Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be getting a female Dichi puppy on February 3. Dichi goldens are honey colored (like a jar of honey). Her parents are Chance and Skeeter.

I saw a suggestion on here for the name Penuche and thought she could be Dichi's Oh Fudge. But my husband shot that down.

We kind of like Lucy (like Lucille Ball) but she isn't a red golden, so is that weird?

I also thought of just calling her Honey but I don't know.

I suggested Tinkerbell, "Tink" for short (Dichi's Circle of Light or Dichi's a Sprinkle of Pixie Dust) but my husband is on the fence.

Anyone have any fun suggestions (maybe something to do with her parents' names or her coloring?) - open to anything!

Thanks!

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,720 Posts
I love Sprinkle of Pixie Dust.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We were thinking Annabelle but I don't like it shorted to Anna or Belle.

No theme litter.

I always wanted to name a daughter Sophie but then our friends named their cat Sophie.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
We were thinking Annabelle but I don't like it shorted to Anna or Belle.

No theme litter.

I always wanted to name a daughter Sophie but then our friends named their cat Sophie.
My nephew always wanted to name is first son Samuel and then I named my bridge boy Sam and that ended that.:)

My daughter's name is Noelle (pronounced Noel) and the Priest who baptized her thought it was Noel-ee, and baptized her Noel-ee. From that moment on, she became Noellie Bellie. SHe's 26 now and has graduated to Noelle Belle (Noel Belle):)

...Dichi's Chance at Glory- Glory ?
I'm kinda stuck at the moment.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I love the name Lucy and don't think it's weird that your golden won't be "red"! If you wanted something related to her color, you could call her Sunny (since rays of sun are typically portrayed as golden). Or, for another play on the word honey you could name her Winnie (like Winnie the Pooh, who loved honey, and even though he was a boy, Winnie was a girl on The Wonder Years).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Take this a coming from a native Californian. I like the name Poppy, as in golden poppy the state flower of California. When I get my golden she will be named Poppy, I have to keep up the flower theme for my dogs.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Take this a coming from a native Californian. I like the name Poppy, as in golden poppy the state flower of California. When I get my golden she will be named Poppy, I have to keep up the flower theme for my dogs.

Hmmm, I really like this! I think I had Pip/Pippy on my list but Poppy has a nice ring to it! Any suggestions for her fancy name? The breeder is Dichi so that has to be in it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What about "Poppy" - Dichi's Cup of Gold?

Spanish explorers called the beautiful flower copa de oro, "cup of gold" or sometimes dormidera, which means "the drowsy one" because the flowers close at dusk

·
Registered
253 Posts
I really like Poppy and Lucy. A friend of mine has a sweet dog named Lucy and I've always thought it was a good name for a pup, red or otherwise. And Poppy is cool.

Oh, and I obviously love the name Tinker Bell, because we're actually naming our pup (also bringing home in early Feb!) Tinker Bell. It's pretty funny thinking that there might be another female GR puppy, of approx. the same age as our puppy, with the same name!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really like Poppy and Lucy. A friend of mine has a sweet dog named Lucy and I've always thought it was a good name for a pup, red or otherwise. And Poppy is cool.

Oh, and I obviously love the name Tinker Bell, because we're actually naming our pup (also bringing home in early Feb!) Tinker Bell. It's pretty funny thinking that there might be another female GR puppy, of approx. the same age as our puppy, with the same name!

Congrats on your puppy :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
What about "Poppy" - Dichi's Cup of Gold?

Spanish explorers called the beautiful flower copa de oro, "cup of gold" or sometimes dormidera, which means "the drowsy one" because the flowers close at dusk
I don't think I can come up with anything better than this, however I would use the Spanish version, it seems to go better with Dichi.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you'd still like to stick near "honey", there are other words for it. "Melissa" and "dulcie/dulcet" both mean sweet/honey, and "meade" is an ancient honey wine. Then there's gold --in Spanish it's "dorado." Many names in many languages. I LOVE "Tink", but "Tinkerbell" lacks dignity and 1/3 of female GRs are named "Belle/Bella". Here are some other fairy names- Fantasy, Folklore, and Fairy Names

And while I'm boring you, I might as well have more fun. It's widely believed that the word "pixie" originated in SW England when populations of larger stature moved into Pictish lands. The tiny, clever, and quick Picts seemed part-magical!

Another thought --many sites with baby names and their meanings in various languages. Given her parent's names, Chance and Skeeter, maybe a name indicating that something wonderful emerged from those flighty two...?

http://www.20000-names.com/luck_names.htm I like LÍCIA: Short form of Hungarian Felícian, meaning "happy" or "lucky."
http://www.20000-names.com/female_italian_names.htm

·
Registered
253 Posts
It's true "Tinker Bell" is a tad on the silly, less dignified side, but we like it as part of a registered AKC name. Not a call name. We intend to call our dog Tink or Pixie.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oops. People snuck in when I was googling and now I sound harsh about Tinkerbell. Sorry, guys! Considering I call Bess "poopy-face" half the time, I'm no one to talk about dignity!! :doh:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ha ha! No offense taken at all. I completely agree with you that dogs need to have some dignity.
Dignity is sometimes hard to come by, though, when you have an opinionated four-year-old child who has put herself in charge of naming the puppy! Luckily, we can agree to pretty much anything she likes so long as it's used as the registered name and not the call name. :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ha ha! No offense taken at all. I completely agree with you that dogs need to have some dignity.
Dignity is sometimes hard to come by, though, when you have an opinionated four-year-old child who has put herself in charge of naming the puppy! Luckily, we can agree to pretty much anything she likes so long as it's used as the registered name and not the call name. :)
Ha, we have a 4.5 year old and luckily he has not started suggesting names yet - I can only imagine!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Cute--We'll have puppies and kids the same age!!

Our daughter is all about suggesting names because, as she reminds us constantly, this is "her puppy." We'll just be playing supporting roles, apparently . . .

1 - 20 of 50 Posts