Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Loving memory of Phoebe
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our English Cream just turned 5 - we've had him 3 years now - and has had ongoing skin issues (Florida - but not for long).
The Golden we had before him was on Cyclosporine, but somewhere along the way we moved over to Apoquel.

He's done OK on it - but after just going through a full month of it (expensive!) he's still not cleared up. The stubborn/beginning parts of his issues seem to be his front underarms and chest.
He doesn't get really red staph infections from skin problems like our previous golden, so it's hard to see sometimes.

Anyway, I've seen mention of Claritin (not D) as one possible extra thing to do. I can get him another refill of Apoquel but it seems to have slowed down on clearing him up so any other ideas would be great. Thx!

·
Super Moderator
1,193 Posts
Have only used Apoquel short term and it was very effective for clearing up Oscar's itches. Apoquel is linked to compromising of the auto-immune system which is particularly problematic for goldens. So... If it isn't working I would certainly D/C it and look for other options. What do you and your vet think is causing the problem? Is there something in your home (carpets, bedding, etc.) that could be the cause? Could it be connected to diet? Have you used such options as Salmon Oil as a more homeopathic choice? Interested in your thoughts on this

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I used Apoquel for my Golden, Luke, and it worked great in clearing up his allergies. I hated using it due to the compromised auto-immune system. It became a quality of life type thing for Luke. They also gave him, when allergies were really bad, Cytopoint injections along with him taking Apoquel.

Before I started Apoquel, I took Luke to a dermatologist in Charleston, S.C. and she did the allergy testing on him and basically said he was allergic to many, many things in the environment. Also, his strongest allergic reaction was to wool, so I get rid of all our wool carpet and made sure not to wear it. We tried immunotherapy for two years and it helped, but not nearly enough and then we moved on to Apoquel.

·
Loving memory of Phoebe
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks - as mentioned (implied only, sorry) FLORIDA is the problem. It's just nasty in many regards. But the good news is we are moving out of here soon! Our house is only 2 years old with lots of hardwood and not anything that could cause allergies.... it's purely the outdoors.

His diet improved after we switched to Science Diet Adult Lamb/Rice after he went through a course of bad runs on Sam's Club Exceed. We threw that food out and never looked back. He gets bathed every few weeks or so - Adams Flea/Tick shampoo - and he is also on Trifexis.

The points about Apoquel are noted - it's one big reason I don't want him to be on it eternally. Looking for alternatives.

·
Loving memory of Phoebe
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again all - turns out he had an infection and the scaly skin were scabs. It's almost impossible to see on him being English Cream - he doesn't get redness like my previous female gold/red/goldens - and as the vet noted - by the time he starts scratching - he already has the infection. We'll be cleared up soon and getting out of Florida.... :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts