Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Duffy Bear's mama
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone on here has used or currently uses ACV (Apple cider vinegar) for their pup? I'm still looking for natural flea prevention, and I've read that ACV is amazing. I've done hours of reading up on it. It can be given in their water/food or used diluted as a rinse after their bath or as a diluted spray once a week or so to prevent. I saw a small black bug near Duffys back legs/butt and I'm considering trying the ACV rinse today after a bath to hopefully curb this potential flea intruder. Any input is welcome and appreciated! I've decided to firmly put my foot down to topical and oral chemical treatment.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,632 Posts
I use Organic Apple Cider vinegar by Bragg.

Here's a link to their website about using it for pets-

Bragg Live Foods, Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar, Bragg Liquid Aminos,Systemic Enzymes, Bragg Live Organic Food Products, Patricia Bragg, Paul Bragg, Bragg Organic Olive Oil, Bragg Salad Dressings, Bragg Seasonings, Bragg Health Products

I add it to my boy's water, I have a spray bottle of it, 50/50 mix of OACV with water, spray it on my boy before brushing him out.

A lot of members use it, if you do a search there are several threads that will come up you can read through.

·
Duffy Bear's mama
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perfect. That is the brand that I have come across the most suggestions to use. I plan to go to Whole Foods here shortly and pick some up. I've not found one article about any adverse reactions, however, I have read that some dogs can be sensitive to it. I guess I'd rather give him another bath if he starts itching than face major reactions to topicals, etc. I'm driving myself insane trying to do the very best and safest thing for him.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,632 Posts
It will help keep bugs off your dog when you're outside such as mosquitoes or gnats, but it's not a flea repellant. I have my boy on Nexgard for fleas.

You may want to dilute it with water before rinsing him in it before using it the first time.

·
Ingrid, Now Mom to Brisby
1,111 Posts
Brewers Yeast, Garlic and Linoleic acid has worked well for us for a number of years. Brisby will not take ACV in any form unless I pour it down her throat!!

Here is the one I order:

NaturVet Brewer's Yeast & Garlic with Linoleic (5000 tables)

You may combine the ACV with these tabs if that is a route you consider.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,632 Posts
I've tried Brewer's yeast and Garlic tablets before, they did not work at all.

The area I live in is too warm and humid, we have a very short winter. Sometimes it doesn't get cold enough to kill off the bugs. I have to keep my boy on HW meds year round and have to give flea preventative about 9-10 months each year.

If you live in the Northern US States or in Canada, you may be able to get by with it, but not in the Southern part of the US.

·
Duffy Bear's mama
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yaichi's Mom I remember you linked that to another post I made. You also linked a great article about the chemicals etc, in topicals and orals and it was a great read!

My concern with those tabs - I've read up that garlic is bad for dogs? And that Brewers yeast is not ideal although there is some Brewers yeast in his Fromm Heartland Gold food. Have you had any issues with using the garlic supplement or do you know anything about if it's safe in those doses? Has your baby been flea free on it?

·
Duffy Bear's mama
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live in south Florida :( I have Duffy one Heartgard Plus and will keep him on that year round. But I'm determined to find a natural flea routine.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,632 Posts
I hope you're able to find a natural alternative, I certainly will be interested in it if you do and how it works.

I think I have tired everything unless there's something new out on the market.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,632 Posts
I don't know what cleaning products you use in your home, but I switched several years ago to using mainly white vinegar, especially when I mop my floors

We stopped putting any type of weed/feed and bug repellant on our yard too.
A lot members use Diatomaceous Earth to control or kill bugs.

I lived in several Southern States, bugs in the South are really bad, they're huge too.
I've never lived in FL, but have spent time there, bugs are worse in your area than mine, but they're bad enough here.

·
Ingrid, Now Mom to Brisby
1,111 Posts
Yaichi's Mom I remember you linked that to another post I made. You also linked a great article about the chemicals etc, in topicals and orals and it was a great read!

My concern with those tabs - I've read up that garlic is bad for dogs? And that Brewers yeast is not ideal although there is some Brewers yeast in his Fromm Heartland Gold food. Have you had any issues with using the garlic supplement or do you know anything about if it's safe in those doses? Has your baby been flea free on it?
Yes, Brisby has been flea free, as well as tick free ( no ticks last year, 3 ticks the year before). We hike in the bush everyday and meet many dogs on route.

As Carolina Mom stated above, I am in southern Ontario Canada, therefore the climate here is much different than yours in the southern US.

There are many opinions out there on garlic for dogs. From all that I have read, garlic is safe unless it is given in gargantuan quantities.
Garlic for Dogs | Is Garlic Safe for Dogs?

Brisby just had a full blood panel done and her results were excellent. I have been giving her these tabs now for 3 years.

That said, my homeopathic vet ( student of Dr Richard Pitcairn) recommends a product Tickz sold as "My Best Friend" in Canada.

I just ordered 2 bottles of this and will be migrating Brisby from the Brewers yeast tabs to this shortly.

I also apply tea tree oil to her collar daily when we go out hiking. Rose Geranium oil is another good one to use...NOT on the dog's skin, but on the collar, harness.

You can also make a blend of essential oils as a spray to add to your arsenal against these perky parasites.

·
Duffy Bear's mama
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used to use Clorox and Lysol and the common ones and have switched to vinegar also. I've read ACV can be sprayed on baseboards to help deter pests also. Have you heard about the nematodes that can be added to the yard and they feast on fleas and other bugs and keep your yard pest free??

·
Duffy Bear's mama
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, Brisby has been flea free, as well as tick free ( no ticks last year, 3 ticks the year before). We hike in the bush everyday and meet many dogs on route.

As Carolina Mom stated above, I am in southern Ontario Canada, therefore the climate here is much different than yours in the southern US.

There are many opinions out there on garlic for dogs. From all that I have read, garlic is safe unless it is given in gargantuan quantities.
Garlic for Dogs | Is Garlic Safe for Dogs?

Brisby just had a full blood panel done and her results were excellent. I have been giving her these tabs now for 3 years.

That said, my homeopathic vet ( student of Dr Richard Pitcairn) recommends a product Tickz sold as "My Best Friend" in Canada.

I just ordered 2 bottles of this and will be migrating Brisby from the Brewers yeast tabs to this shortly.

I also apply tea tree oil to her collar daily when we go out hiking. Rose Geranium oil is another good one to use...NOT on the dog's skin, but on the collar, harness.

You can also make a blend of essential oils as a spray to add to your arsenal against these perky parasites.
Yaichi's Mom I like the reviews on Tickz, I think I will go get some of the Braggs ACV today to start and go ahead and order the Tickz to try.

Does anyone know the correct way to use DE? Some say it's safe to put on the dogs and rub into their skin and some say not to. Is it safe to dust around my house and in my yard?

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Does anyone know the correct way to use DE? Some say it's safe to put on the dogs and rub into their skin and some say not to. Is it safe to dust around my house and in my yard?
The links below will tell you all you ever wanted to know about DE. The first link is a general FYI and the second goes into great detail about using it for fleas. There is also a link to a 30 minute podcast discussion of it in the first link.

Diatomaceous Earth (food grade): Bug Killer You Can Eat!

Die Fleas! Die! Die! Die! Freaky Cheap Flea Control

I think most people give up on it because it can be messy and needs to be used often at first but it does work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts