Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Georgia couldn't have cared less about the noise that came with last nights festivities. And that almost has me worried...she is being treated for an ear infection (though this is day 10 and we will stop the meds today) and while I sometimes question her listening skills, I thought she heard just fine...at least the words "treat" and "ball" and "let's go running/swimming..." are perfectly understood even from 3 rooms away.
Are there any other dogs that are not troubled by the fireworks?
:confused:

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Danny barked, but only because with the windows closed up and the TV on, some of the fireworks sounded somewhat like a car door closing (and I had closed the blinds). So I opened the blinds so he could see out and he stopped barking. Jasper actually went and laid in the entryway during them. Jasmine was the only one sort of stressed, but she even calmed down. Both Jasmine and Jasper had melatonin in them.

Danny did ask to go out while they were going off, I think he wanted to know what the noise was. I opened the door and stepped outside, he followed me and then turned around and went right back into the house. LOL

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Liberty and Trace were on alert for a few minutes....but then laid down on their sides... Lexi made a bee-line for the crate and was glad when they were over.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
One of my was saying "Bird?!!!" every time he heard a noise. He was also confused about why the other two were distressed (...a new thing....we'll work on for next year!).

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
thankfully Katie nor Paddy are bothered at all by fireworks or thunderstorms! I've heard the horror stories, but have never had any issues at all with these two.

·
2 goldens and a BMD
841 Posts
Mine were mostly unfazed. I think they eventually decided I was being mean because after that much "gunfire," there had to be some birds or bumpers in it for them ;-)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Dodger didn't even seem to notice them this time around. On Victoria Day we were in the back yard and there were fireworks going off in the distance. I held his front paws up so he could stand tall enough to see them and he watched curiously for a minute. Then someone set one off on the street behind mine and the whole sky right above us expoded in a big cloud of red fireworks and Dodger decided that it was time to go inside. My roommate's border collie, on the other hand, decided the best course of action would be to hide under a chair in the basement.

·
Chelsea
842 Posts
Sadie didnt care at all. Though I did bring her in the house since the ending ones were loud and I was worried about her ears.

·
Griff's a Muffin Thief!
3,165 Posts
Count your lucky stars that she was not troubled.

Jake was never bothered by them, in fact we used to bring him with us to go see them!

Griff was acting squirrelly last night. Something happened back in May, we were not home for the evening and the next door neighbors had a party. Either they were setting off crackers or the music speakers were turned up full throttle. Whatever happened, he's not the same.

On a whim I brought him outside last night during all the noise and he was actually better. We played a bit and he actually rolled around on the ground happily. Some parts of the night he was sticking his head in the corners and scratching at the carpet. ugh! I need to desensitize this boy!

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Maggie was home alone, so I can't be sure, but, we live near Nationals Stadium and they set off fireworks every time they hit a home run and for the games they win, so, Maggie is used to it by now.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Mr. C wasn't bothered by the fireworks which surprised me because he has a very long list of other things he is afraid of.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,057 Posts
Mine slept through the whole fireworks display here and then slept through a thunderstorm.......

·
where the tails wag
13,359 Posts
Casey is the only dog, golden or other, who is bothered by fireworks and then only by those really obnoxious canon type monsters.

·
16,000 Posts
I currently have no dogs who are bothered by either fireworks, gunshots, or thunder. (Thunderphobia often doesn't appear until a dog is age 5 or older.)

·
Mary
170 Posts
Tucker was actually trying to chase the bottle rockets my husband was shooting off at our party last night! It got to the point that I had to take him home for his safety! LOL.
We also had to take my brother's three year old chocolate lab home because he's scared of the fireworks, and has always been afraid of them. He was whining really bad. So both dogs went to my house (a whole 5 blocks away) with the air conditioner cranked (it was 94 yesterday!) and the radio full blast. I came up to check on them, and I didn't hear a peep.
The night before the 4th, we went to a party at a friends house, and he puts on a MASSIVE fireworks display. Another couple had their 7 month old golden there, and he was terrified, to the point that he was physically shaking. They had to medicate the poor pup because he was SO scared. I'm glad I don't have to worry about that. Of course, I'm sure their constant reassurance that everything was okay didn't help matters for the dog, either.

·
Gracie's Mommy
101 Posts
Gracie did well, she is usually ok with thunder also. Unless its an all of a sudden boom. The only time it bothered her last night is when I took her out to pee. She was on alert the entire time, but she didnt pull or try to run like I had expected. I just talk to her to keep her distracted so she could finish her business.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
(Thunderphobia often doesn't appear until a dog is age 5 or older.)
Or if lightening hits a tree right above you. LOL. That's what happened to Jasper. Funny thing is, Danny and Jasmine were there, too. Jasmine was thunderphobic prior to that happening and Danny must have been oblivious.

·
Lubbin mi prends!
9,148 Posts
Lilly didn't care - slept really well throughout the night, as usual.

We did "firework socialization" last year, when she was really little and it seemed to work. She is not really afraid of loud noises in general.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts