/can't see their own dogs' faults. By showing their dogs, it helps to avoid this. Not all the time, but it can be a wake up call if their dogs aren't winning.

If I ever purchase a puppy, I want the whole package, titles, health testing, temperament. And, I'm willing to pay for it, too.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
To me titles show the owner did something with the dog other than just bred them. Can be conformation, hunting, obedience, etc. titles. If the dog does not have a conformation championship than it should have a CCA- IMO- It shows the dog meet bred standard GRCA-CCA

The parents should also have the 4 clearances- OFA hips (after age 2), OFA elbows (after age 2), heart (by cardiologist), and CERF eyes (done yearly).

Welcome to the Group!

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Welcome to the Group!

To me titles show the owner did something with the dog other than just bred them. Can be conformation, hunting, obedience, etc. titles. If the dog does not have a conformation championship than it should have a CCA- IMO- It shows the dog meet bred standard GRCA-CCA

The parents should also have the 4 clearances- OFA hips (after age 2), OFA elbows (after age 2), heart (by cardiologist), and CERF eyes (done yearly).

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
I agree. I would prefer to see titles on the parents of the pup showing that the breeder has done SOMETHING with them. They can be Conformation titles, Obedience, Agility, Field, Etc.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Means nothing to me as all my dogs are rescues.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts

·
Love walks on four paws
2,946 Posts
I also think that if there are titles, then there is usually a reason for this breeding other than to produce puppies. If you are showing in conformation vs field those reasons most likely will differ a bit, same with agility and so on. But they show that the breeder has an interest in what ever arena they are in and therefore are most likely concerned with producing a pup for themselves with a specific purpose.....

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,360 Posts
I get two kinds of puppies, show dogs and pets. When I get a pet dog, I don't care about titles. In fact, I rescue the unwanted ones. And sometimes that means they are very far from the breed standard. And sometimes it means they have health iasues. I don't care. They are Goldens and I provide a loving home and wonderful life for them.

Obviously, with show dogs titles matter, at least in the pedigree if not in the parents.

·
Kate
21,400 Posts
Welcome to the Group!

All clearances is an absolute must on the parents, grandparents, etc.

I think that part of the reason why you may sometimes have dogs bred without titles is because the breeder wanted to breed them by 24 months and retire them from breeding by 48 months...

But sometimes these dogs don't get titles until they are older.

I'm probably biased here, because Jacks parents were not shown in anything. But lots of champions behind him ensure he at least looks like a golden.

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,360 Posts
I couldn't care less about titles for a pet dog. The only thing important in the pedigree is health clearances. I rescue puppies from mills. That means I'm not getting champions, and sometimes I get dogs with a health issue. I don't care. I'm doing something good. And in exchange, I get a wonderful dog who gives me unconditional love while I provide them with love and a great life. What could be better than that? :)

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
I would get from a reputable breeder myself if I wanted a purebred golden- DON'T support BYB or "greeters"- The same with petstores (puppy mills pups) and the Amish. But I would rescue from a shelter, private citizen (not breeder), or rescue, too but I would go with the belief this dog will cost me a fortune. Buying from a greeder is not the same thing as rescuing- That person will keep doing it as long as they keep making money.

I love Buddy to death but he was rescued from a horrible situation after he was sold by the Amish to a man who had no business owning a houseplant let alone and animal. Buddy has chronic health problems do to poor breeding and a rough start before I got him.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
I will never understand why people feel that a "pet" puppy should be so different in it's requirements of it's parents than a "show" puppy. It's crazy to me. I don't get it. Every litter has the possibility of show and pet puppies. Just because someone wants a pet doesn't mean that the breeder should be lacking in providing the best and healthiest possible breeding that they can. Why should I want any less in my pet puppy's breeding than the person that wants a show puppy. Aren't all show dogs first and foremost pets, too?

And BTW, rescues are a totally different ball game. Both of mine were rescues and Chance is as far from standard as you can get. The OP is talking purchasing a puppy from a breeder, not rescuing. When you rescue you know there's usually no history behind the puppy/dog. When you purchase, your puppy should have the best breeding possible, whether show or pet. Shouldn't matter.

Edited to add: Can the two threads be merged since they're the exact same thing?

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
I couldn't care less about titles for a pet dog. The only thing important in the pedigree is health clearances. I rescue puppies from mills. That means I'm not getting champions, and sometimes I get dogs with a health issue. I don't care. I'm doing something good. And in exchange, I get a wonderful dog who gives me unconditional love while I provide them with love and a great life. What could be better than that? :)
My Buddy is a rescue- Bred in Amish country, PA and sold to a man who has no business owning a houseplant let alone an animal. He has chronic health problems now do to poor breeding and a rough start in life but I would not trade him for the world. I know he will cost me a small fortune compared to the yorkies or even my previous Golden, Lucky.

But how do you "rescue puppies from mills?". Just wondering because there are different ways of doing it- Buy directly from the mill, buy from a petstore, or work with an actual rescue. I hope it is the later way. :)

If a person buys from a BYB or Greeder they are supporting abuse in my eyes. I would report them whenever possible myself.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Most breeders will only get 1 or 2 show quality pups from a litter the rest will be pet quality.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts