Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe I'm writing this, but my April girl has cancer. I took her in to the vet today because she wouldn't eat her breakfast (highly unusual as she usually inhales her food in minutes). They did bloodwork which showed her to be anemic and a low red blood cell count. He sent me to their other clinic (they have 3 locations, but only one with an ultrasound machine) to get an ultrasound and try to figure out whats going on. The ultrasound showed a huge mass in her abdomen. The vet said it is so big she can't see where it is originating from, her spleen? her liver? She told me my option is surgery, which is risky in itself but especially since April is already anemic. The tumor could rupture during surgery and spill cancer cells all over her insides. Or it could already have attached itself to her other organs making it impossible to remove. Or if surgery goes well, it could always grow back. She sent me home to take the day to think about it. Waiting for my husband to get home from work so we can discuss it. I assume we will try the surgery. She is only 8 years old and comes from a great breeder. This is what stinks about goldens-no matter how good the breeder or how much they try, cancer still happens. Thing is, you kinda tend to think it only happens to other people's dogs until it happens to yours. Feeling very devastated right now, prayers appreciated!

·
Kate
21,060 Posts
Oh no no no. :(

I'm so sorry to see this pop up.... and I'm hoping because of her age, surgery isn't just a good option - but recovery is successful and complete after.

It sounds like it's the spleen....

Please talk to Barb @hotel4dogs. I think she's in your area and she successfully had a splenectomy done on her previous old boy who was older than April. I hope she can help!

When we went through this last with my Danny - I opted for surgery immediately because waiting any amount of time was uncomfortable/painful for him and it risked rupture.

He died the next day from a blood clot post surgery - so where you have this done and the experience of the surgeon and care team is a huge deal to me if I ever go through this again. I hope not, but with this breed it's unfortunately always an issue when they get older.

Danny was 12. I think a much younger dog has a chance at handling the surgery well.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
I am so sorry to hear you and she have to deal with this. Try hard NOT to think about how things could go wrong, but instead think about it going right. She's young- and I'll be praying it will be splenic and easily removed, along w the spleen. That's a best case and once it's out it's gone and it's what I am putting my mental energy towards.
If it is splenic- she's probably anemic because it's slow bleeding and she'll bounce right back quickly once that tumor is gone. Give her a big hug from me. I'm going to imagine her in that litter Nancy took along to the dog show in 2011 that I got to cuddle on when handing over MB to her @ the rest area in Chattanooga...

·
Registered
637 Posts
I definitely support you on your decision for operation. I went through the same and it has been almost 2 years since the operation. Her mass was also that big that did not fit into the screen. Keep calm mentally, keep her calm aswell ( not much activity till operation please), anemia is normal at this stage. All will go as it is supposed to be. Whatever happens, you will be giving both to April and yourself a second chance and you both owe it to eachother. I am debtful to universe for each day she is still alive. Hopefully, all will go well and you will be still taking walks with April the next May
PS: Forgot to add you that her huge mass was also benign but a friend went through this aswell . Hers was malign but no metas till now:)))

·
Ann
385 Posts
I can't believe I'm writing this, but my April girl has cancer. I took her in to the vet today because she wouldn't eat her breakfast (highly unusual as she usually inhales her food in minutes). They did bloodwork which showed her to be anemic and a low red blood cell count. He sent me to their other clinic (they have 3 locations, but only one with an ultrasound machine) to get an ultrasound and try to figure out whats going on. The ultrasound showed a huge mass in her abdomen. The vet said it is so big she can't see where it is originating from, her spleen? her liver? She told me my option is surgery, which is risky in itself but especially since April is already anemic. The tumor could rupture during surgery and spill cancer cells all over her insides. Or it could already have attached itself to her other organs making it impossible to remove. Or if surgery goes well, it could always grow back. She sent me home to take the day to think about it. Waiting for my husband to get home from work so we can discuss it. I assume we will try the surgery. She is only 8 years old and comes from a great breeder. This is what stinks about goldens-no matter how good the breeder or how much they try, cancer still happens. Thing is, you kinda tend to think it only happens to other people's dogs until it happens to yours. Feeling very devastated right now, prayers appreciated!
I’m so, so sorry to hear that your sweet girl has cancer. Out 11 year old Lincoln was diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma of the spleen. He had two large tumors. We too had an ultrasound done. We chose not to have it biopsied because we were told that even if he did have surgery, he would only last 3 mos. As it turned out, it was hemangioma and he lived for 14 months. In August, however, they found a tumor in his upper heart chamber. Sadly, we had to put him down.

You didn’t mention what kind of cancer. Did you have a biopsy done? If not, is it possible that it could be hemangioma like what our Lincoln had? Can they even be absolutely certain it’s cancer without a biopsy? I think I’d want to know definitely before surgery.

Any surgery has risks and they need to give you a “worse case scenario”. I’d put your thoughts and energy into positive thoughts. We will pray for her. Please keep us updated when you can. Good luck

Lincoln in July with 1 year old Bear

Attachments

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I'm so very sorry. My Luke had a splenectomy four months ago when he was still eight. They saw a mass on his spleen, aspirated it and got a maybe cancer diagnosis. We decided to go ahead and do the splenectomy. We were fortunate in that it wasn't bleeding and the surgeon was able to remove it and didn't see cancer elsewhere. Just to be certain, however, he took a biopsy of the liver. It turned out to be an aggressive cancer for Luke and it had metastasized to his liver, but had it not been he would have lived a happy life without his spleen. I would make the same decision again to get the splenectomy because I think at eight they have a lot of life left to live.

Luke was anemic by the way when he needed his splenectomy. He received a blood transfusion for the surgery. Ten days later he was swimming in our pool!

Prayers for your sweet April. She's a beautiful girl.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I will be praying hard for your beautiful April. If she was eating up until today, you probably caught it quickly. She is young and strong.
Chance had a large (went deep) mass on his upper chest when he was 10 and we opted for surgery. The doctor did a biopsy before surgery which revealed it was malignant but a slow growing type and not typically the kind that metastacizes. We opted for surgery and the results were excellent. Chance healed relatively quickly and the cancer did not return. Please know there are lots of good stories out there.

·
I miss my Buddy
11,531 Posts
I am so sorry for bad news. That awful thing is something what we all fear. Sending good vibes your way.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband as you decide how to treat beautiful Miss April. I've been there and it's never easy. I wish you the best in making the decisions you need to make.

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
I am so sorry for April's diagnosis :( . I'm sure your family will make the right decision and do what's best for her. Prayers going out to sweet April and your family. Hugs

1 - 20 of 82 Posts