Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was gathering eggs tonight I came to the sad conclusion that I have too many chickens. My youngsters from last year have come into full production now and I just figured out who my egg-eater was (one of the "old" hens). I'm getting nearly 1.5 dozen eggs EVERY DAY! Before the great cat massacre of 2011 I had a few people I sold eggs to but, to be honest, it was kind of a pain in the bum so I have no desire to start that up again. I might sell a dozen to a friend every now and then, but I don't want to do it regularly. And the dogs and I can only eat so many eggs! So that means I either feed extra chickens and throw out the excess eggs or I get rid of some of the chickens. With chicken feed being around $30 per 100 pounds now, I think my only choice is to sell some. Maybe this weekend I can sort through the chickens and pick out my favorite dozen or so. At least it shouldn't be too terribly hard to sell 20 or so young purebred hens just coming into lay.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have wanted to have chickens for awhile now. I have researched how to raise, feed and care for them. I think it would be a wonderful experience for my girls. I'm really thinking about getting some baby chicks in early spring. If only i lived closer to you...

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Owning backyard hens is now one of the cool things for some of the "greener" families here in Dallas. It's a great way for parents to teach children responsibility and respect for the land and their food. One of my alley neighbors has a backyard coup, and you'd never know it! I only wish my yard were bigger! Good luck thinning your chickens!!

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
We are lucky. Have a family by our country place that also gets more eggs than they need. We save our egg cartons and give them to the family in return for eggs! No better cooking than with fresh eggs! Can't wait to move there perm. and get a few chickens again.

I remember when we had our chickens. I was always taking eggs to my co-workers. We had too many hens too. Made pets out of a few of them.. haa!

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Wish we lived close and I had the yard for them. I remember my daughter had chickens when she lived in Nevada that laid the pretties blue/green eggs. No need for Easter dye.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
My business partner Teri has been reading chicken magazines and want them so badly! Is it possible to ship chickens?

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Dang I wish I was closer. I would love to have more chickens. Mine are geting old and do not lay that much anymore. This year I should buy some young chicks instead of taking in all the ones that nobody wants anymore.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Is there a food pantry or a church that could use/distribute eggs?

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
I can sooooo see Teri keeping chickens!
My business partner Teri has been reading chicken magazines and want them so badly! Is it possible to ship chickens?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's really expensive to ship adults, but all my baby poultry comes in the mail! The postal workers always get a kick out of it!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
It's really expensive to ship adults, but all my baby poultry comes in the mail! The postal workers always get a kick out of it!
I remember getting a call from my hubby one day while he was on the airport tarmac inspecting the belly of a plane, saying there were tons of little chicks and ducklings on board. I wish he took photos. He's under standing orders to take photos of all golden retrievers he encounters on his trips. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts