Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh my goodness....scared the you know what out of me.

It was 2 below as the temp this morning - 22 below with the windchill...

Of course it's morning - so I take Apple out to do her thing. We got in the snow (I mean yard :curtain:) and she coudln't even stand! She kept holding up her paws...taking a few steps - then laying down!!

I was out for maybe 3 minutes with her - and brought her back in - I couldn't carry her so I just nudged her along.:(

We tried it again - because I knew she had to go - #1 & #2. After AN HOUR of back and forth, in and out, she finally pooped...in the street. Which I was ok with...easy enought to pick up.

What am I going to do ALL winter with her if she can't handle extreme cold?? I will buy mushers to help her feet - but not sure if that will help - maybe i can buy 'shoes' for her??

Anyway - freaked me out - poor girl!!! Throughout the day today she didn't even want to go outside to potty. The other day she was loving the snow - now she HATES the cold.

UGH! Maybe it's just because it's her first winter? She doesn't know that she has to be quick - in and out - done???

Any suggestions??

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
She sounds like me! LOL

I would try some booties for her. I can't imagine how cold it feels on the bottom of her feet. Your description sounds so precious. Collapsing so that her feet wouldn't be cold.

·
now Mom to Kiwi
2,785 Posts
sounds like she may need some dog boots. It's really cold here the last few days and Maddie was holding up her feet briefly yesterday while on our walk which means it's time to dig out the dog boots.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
It's all in what they get used to. Mine dove through the snow with relish at 5 degrees today (with a wicked wind). She is just not used to it. Take her for a walk and act like you enjoy it :). Only the salt from the streets is bad for them. She can learn to live with it if she follows your lead.

And did you shovel a path in the backyard (poop alley we call it) so she can do her business without setting her butt in the snow? Very important.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I kind of wish Flora was like that. She is CONSTANTLY begging me to go outside so she can play in the snow. It's getting annoying!

·
Went Rogue...
599 Posts
I kind of wish Flora was like that. She is CONSTANTLY begging me to go outside so she can play in the snow. It's getting annoying!
Same story here with Piper and it's been as cold as -21F!! This morning was only -15F, LOL. Heat wave!!

Luckily we have snow coming in (it has been crystal clear, hence the arctic temps) so it should warm up and then the four girls can go play for a good amount of time.

I'm guessing that Apple will get used to the temps (and they won't always be that cold) so things will work out for you and her. :crossfing

·
and Miss Riley and Jake
686 Posts
Don't feel too bad. We had a similiar situation here with Jake.

Sounds like you did fine by exposing her to brief periods of the cold. I talk to ours, encouraging them to keep moving and looking for that right spot.

It's our first bout with zero temps and below zero wind chills. Hopefully there will not be many more.:uhoh: Hang in there. She may tolerate a little more of the bitter cold as the winter passes, but regardless of that, I have no intention of keeping ours out for any longer than is necessary. In these conditions they do not need to be out for long periods.......and neither should you.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Twister (our JRT) has that problem we call it "frozen feet". He gets out there and dilly dallies then his feet get cold before he does his business. Then he just stands there lifting one foot, then the other and looking miserable. We end up picking him up and carrying him in the house where he immediately jumps on the couch and under his blanket. As soon as his feet warm up, he realizes he still needs to go potty!:doh: The vicious cycle starts all over again. Yes, it is going to be another long winter.

Attachments

·
Went Rogue...
599 Posts
If you are looking for botties that will last - try www.Ruffwear.com
We have the Ruffwear "Bark'n Boots™ Grip Trex™ and they are well constructed. My biggest gripe is that they are made in China (I didn't realize it until Emma had used them a couple of times - my fault) and I'm really trying to buy American as much as possible.

·
Ripley & Levi's too!!
720 Posts
Montana gets like that once in a while. I always shovel a spot for him in the yard so he's not in the deep snow and he does fine and I will trim the hair on the bottom of his feet so the snow doesn't stick to his paws causing him to lift paw and fall over.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm glad Apple's not the only 'frozen footer' around!! She has gotten a little better with the cold - but then again it's really warmed up! A whopping 17 degrees! :)

I have ordered the musher's secret and thank you for the help with the dog booties...I can just see it now - my golden walking like a prancing horse - wondering what these things are on her feet!!:doh:

happy winter to all goldens out there...may it be short and *warm*!! :crossfing

1 - 13 of 13 Posts