Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to get my pup microchipped and I called my vet to find out which company they use. They use resQ. I have heard that some companies charge an annual fee to keep your info updated and some do not. Does anyone have experience with resQ? Is there an annual fee? Is it a good company to use?

·
Premium Member
18,458 Posts
Ronin has one. I know it's there :)
But did you register it with your contact info?

Dont forget to register it! so many times we get rescue dogs in, they have a chip but it was never registered!

·
luv my goldens
481 Posts
When I has Sierra Micro chipped that is the company my vet used. I haven't had to pay anything so far other than the price to have her microchipped.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I has Sierra Micro chipped that is the company my vet used. I haven't had to pay anything so far other than the price to have her microchipped.
Did they tell you if there was an annual fee? The person who answers the phone at my vet didn't know. My friend had a microchip company that wouldn't keep your information unless you paid an annual fee of about $20/year.

·
SunKissed Goldens
975 Posts
Is that the chip made by Bayer? If so, one of my dogs has one and it's migrated to his elbow... we are discussing having it removed.
All my other dogs have Home Again.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
One of my guys has a Home Again and another has Avid. I don't pay an annual fee for either.

Also, if you adopt a dog with a microchip in the name of the rescue, consider adding yourself as an additional contact, as well as your veterinarian. You pay a small fee for this but it's added security. Chances are you will answer a phone call and get your dog back faster than a rescue will since they rely on volunteers to man the hotlines. I know of at least one golden rescue that doesn't want their adopters to do this, but I think that is very shortsided. When I questioned them about that "prohibition", which is unenforceable anyway, they said it's in case an adopted dog comes back they don't want a bunch of contacts on the chip. That's just being lazy on the intake coordinators part. They should scan every dog for a chip and find out who is listed on it as due diligence. If they have to get a release to get the information off of the chip, so be it.

Good Morning America had a segment on today about the increase in dognapping. A microchip just might get the owner back with the dog in some cases.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is that the chip made by Bayer? If so, one of my dogs has one and it's migrated to his elbow... we are discussing having it removed.
All my other dogs have Home Again.
I just looked it up and it is the one made by Bayer. That is concerning. Have you read/heard anything that would indicate that this kind of microchip is more likely to migrate than other types?

I also found a website that says that microchips can cause tumors to form. :( Has anyone heard of this? Here is the site.

http://www.antichips.com/cancer/index.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts