Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do breeders or dog trainers ever mentor someone(like me!) who wants to give up a career in order to work with goldens?

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Sure. That's how I started in dog training.

Find a good breeder, express your interest in learning everything about the breed, showing, grooming, etc. They are often happy to have the help! You'll be a "bucket bitch" but you'll learn an awful lot along the way!

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I admire you Jill! Wish I would have done something like that back when I could.
YOU GO GIRL!!!!

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
Do breeders or dog trainers ever mentor someone(like me!) who wants to give up a career in order to work with goldens?
I'm not a breeder, but we mentor a lot of students that are going through various online programs - and some that aren't going through programs if we catch them before they write that really big check!! So yeah, it happens a lot I think. Oh...to be able to give up the saltmine and play with goldens all day...

Actually...just my goldens :)

Erica

·
Premium Member
16,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
There's a lab breeder here, with a fantastic reputation as a breeder and dog trainer. Her name is Frances Plessner and she's from Puddleduck Labs. If Tango's elbows had been better, Frances would have handled her field training. I wonder if she would do an internship with me or if its better to get the CPDT certification? http://puddleduckretrievers.com/labs/index.cfm. There's also a lab breeder who works with goldens, the Cawoods at Marathana http://www.maranathakennels.com/INDEX.html. I am not aware of a golden breeder who does anything like this in my area. There is a golden group we work with but that's all motivated amatuer;s with serious other jobs.

Since Kim Trafton picked up and moved to Georgia and our favorite dog training center, Happy Tails, is in the process of closing, there's a hole for goldens. Tally did his field training with a lab group 30 minutes away, but I have to steal myself against "hilarious" comments about how he's 1) Amish(ask Tippykayak, it took me 6 entire months to understand what was meant by this) and 2) A FLUFFY. My friend Liz is a CPDT with a successful farm(Tree Frog Farm), but she focuses more on aussies, border collies, and agility, as well as puppy/family dog training. There's only one handling class available, by an AKC judge who raises dobermans. I helped teach a CGC class this fall, which I loved. . .

Maybe I should stick with teaching Death Of A Salesman in the fall and Hamlet in the spring. . .

·
Premium Member
16,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not a breeder, but we mentor a lot of students that are going through various online programs - and some that aren't going through programs if we catch them before they write that really big check!! So yeah, it happens a lot I think. Oh...to be able to give up the saltmine and play with goldens all day...

Actually...just my goldens :)

Erica
If you catch them before they write the big check, what do you do with them???

·
Premium Member
16,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sure. That's how I started in dog training.

Find a good breeder, express your interest in learning everything about the breed, showing, grooming, etc. They are often happy to have the help! You'll be a "bucket bitch" but you'll learn an awful lot along the way!
Would you mind telling your story? Did you always know you wanted to train dogs and how did you chose the person who mentored you?

Being Bucket Bitch sounds awesome, and no more grading 25 page papers on Lady Macbeth!

·
Premium Member
16,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good Morning, Kimm. You're up early too. I would be very grateful if your friend would talk to me.

·
Jester & Piper's Mom
3,325 Posts
I'm so glad you asked this question. I've had similar thoughts and yearnings a lot recently myself. My business is so slow right now it is giving me a lot of time to dream about what I really want to do when I grow up ;). Working with dogs...especially goldens...would be a dream come true.

·
Premium Member
16,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm glad to get the forum's feedback on this subject. Here in Maine, it seems that lots of dog trainers come and go. We have a core group of trusted trainers(We do Rally with Shannan, CGC with Teri, Puppy training with Liz, Field work with June etc), and they are very skeptical about people who appear on the scene calling themselves "dog trainers", so I want to avoid being one of those! I was passionate about teaching English and writing all through my twenties and thirties, but the thrill has just waned kind of naturally. I find that I have been babysitting about 6 dogs a year for friends/neighbors, training/housebreaking one puppy at a time for a local golden breeder, and letting Tally be a "demo" dog for obedience classes. I wonder how much of a shift it would be to formalize it a bit?

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
If you catch them before they write the big check, what do you do with them???
LOL - the same thing we'd do if we caught them after they write the big check ;-)

There are some programs out there that are churning out paper certificates not suitable for taking on a camping trip (if you get my jist). They are super expensive usually marketed as "learn at your own pace" and IMO they are taking advantage of young hopeful women (haven't had a man come through the program in our area) who have these ideals about what a career in dogs would be and that this program will magically get them. What we see is a lack of understanding in basic canine behavior, when they come into the mentorship program they have completed the program (except for the apprenticeship) - they have dogs that can't sit on cue - seriously? After 12-24 months of "training" you can't teach your dog to sit? Yet you are in theory six weeks away from being certified to train other people's dogs?

None of our students have passed on their first apprenticeship rotation - and no, we don't charge them for the mentoring program - so we have no incentive to not pass them. Most of them go through auditing/working their dogs through 2 of our 6 week sessions before they "get it" and then we'll give them pieces of the class to teach. We've found in a lot of cases that when it comes down to it they don't want to stand up in front of people and teach...

This "college" puts out a 6 week timeline for apprenticeship and we've found it usually takes them 6 months to get through...There are places (in other areas of the country) that charge these student for the 6 week program - usually 6 sessions/one night a week - and further crank them out of the certificate program...I suppose if they are charging them for the apprenticeship there is more expectation that they pass? I can't imagine that they are getting more qualified students than we are...

Erica

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
Are you part of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers, Erica? If not, what do you think of the association?
I'm not - the dog thing is sort of my "other job" - I'm just a passionate volunteer :)

I haven't paid a lot of attention to the APDT certification program - so I don't know what is involved with their certification programs - I know that the "college" I referred to above can be used as a pre-requisite for one of their certs. APDT has a nice rally titling program - or so I've heard - there aren't APDT rally trials around here (within 5 hours) and anything further just isn't worth my while for rally :) Too many other balls in the air.

I've briefly looked into NADOI (North American Dog Obedience Instructors) but it's more time than I have right now (I'm in the process of renewing my professional IT certifications) and I'm not sure it'd make me any more or less qualified to help people with their dogs...

I am an AKC CGC and star puppy evaluator - and I'm working (slowly) my way towards a rally judge license..not sure how far that will go - If I'm at a trial for the weekend I'd rather be playing with my own dogs...but...never say never.

Erica

1 - 20 of 25 Posts