Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
My wife and I have a 2 year old golden who is a doll in every way. We rescued her from a shelter. We have since acquired two golden pups which will be ready to come home in February. We are sooooo excited and looking forward to the challenge. The local shelter who we adopted our 2 year old from has offered us another golden. She is a 3 year old stray, just had pups, and currently has and is being treated for kennel cough. Her personality is so so sweet, laid back, and just looking for love. Very shy but loves attention. She is very underweight but in good spirits. So my question is even though we did not seek 4 goldens, is it ok to give a loving home to 4 or is this just over the top and dangerous from the k9 "pack" standpoint. We want to do the right thing. It's not about money but rather the welfare of all dogs involved. Any opinions would greatly be appreciated..
Thanks all!

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Have you had multiple dogs before? I think your biggest thing will be your existing girl and a new adult female. The pups would be submissive to them. The anew shelter female could potentially see the puppies as her own.

Just food for thought. Hopefully others will answer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No we haven't. We did do a meet and greet at the shelter with our girl since she has had all of shots and kennel cough vaccine. The visit went great. Both girls are super submissive and laid back. Our girl loves all dogs but just does not like to be overpowered. The pups however have not come home yet.

·
Kate
21,672 Posts
I'm not going to be any help here, because reading the description of that female... I'm somewhat thinking that she might help with the two (!) pups. :eek:

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
If you had 3 goldens currently and were thinking of adding the 4th, then maybe. But, since you just have 1 golden are you are adding 2 (potentially 3) I don't think I would. I'm not sure if you've ever had a multi-dog household, or even one with 3 dogs in it. I just think adding 3 dogs at once would be too much, especially since 2 are pups (which is going to be a lot of work in itself... I have raised littermates before... will never do it again).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was our thought too. We just feel soo sad for the poor girl in the shelter right now. Just like every dog, she doesnt deserve it. She just had pups so I think the combination of being a stray and the pups has left her underweight. I just wanna get her a real good bath, couple grooms, and some high grade food. I think she will be fine given a little time. She is not spayed yet obviously and is very laid back already. After she gets through this kennel cough issue and the spay, I think she will be even more relaxed but just my opinion. Having said that, this is why we are considering the 4 but I am still very concerned that this may be a problem in some way I am not thinking about. Our emotions are high right now and our thought process may be off as a result.

·
Registered
684 Posts
That was our thought too. We just feel soo sad for the poor girl in the shelter right now. Just like every dog, she doesnt deserve it. She just had pups so I think the combination of being a stray and the pups has left her underweight. I just wanna get her a real good bath, couple grooms, and some high grade food. I think she will be fine given a little time. She is not spayed yet obviously and is very laid back already. After she gets through this kennel cough issue and the spay, I think she will be even more relaxed but just my opinion. Having said that, this is why we are considering the 4 but I am still very concerned that this may be a problem in some way I am not thinking about. Our emotions are high right now and our thought process may be off as a result.
One thing you could do is "foster" the new dog and see how she fits in with your home. If it is not a good fit, then you could find her a forever home. In the mean time, you will have gotten her out of the shelter and, hopefully, have gotten her to a health weight.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Is the shelter open to you taking her on a trial basis? Lease with option to buy type of thing. Or allowing you to kind of foster to get her out of the shelter? That why they can focus on getting her the perfect home while she guilts herself up.

Just a thought. I know I would pull her from the shelter but I'm a foul at times.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
I think 4 (which I have) is much harder than three. You don't want to go over the number of dogs you can transport on one hike,lol. Once you have to do shifts for exercise, the dogs take over all of life. Each new dog will need hours of one on one attention every day to create an essential bond with you rather than becoming a dog's dog. I think adding one new canine at a time and giving that dog or puppy your full attention is a wiser plan no matter how many you ultimately own.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I had four dogs for 7 years. Lost two of my beloved doggies last year,, I miss them desperately, but am adding a new pup in a little over a week. To answer your question, even though I loved having all four of mine, I don't think I would ever have four again. Yes, four I think is too much. And if you are adding two puppies very soon, they will be enough of a challenge at least for a few months that if I were you, I wouldn't even consider adding another one.

Reactions: Ljilly28

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I've had 4 dogs in the past and 3 of them were wonderful (two goldens and my lab/golden mix), one was crazy.

I have three now and I love having three, though in the future, I want to keep it at 2. I am the one who walks them and takes them places and it's easier with two than three.

However, if you can afford 4 and think you can manage taking all 4 places, then I say go for it. Though I can promise you will be quite overwhelmed when you bring those puppies home!

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
well I have 9 dogs and 4 seems like heaven...

I think it depends on what other commitments you have in your life... do you have a partner who will help and love hte dogs as much as you do... do you have a steady schedule....

The nice think about four is that I can take two on a hike or walk and not feel guilty about leaving TWO home... I always felt guilty when I would leave one at home. I do have a husband that takes some and I take some....

and honestly I think that going from 1 to 3 or 4 could be crazy at first but you will figure it out... and you will look back on the hecticness with fondness someday... The one thing I will say about having multiple dogs is you MUST be consistant and establish rules and boundaries or you will have mayhem...

·
AAARF!
2,216 Posts
I totally agree with CarolinaCasey. I personally would take the older girl. Two puppies at once? That sounds like a lot of hard work.

·
Claire
641 Posts
I have had 4 dogs at once it is hectic, meal times need to be seperared and planned ahead. Especially with the puppies. I would never get 2 puppies at the same time, house training and obedience training is 10x harder as if you are not watching you dont know which one had an.accident. many breeders would not give out 2 puppies at the same time.
As someone else said the stray that just had puppies might think the 2 are hers and protect them from the other one. I would say no as it might not be fair to the animals.

·
Registered
233 Posts
These are the thoughts that came to mind when I read your post:

1)I've heard two puppies at the same time is pretty rough and I 100% believe it.

2)Going from 1 to 4 seems to be a bit much *especially* since two are puppies.

3)The only way I could see 4 working (even if they were all adults) is if you have an equally dedicated spouse that can handle two while you handle the other two. After being pretty much 100% responsible for the pup we have right now, I think I could handle being responsible for a second dog once Ada is older (definitely not now when she's still a pup)...but no more.

4)Could you maybe only take one puppy and the shelter girl? Three is still a lot, but if your spouse helps out I think it's doable and having only one puppy will make it a lot easier. Plus as others mentioned, the puppy you don't take will most likely find a home and the shelter girl may not.

Just my two cents:). Good luck with w/e you decide!

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Sometimes dogs just find us who need us.

We rescued a young adult GSD three weeks before I was to have my first baby. We already had a young Great Pyr and another GSD. We weren't looking for a new dog, but a long story, she found us, and she needed us. Worst time to get a dog? YES. Do we regret it? NO. Was it difficult? Yes and no. She did go into heat the day I came home from the hospital - that was crazy.

Three was BUSY, I guess I did not realize how much work they were until the first one went to the bridge.

I think 3 or 4 dogs in my life now would be a lot easier for me now - right now I only have two - because my kids are older, we have a bigger house and a better set up outside.

I like the foster idea. When Nikki came to us, it was actually only supposed to be a few days, but she fell in love with my husband - and we had to keep her.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
for me its all about logistics.. once you have the logistics figured out then its no big deal... and here when we add a dog its again just all about where the food dish is gonna go... do they need a crate or not... its logistics not love.

two puppies together are crazy... you really have to divide the work and make sure you do things with them apart. We have had same age dogs a few times in our lives... is it a pain in the neck yes, do you make it work yes, would I recommend it to a puppy buyer absolutely not but my attitude is different with rescue dogs that need you to save them...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts