Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
where the tails wag
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
April training Logs, dreams, goals, accomplishments, challenges and brags thread :)

·
where the tails wag
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will be trying something new -- a silver subscription at FDSA.

Finch has another week of maternity duties, and then will be coming back -- but that is after the Apr 1 start of FDSA classes. So, I signed up for a silver level of a Novice Prep class so I can submit 2 videos for feedback .... could be useful!

Faelan continues to train although I do need to focus more on rally for him since he is retired from AKC obedience.

Towhee was dropped off at Sunfire Mt this morning and will be back in 3-4 weeks, when she will continue her Utility training and perhaps be entered in trials :) But Apr is pretty much out for her while she is in season.

Brady is prepping for Utility

Aedan is prepping for both Open & Utility.

Today upon arrival at home I brought Brady in first and then unloaded groceries & such. By the time I got back for Faelan & Aedan, Aedan had snatched up Towhee's panties ---- so, I think I might wait on washing them and use them for a few days as a distraction (she says with a grin)

·
where the tails wag
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Need to add measuring to both Aedan's & Finch's training plan.

My dogs usually get trained this but I had honestly forgotten your dog can be measured with a yardstick at the judges discretion.

·
where the tails wag
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yesterday we worked on
>heeling with signals
>command discrimination

This morning we worked
>heeling with signals (better than yesterday)
>command discrimination
>go outs to a tree along the back driveway
>teeter with my running by for Faelan & Brady, 4o4o with Aedan

·
Registered
736 Posts
I tried 8 independent weave poles in the backyard with Penny yesterday and she did pretty good.

In class, we worked on serps, threadles, backsides of tunnels, and moving ahead of the dog in the weaves to fit in a front for the next jump.

Penny did good, I need to revisit backie-uppies and some other advanced collection cues with her in the backyard. I tried doing a butt - pass in the serpentine (competitors don't call it that though, substitute "butt" for a synonym for a donkey), which is just having the dog go behind you to take the next jump. She used to do them really well, but I can't remember the last time I practiced it, and she refused to go behind me, opting to stop in her tracks and bark at me instead.

I ran the border collie again. My first round with him had a lot of me forgetting to say his name to get him to check in/stay connected, so we had a lot of off course jumps. He didn't like the threadle, I don't think he has much experience with it yet. We were connected a lot better the second round.

·
where the tails wag
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finch is reportedly DONE with mama duties so I get to pick her up -- probably tomorrow after work or this weekend :) The puppy party will be next weekend.

Barb had issues with Finch (no matter how long since she last ate) regurgitating her food for her pups and Barb had to start preventing her ... well Finch apparently decided that she wasn't supposed to feed OR nurse the pups anymore LOL

Note: The pups have been on solid food for like 4 weeks now, so weaning was just sped up a bit ... Finch has been being kept from her pups more & more so the timing is probably good anyway.

One pup chased his mama hundred yards outside while Finch was looking for just the right place to poop and found his way back without anyone needing to fetch him up other than verbally 'hooting & hollering' --- good puppy! (several people were outside with the pups so they were free to roam the upper property by the house so he was in absolutely no danger).

·
Karen
981 Posts
Glimmer and I are back to agility class this week.

We worked on 3 short sequences, 6 or 8 obstacles, with discrimination on tunnel entrances-- one run with a direct entrance in the line of the previous obstacle and then the second run with a pull or cross to line with the other tunnel end. I really have a time getting a blind cross into my sequences... Almost always end up doing a front --- or starting a front and then quickly flipping to a blind :)

Glimmer was great for not being in training for several weeks. I lost her on the third set of runs, but I could see she was getting overloaded.

In FDSA weaves this session at bronze.

·
where the tails wag
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The dogs had yesterday off to re-acquaint themselves to Finch :) she came home Thu night since the weather forecast was iffy for Friday.

Today, outside with no jacket!!, we worked in the yard since I have a packed schedule

Faelan: signals, heeling with a emphasis on slows, fun recalls, Go Outs & teeter
Brady: signals (yay!), heeling, ransom drops & send, Go Outs & teeter
Aedan: Heeling, signals, stand, CD, fun recalls & quite awhile on the teeter -- he wants to either stay 4 on the plank or exit; I'd like a solid 2o2o
Finch: Heeling, stands, downs, recalls, waits and wrestling

·
Registered
736 Posts
We didn't Q in every run this weekend, but I still consider it a perfect weekend because Penny ran so well with such nice focus - except for when she broke her start line stay in Jumpers Friday. She earned QQ #10 and her Bronze level Masters title Friday. Saturday she earned 3/4 Qs, missing Standard because I didn't support the second pole in a tough entry, so she skipped it. She had a beautiful Standard run and Jumpers run today, but no Q in either due to handler error. I forgot to decelerate to cue the turn to the weaves in Standard, so she took an off-course tunnel. In Jumpers, I played a little with distance, didn't support a jump enough, and she skipped it.

·
where the tails wag
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's that time of year.

My breeder reminded me about some nice upcoming shows. Problem being last year while my Brady (1st time in Utility) was studiously working his scent articles, a USAF jet fighter formation flew low to the ground and the formation lasted MINUTES! Seriously! My Brady then decided articles weren't trustworthy, I mean the noise is incredible, the ground shakes and the world seems like it's going to end.

Anyway I asked about the odds of that happening again, and 1 friend suggested I hire a B52 bomber for proofing :) :)

·
where the tails wag
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
last night was kibble night. So I took advantage of it :)

The boys (Faelan, Brady & Aedan) did signals & scent articles for kibble. Finch had heeling, downs and stands for kibble.

This morning was working outside. The boys had heeling, some signal work and and fast pivot and send to the teeter for the recall portion. :) Finch had heeling, downs and recalls after some exploring of the teeter while she had acclimation time, just letting her explore that piece of equipment that had the scent of her housemates....

·
where the tails wag
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
towhee's home :)

My house is full again. Faelan, Towhee, Brady, Aedan and Finch.

This weekend Faelan & Aedan had rabies shots so the dogs had a rest day. Sunday we had a rental where the dogs (except Towhee) went through their levels. Finch is also advancing her jump & retrieve training.

Monday is typically a rest day and I picked Ms Towhee up after work so a long day.

Yesterday another long day due to jury duty.

This morning all the dogs worked some pressure heeling, Finch got to heel by my sneakers LOL signals and drops as appropriate so a good training session.

Faelan is still fully trained on a regular basis although retired. Towhee may be retired (11 plus her auto accident injuries). Brady will be retired once he earns his UD.

Aedan will be shown to his CDX and UD while Finch will hopefully be shown to complete her CD then CDX and UD.

Then on to either agility or rally, possibly both :)

·
Maegan
429 Posts
Well I've had a crazy month this month, but I wanted to give an update on Rocket: We've been training and training for RACH classes, and we did 5 Triple Qs this past weekend at the GRCA Central Regional/GRCCO Specialty/Central Ohio KC shows. We ended up with several placements, 74 RACH points (almost a quarter needed for the title in a single weekend!), and got our first Master points (24)! He worked very hard and I am so so proud. We now have a total of 8 QQQs and should finish RM and RAE this weekend. Then Rocket will be on break from trialing for awhile - probably until fall at least.

We also brought home our new puppy a week ago Monday, and she is doing great! Very busy, and bossy, and all puppy right now, but she learns FAST. I'm very hopeful for her future. We had our first puppy class last night and she was amazing! Was by far the youngest puppy there at 9.5 weeks and was doing everything right pretty much the first time! She's a very good girl in training, although I think she might be a bit more dog than Rocket when she's older, so will be probably be a little naughtier in the house, but I'm ok with that. :)

Attachments

·
where the tails wag
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congrats for team Rocket :)

And super congrats on the puppy !

·
where the tails wag
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I mentioned to Barb about my having Finch heeling past my sneakers and she asked if she could heel by hotdogs LOL

So, I went to the grocery store and picked up some of those mini hot dogs and will figure out how to prepare them to help minimize the chemicals & stuff that the dogs might ingest.

·
where the tails wag
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yesterday we had drop in classes.

Finch, in Novice, was pretty -- I heard others telling their dogs to watch her LOL but I had food on me so .....

Aedan, in Open, was having me thinking I will be donating my entry fees in a few weeks ---- sigh. I think I have figured out why though -- is it possible he is having confusion between scent articles and simple retrieves? Between the DOR recall (plus he started to anticipate the drop) and the Command Discrimination? he tries so hard and is such an honest dog that I am thinking those are the cases. Sigh. 3 trials so about 100$ but we shall see ... at least I would have the Friday off from work if I decide to pull. I could bring a few dogs up to the show site and do some acclimation and training (outdoors at a fair ground)

·
where the tails wag
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We had an abbreviated rental yesterday.

Finch had ring entrances, heeling & recalls
Faelan had signals, Go Outs and Directed Jumping
Aedan had ring entrances, Go Outs, heeling & retrieves

I had the stereo on to some great music and was dance/walking while heeling, doing things like spinning & pointing to the songs beat while they were on waits etc

Then the rental was interrupted .. the club is on the case and the cause will be dealt with.

Towhee did not get a chance to work, nor did Brady. Brady was so anxious to leave the interrupter behind him that he jumped into the Xterra when his crate door was still closed ... surprised me but he is okay.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts