Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you let your goldens in the pool?
We are thinking about getting a pool, and vinyl seems to fit all of my needs, except for Murphy. I am hearing conflicting stories about vinyl pools and dogs. Some people say that they let their dogs in with no problems. Others tell stories about their dogs tearing the lining.
For those of you that don't know, Murphy is being trained as a service dog for our son. (and doing very well, considering that several trainers told us that he could not be a pet AND a service dog. I guess my Murphy is just exceptional. ;))
Anywho, I really want Murphy to be trained for retriever our son from water. I also want Murphy to be able to enjoy the pool with the rest of us. So, for those of you with vinyl pools.....what is your experience, advice, ect.?

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I would imagine if you kept the dog's nails nice and short it would be far less likely to do any damage.. I don't have any experience thought with vinyl pools so hopefully you get some answers from people who do! :)

·
Missing my Boys...
3,980 Posts
We have an above ground pool and three dogs, no problems at all. We got the pool when Dylan was 1 yr. old and he is now 12.
Good Luck, Goldens in general Love water.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have an inground pool with a vinyl liner. Molly has been swimming in it for 3 summers now, with no tears in the liner. As long as you train the dog to enter and exit the pool properly, you should have no issues. Clawing at the side is not a good thing. We have built in stairs that she's learned to use to exit the pool.

I don't know how you would do it with an above ground pool. Some folks have trained the dogs to use the ladder.

I have concrete on the pool deck so she wears her nails down running around on it. Good luck to you. Molly sure loves her swims & she's a blast to have with us in the water.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
We have an above ground vinyl pool and three dogs. There has not been any problem with their nails. We taught all of them where the ladder is and make sure they go to the ladder or steps to get out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts