Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Because they can - there is only one company making Apple products, while multiple companies make Windows/Linux-based PCs. You can even obtain parts and build your own PC.
However, my laptop (PC) was more expensive than my daughter's Mac laptop. But I also have a solid state hard drive, a touchscreen, more memory and so on.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Depends what you need it for. If your just word processing or programs that take up less memory look at both PC and MAC, if your doing graphics---no matter what my PC friends say...MAC.

and yes, because I think they are better as well. :wave:

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
They are more expensive than some PC laptops, but I love my macbook and I am never going back. A lot of my friends at school have PC's and they always complain about viruses and crashing, which never happens to Macs. I've had my Macbook for 4 years now and never had much of a problem with it.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I've had my Macbook for almost a year and never even had it freeze up on me. I love it and will never look back. I figured by the time I was done buying a pc once every year or two the Macbook is totally worth it since it won't need to be replaced annually.

·
Registered
19 Posts
On my second MacBook Pro because my husband took over my first one. He has pc from work. I've had for 3 years and not one problem. We do a lot of photos and the Mac is better for that. Worth the $$$.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
We stopped buying pc's and switched to an iMac. I agree with everyone else. They simply work. The only programs I am not fond of on the Mac are Microsoft programs. My kids wanted them because they use them at school, and did not like having to use Open Office. Definitely worth the extra money.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
They're more expensive because Apple doesn't make a low-end, stripped down laptop. So they really don't make a laptop that competes in the sub-$1000 category.

If you compare an Apple laptop to a PC laptop with exactly the same features, it's probably only slightly more expensive. And then you should take into account that the Apple laptop comes with lots of useful software (iPhoto, Garageband, etc.). And the Apple laptops are currently much more durable than some of the PCs. The rigid aluminum cases allow for thinner, stronger computers.

·
Kate
21,663 Posts
Unless you are buying a computer you plan to use for the next 5 or 6 + years.... you are buying the Apple name. :)

If you like buying a new computer every couple years, it's probably not going to be for you.

ETA - I'm fine with PC's if it saves me money in the long run. My old computer is about 6 years old, runs smoothly and is pretty fast still - this despite a few years of being manhandled by my dog and dropped on a tile floor by me. As is my current little computer which was built even more solidly. I do know people who probably SHOULD buy macs simply because they just have to touch their computers to get viruses on them (DAD!).

·
Dexter's Mom aka Kristin
625 Posts
I am on my second Apple computer. My first macbook was in good condition, and worked well. I put it through heck. I dropped it from about 3 or 4 ft..solid drop..and it still worked. I was shocked. The screen didn't crack..worked like a charm. It got stepped on and the screen had to be replaced. THEN when I got Dexter..he was probably 8 or 9 weeks old..asleep on my..bed and started sliding between the footboard and mattress. I didn't want him to fall, so I jumped up to catch him and there went my computer..onto the floor..and that was it. It would turn on, but I couldn't see the screen. It was already 3 years old at the time..and I wanted the new MacBook Pro. I probably could've gotten my macbook fixed, and I still have it so I am sure I could still get it fixed..but I wanted the aluminum computer because the plastic COULD have lasted longer IMO. I have thoroughly having an aluminum computer rather than plastic. No viruses, as fast today as the day I got it, in excellent condition, I've seen Dexter step on it a time or two :)mad:) and it hasn't even phased it.

I am tough on my computers, and thankfully these seem to hold up to my tests. I am an Apple user all around. iPhone, Macbook, Macbook Pro, iPad, iPod touch..all have been excellent products. They are worth the money you spend initially.

Safe to say, I will probably never buy another PC for myself.

·
& Sawyer's & Quinn's too!
2,740 Posts
I agree with everyone else - They are just better. They are made better. You can FEEL the difference in using them. They are much faster and don't freeze up. The operating system does not allow "creeping" software/viruses onto the hard drive - you are prompted to enter a password any time something is trying to "get on" your computer. It makes a huge difference. You also don't have to buy anti-virus software for a Mac, so that saves a lot of money in the long run. I had an HP laptop for grad school that crashed after 13 months of use. My MacBook Pro is phenomenal and I will never ever go back!

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've had a MacBook for 5 years - finally gave it to my husband last year after having replaced the battery and charger. It's been all over the place and the white plastic case developed a small crack. Not to worry - my husband doesn't take it anywhere and it will happily spend the rest of its life on a desk. It's still a fine computer, though. I traded up to a 13" MacBook Pro, which I love.

I also have a Dell Latitude which I use primarily for finances - Quicken hasn't yet come up with a product that will seamlessly transfer the data in splits from a PC to a Mac. Major advantages to the Mac: practically no start-up time, they GENERALLY don't get viruses, don't blue screen. It's more intuitive (to me), and is easier to use with an iPod and iPhone, both of which I have. A downside is that Apple doesn't have as many authorized service centers - tough if you live in a rural area.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Cause Apple is the king of marketing. How else would they get people to pay twice as much for outdated hardware???

=)

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
If you want a deal on a Mac, look on the Apple Store site for Refurbished Macs. The refurbished MacBook (cheapest model, white plastic case) I'm using is almost 4 years old and has never given me problems, though I admit to being ready for a new one with more RAM. Its predecessor was also a refurbished model that ran well for about 5 years. I recommend getting the extended warranty for a refurbished machine, but it's a good idea even for a new one.

Is the aluminum frame better? Dunno, but at least they don't crack. I once dropped an aluminum frame PowerBook so that it landed on one corner, bending the case and creating a gap for dust to get inside. The machine continued to work just fine for years, despite the ugly warping.

·
Pippa and Watson’s mom
611 Posts
When my two older daughters graduated from high school, we gave them Macs and told them that if they needed a new computer before they graduated from college, they'd have to pay for it themselves. Four years later, those computers were still ticking.

My youngest daughter, however, didn't want a Mac when she graduated from high school. So she got another PC--and then went through THREE MORE in the next four years. Guess what she wanted for her college graduation present? Yup--a Mac :D

·
Registered
504 Posts
As much as I dislike MAC's they are good computers and for the simple everyday tasks and doing homework, surfing the web and watching movies they will never let you down.

I am a tinker and like to customize things and make it mine which is something I have loved about Windows 7. To date it has been extremely reliable and incredibly fast.

PC's are usually given a bad rep cause you do have to be a little more user savvy and careful in how and what you do with them. I have have had a couple random bugs on mine machines over the past years but it usually could always be traced back to me doing something stupid (shouldn't have visited that site, never opened that email, deleted that file etc..)

My wife has a MAC Book Pro and loves it, it does what she needs it to do, nothing less nothing more LOL

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I am a PC/Android person. I love the logical way they work.

We used a Mac for work - I hated it. It was not logical in how it worked. Granted, that was 17 years ago, but it soured me on Mac.

I bet my laptop is up and running before your Mac - the solid state drive is amazing. Though iPhoto is quick, it is nothing compared to PhotoShop. My touchscreen is better than an iPad because I have access to all of my software - and lots of USB ports.

My daughter has a Mac, iPad, iPhone and iTouch. She is happy.
I have a PC and Android phone - my two can do all that she can do, with the exception of a few apps on her phone. I am happy and I have way less invested.

Viruses targeting Apple products are increasing as the number of user increases. You have to be cautious in what you access and download and open, no matter what you use.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I am a PC/Android person. I love the logical way they work.

We used a Mac for work - I hated it. It was not logical in how it worked. Granted, that was 17 years ago, but it soured me on Mac.
It's a totally different OS now. That would be like comparing a modern day Mac to something running Windows 3.

I bet my laptop is up and running before your Mac - the solid state drive is amazing.
The Mac laptops now come with solid state drive options if you want them. And they boot amazingly fast.

Though iPhoto is quick, it is nothing compared to PhotoShop.
They're two entirely different things. iPhoto comes with your Mac and is for organizing and minor editing. Photoshop costs hundreds of dollars (or $50+ for the light version) and is for photo manipulation. Apples and oranges (hardy har har).

1 - 20 of 55 Posts