Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...is probably not good for dogs!! Man, we went an entire month without a kitty poop eating incident and now, twice in one day!!! Before when he got into it I'd use a wet paper towel with regular toothpaste to get the stuff stuck in his mouth off and freshen that stinky breath. This time, my son has this bubbly minty kind and Max doesn't seem to mind it nearly as much.

I thought this phase in our lives was over. :( Oh woe is me!!

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Those kitty crunchies taste so yummy! I have three cats and three cat boxes and have to be ever vigilant. I only have one grazer in my crew....Sampson! I am a very frequent scooper but once in awhile he sneaks a snack. Sampson has a lousy poker face and I can always tell when he has been in the mud room closet where I keep the boxes. It is so funny...he looks so guilty! I have never tried toothpaste therapy. Maybe that would give him second thoughts? Too funny! :yuck::yuck:

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Not a great idea to use regular toothpaste on dogs in general, as they aren't able to spit it out like humans and swallowing the fluoride is not good for them.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I wouldn't really do it, think the smell of the toothpaste alone would send Sammy running! :)

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Not a great idea to use regular toothpaste on dogs in general, as they aren't able to spit it out like humans and swallowing the fluoride is not good for them.
Exactly. The fluoride can actually be extremely toxic to dogs if they swallow enough of it. A good enzymatic dog toothpaste would be much better and is totally safe. Never use regular human toothpaste on a dog.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah, well that's what I have on hand and I water it down and don't leave much there for him to ingest. It hasn't hurt him yet and letting him run around with bits of cat poop in his mouth and that poop smell isn't really an option for me. I will look for doggy toothpaste in the future but for now, he is poop and poop breath free.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts