Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

This is my first posting apart from a short one on the introductions forum. My name is Ian and I'm a 34-year-old Dublin native living in Cologne, Germany. My 3.5-year-old Golden Retriever bitch, Ginger, is normally happy, healthy and full of bounce.

About a month ago, she started coughing and spluttering quite a lot, occasionally depositing saliva. The vet - who has an excellent reputation and my complete trust - attributed it to a tonsil infection, which is apparently common among puppies, but not so much among adult dogs like Ginny. It was a particularly nasty dose and is only just clearing up now after three weeks of antibiotics.

A couple of days ago, I noticed that she appeared to be limping slightly - not traceable to either front paw, just walking very, very slowly, like a very old dog. (Unless, of course, a rabbit entered her radar, in which case she tossed aside the zimmer frame and hared :doh: after it.)

I suspect either:

(a) She hurt her two front paws and they are still a little sensitive
(b) She has fever, sapping her of all her energy
(c) She has hardly any energy left after three weeks of antibiotics

Can anyone tell me from personal experience which of this (if any) it is likely to be? She is due to take her last tablet tonight, then I will give it until Friday and then take her to the vet.

All input very much appreciated.

Thanks

Ian

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
What's the antibiotic? Some of the heavier duty ones do cause lethargy, appetite problems, and even anemia sometimes.

Even if it's not a heavy duty antibiotic, she may simply not be tolerating it well. If she perks right up after she stops getting it, you have your answer.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Hi Ian and welcome to the GRF! :wavey:

It could be any of the above reasons but I would tend to believe it is a side effect from the antibiotics. They can upset the dogs stomach and make them feel not so good and thus lethargic. There are various supplements like yogurt, probiotics etc. that can help her feel better.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I hope it is the antibiotics since that is the easiest answer. My old guy has to take them all the time almost and he doesn't slow down as far as I can tell.
Ginger (I love her name) might have strained a muscle or hurt herself while haring after rabbits.:);):p:
Welcome to the forum and I am sorry to not have more information for you. I hoep Ginger gets back to her old self quickly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's the antibiotic? Some of the heavier duty ones do cause lethargy, appetite problems, and even anemia sometimes.

Even if it's not a heavy duty antibiotic, she may simply not be tolerating it well. If she perks right up after she stops getting it, you have your answer.
That's good to know - thanks. The antibiotic is called Baytril flavour 150 mg.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've just done a quick Google on "Baytril flavour 150 mg" in German and there is no info about side effects (and no info at all in English). Let's hope it's the antibiotics - she does seem to have an upset tummy as well.

Thanks all round!

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Baytril is the brand name. The medicine in there is enrofloxacin, which has a rare side effect of causing joint damage in some dogs, though that has been observed almost exclusively in young puppies (<28 weeks).

I'd talk to your vet about it, particularly if she still appears to be limping now that you've stopped the medicine. If her limping completely goes away right after you stop, I'd say you should avoid that antibiotic in the future.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Qiuck update

Hi all,

It's been two days since Ginny had her last tablet, but judging from the gurgling coming from her stomach, she hasn't quite got the antibiotics out of her system yet. She isn't back to herself yet either, but that's to be expected. She did cough and splutter a bit this morning, but I hope that was due to another reason and not because her tonsil infection is still there. :(

I think I'll give it till tomorrow evening and then take her to the vet. Or should I wait out the weekend?

Any thoughts?

All the best

Ian

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Personally I would not wait out the weekend and would likely take her to see the vet today. Things have a tendency to turn bad so quick I would not want to take the chance of finding care I was confident in on a weekend if I could at all avoid it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick update:

A couple of days after the last post, I took her to the vet again just to be on the safe side. Although there was still excess saliva causing her to cough and splutter occasionally, the area in question was not sensitive to touch any more, her demeanour and temperature were fine, she was eating again and was pretty much back to her old self. He attributed her slight limp to the fact that she hadn't gotten her normal exercise for a month or so and was a bit stiff. A week later, it's still there a bit, but I think it's gradually getting better. In any case, I was glad that he didn't want to give her any more antibiotics.

Thanks again for your help and interest!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Glad you got a good update from the vet. Hopefully with some good exercise and love she will be back to normal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts