Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor boy. He's not even 3.5 yet. He appeared to have a grand mal seizure. My husband was in the room when it started. He started running in circles. Then he was lying on his side, vomiting and seizing while I held his head from hitting the wall. It was the longest 30 seconds of my life. We could see his confusion and fear as he began to come out of it. We go to the vet tomorrow. I don't know what happens next. His last dose of flea and heartworm meds was the 15th. He's been on Zyrtec for allergies for 2 months now. He's not getting anything but his food tonight. I can't believe this is happening to my boy.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
You must be absolutely terrified. I am so sorry that this has happened to Archer. Sending thoughts, prayers and positive thoughts for you all. Hugs.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I know what you mean when you say the longest 30 seconds of your life. I hope your vet finds the reason. Hopefully it was an adverse reaction to something that can be identified and eliminated. Keep us posted. I will say prayers for Archer that it's nothing serious.

·
Kate
21,492 Posts
Talk to your vet about any possible connection with Zyrtec - since this is new(ish). Two months may have been enough time for it to build up in his system.

Also - did you move recently? There could be something he was exposed to. Anything that you can think of - that he may have eaten outside. Also anything inside the house - especially chemicals.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We've been in the same place for 6 months. He was in the new nursery when it happened, but he's been in there multiple times and it was painted months ago. There's nothing unusual about the house. If anything triggered it that was unusual about today, my guess is it was febreze. I've used a different brand before but today I sprayed the couch after vacuuming and he jumped up right after. I'm afraid he may have gotten it on his fur while it was still wet and locked it. He also has a bad habit of just licking the furniture until it's wet. We usually try to keep it covered with a blanket because he does this. I never really thought about it but now I feel awful.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He's my good boy. I've watched Lottie tear apart and eat a bag of muffins while he just watched. That was one of the better uses for the baby camera, identifying the guilty puppy. So I don't think there's anything in the house that he could/would have gotten into. He does occasionally pick up sticks or grass in the yard.

·
Leslie
719 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope your vet can determine the cause and I hope it's something you can avoid. Helo did the running in circles thing before he had one of his seizures. He never does that in the house and he was running at full speed. I kind of caught him and told him to slow down and he fell to the ground in a very bad seizure. It was scary and those 30 to 60 seconds feel like an eternity. I'll be thinking of you and Archer tomorrow and hope he has no more seizures.

·
Glynis
2,534 Posts
Our Harley also had a grand mal seizure last November after taking Bravecto for the first time. It was horrific. I have never been so frightened so I know just how you feel. Sometimes it can be a combination of things - medication, flea and tick meds, maybe weed killer, household chemicals, even vaccinations all combining, not just one thing. We have been fortunate that Harley has not had another seizure. However he will never have Bravecto again and we are avoiding all possible chemicals as best we can including preservatives in his food on the advice of our vet. Hoping for a good outcome for your boy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, it is horrific to watch. Almost 9 weeks ago my 3 yr old boy had a seizure too (at night) and it was the scariest moment of my life. A second one hasn't presented itself yet...
It's sometimes very hard to pin point the trigger, I don't think there always is one, it's just the brain that malfunctions.

There a lots of great stories here of dogs that do not get a lot of seizures in their life (with or without medication) and live just as long and happily as before. Maybe it is even a one time seizure only. I keep my fingers crossed for that!

I wish all the best for sweet Archer and keep him in my thoughts!

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that! It's so scary when it happens.
Have you had him tested for tick borne diseases recently? It can be the first sign of a couple of them.
Sending good thoughts your way.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
I'm sorry Archer had a seizure, I can relate to how scary it can be when they happen.
Hope the vet visit gives you some answers.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
I'm so sorry that you and Archer are going through this. Grand mal seizures are absolutely horrible to witness, though I understand that they are not painful to experience.

Most of what I know about seizures is captured in the Seizures 101 thread and the rest is in the threads about Charlie and Joker that are linked in my signature. The most important thing to do right now is to start a seizures journal. Write down every single detail you can remember about that first seizures - the time, location, what Archer ate (main ingredients of the dog food, vitamins, etc.), meds, flea treatment, chemicals like Febreze, etc. This will help you and your vet figure out what his triggers are. I know of one dog whose seizures were triggered by food with lamb in it; taken off lamb, her seizures stopped completely. Charlie's were triggered by Frontline Plus, which is a common trigger.

If Archer hasn't been tested for hypothyroidism, now is a good time to do it. The condition is common in Goldens and often shows up around Archer's age. Keep in mind that "low normal" is significantly low for a Golden and can cause seizures.

Some dogs have one seizure and never have another. That's especially common in young dogs. If the cause is primary epilepsy, which means seizures of unknown origin, there is every reason to think that Archer will live a long and mostly normal life. If there is some other cause, then the sooner you know what that is the better.

Please don't blame yourself for this, though I know how hard it is to honor that request. What matters to Archer now is that you love him and will do your best for him. He knows for sure that wouldn't have done anything deliberately to cause the seizure or to harm him.

Good luck with your vet and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
So sorry to hear about this. I had a golden years ago who ended up being put on phenobarbital long term for seizures. Once we got the correct dose he never had another one. But I remember how scary that first seizure out of the blue was. I hope you get it all solved soon.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm so sorry to hear that! It's so scary when it happens.
Have you had him tested for tick borne diseases recently? It can be the first sign of a couple of them.
Sending good thoughts your way.
We have never had him tested. I'll ask the vet about it today. We don't see many ticks and I keep him on Nexgard year round.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you, everyone. He's doing well now, back to stealing socks from the laundry basket :) Hopefully the vet will have some answers. I'm glad we were both home to be there with him. I worry that if it happened while we were at work we may have never known.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We have never had him tested. I'll ask the vet about it today. We don't see many ticks and I keep him on Nexgard year round.
Be careful with Nexgard, it says in the package leaflet it can cause seizures in dogs, it happend to a couple of dogs during the trial... Some for any other pill like that, Bravecto etc.
I'd switch to another product.

My dog had a seizure and I immediately had him tested for Lyme disease, since we live in an area with high risk of infection, and he tested positive. So this might have caused that seizure in my dog, we'll have to wait a little longer to know for sure, but it is pointing in that direction.
Even a tick that is still attached can cause temporally neurological symptoms, like seizures and paralysis.

It might be worth it to test your dog also, since not many dogs show symptoms in an early stage.

I'm not saying this is it, but you never know and it's best to rule out as much as possible.

Good luck!

I'm very happy he is doing well and up to his old tricks. :)

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He's having a blood panel done to test for hypothyroid and for TBD. They said we should have results Tuesday. The vet also had us switch him off of Nexgard as a precaution. He'll be using a Vectra the rest of the summer but we'll probably have to switch to something else during hunting season because he swims so much.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Blood work came back this afternoon. Everything looked normal, negative for TBD or hypothyroidism. The vet said his thyroid level was 1.7 but there is another thyroid test they haven't received yet. We talked flea and tick preventative going forward since that is the biggest concern for the cause. The only oral medicine that doesn't have a chance of neurological side effects is Trifexis, but we've tried that and Archer experienced vomiting. Luckily we don't have a big problem with ticks, I've actually never seen one here, so I think he'll just get the Vectra. It may not be effective in the winter with all of his swimming but at least I know it's not causing seizures. Now I have to decide what to do for Teal and Lottie. I want to keep them safe from Heartworm and fleas, but I'm also terrified that one of them will experience this reaction too. Our vet is wonderful and already reached out to the Nexgard vendor for me. If I want to return it for a refund I can. I don't think I'd want any of them on Trifexis either.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts