Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Are All Females OK?

808 views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  sophie,sadie,hannah's mom 
#1 ·
We are thinking about getting a bitch and we already have 2 labrador bitches. We have never had a days problem with either of them being aggressive to each other. They just play all day! Can same sex dogs all get along? Or would I be better to get a male?

Does anyone have a golden bitch that lives together ok with other bitches?

#3 ·
I've always had males, with the exception of Nikita back in the 90's. The males always got along just fine. Nikita got along with Rusty, and then Comet, just fine as well but she could definitely have her 'Bitch' moments that I never really saw with the males.

#5 ·
I worry about the same thing when I get my puppy why I want a boy so bad I think.

#6 ·
I have 2 females and for the most part they get along great.... They have had a few fights and they were pretty nasty. 1 female gets along with most other females and my other females doesnt except my own.

#7 ·
two females, two males. Both girls spayed, oldest male neutered, intact younger male. Oldest female is alpha, well, after me of course. She rules the roost. She has such an air about her that none of the others ever challenge her. When I brought the youngest one in four years ago I had some misgivings because my Tess is the reason females dogs are called what they are, took my time introducing the pesky little bugger to all of them. As it turned out I had nothing to worry about. Tess made sure he knew what his place was in the pack, he bonded instantly to Libby, the younger female. Treats Rusty like an older wiser brother. It is kind of funny how it all works out. If Raider is being an obnoxious brat towards Tess and she gets a little snarly, Libby becomes the peacemaker and actually gets in between the two of them to calm things down, and of course, all I have to do is tell them all to knock it off and all is well again. I worried for months for nothing.

#9 ·
Before we had quinn and reeva we had 2 goldens (sisters, same parents different litters) both were neutered, and we never had as much as a growl or turned up nose in 13 years except when playing. They also mixed with my dad's springer and all were fine. When i was a kid we had 2 sisters and the only time they fought was if they were fed in the same room - so to avoid it we just seperated them for feeding.

I know some people throw their hands up in horror when you mention 2 bitches together, but i honestly think a lot depends on you knowing your dog/s

#10 ·
I have always had spayed females, and with the last 4 or so dogs introduced a new one to one who is later in life. I have never had problems, Maxine had to defend her territory and teach Teddi about it but it was NEVER rude. They are best friends now. I would think it may be a bigger issue with dogs that are intact.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.