Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just Behaving Goldens in Rowley, MA...Heidi Harris and Dan Roach. Anyone know anything, good or bad, about them in terms of breeders?

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
They don't seem to list registered names or any clearances - huge red flag. If you are interested I would suggest you ask for that information. Also concerns me that they have puppies for sale and a lot of litters posted - why aren't they taking names and planning a litter? The stud dogs seem to be owned by them as well, it's not that often that the perfect match is in the backyard. The dogs don't impress me as far as looks or anything goes, not bad looking goldens but I would ask what they are breeding for - show, working, pet, what are they looking to improve and so on. They hint at field but I don't see one picture of a dog with a bird, just some pictures of guys in camo hunting gear (they could be deerhunting with nothing to do with the dogs). What I see is they just breed their dogs to sell the puppies, without a lot of thought into the whole thing. If you look at their contract, they only give a 14 DAY guarantee (giant neon red flag!!!) and their only policy is that you return the dog to them. They will not cover any vet expenses related to poor breeding or otherwise.

The training - I don't like seeing 'no treat' training. Goldens tend to be very food motivated, and positive training works so much better. If they are not using food as a reward, what are they using? Is the training correction based (often I find the 'no food' trainers use harsh corrective methods)? If you get a puppy from them is it manditory to then pay for the training? Is that what you'd be comfortable doing? What if the training style doesn't work for your lifestyle (some insist you NEVER give the dog a cookie)?

Their training contract says enough:

Dog training is inherently dangerous. The style of dog training I am agreeing to requires my dog be exposed to numerous dangerous situations. I agree and give permission for my dog to participate in this training with the understanding that injuries may occur. I understand that Just Behaving, Dan Roach, Heidi Harris or any person or property associated with this training WILL NOT cover any veterinary costs (or costs of any kind) if my dog is injured or lost (including death).
The style of dog training I am choosing focuses on real life situations including being off leash, exposure to aggressive dogs and behavior modification environments. I understand that my dog will be unsupervised at times, will spend time unsupervised with other dogs and will be in an environment where my dog may engage in unsupervised dog interaction. I understand that my dog may be injured or lost during this training and I release all parties of liability.

RUN! RUN FAST!!!! I can't imagine any sane person signing a contract like that and handing over the leash. Injured, lost or killed for 'training'??? Yikes.

Lana

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
RUN! RUN FAST!!!! I can't imagine any sane person signing a contract like that and handing over the leash. Injured, lost or killed for 'training'??? Yikes.

Lana
I agree!! :confused: And I pity the poor dogs that have to go through that kind of training.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
OMG!!!! I can't believe that kind of "training" is legal! RUNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Better yet, run to the authorities who can put them out of business!

:FIREdevil:cavalry::FIREdevil

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
That is horrifying! I would definitely steer clear of this particular breeder! But don't give up, I'm sure we can help you find a reputable breeder in your area!

Another red flag is that they are listed on nextdaypets.com - not a good sign!

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
And I know that this is a little insignificant thing, but on the puppy page they have the four litters listed (which in itself, as has been pointed out, is a red flag - too many litters at once) and for a few of them they list the puppies as "Sold Out." I know its silly, but this wording just strikes me wrong - they aren't consumer products, they are living breathing puppies!

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Dallas, the mother of one of the litters will be two 9/11. So that means not only is she a mother before two, but can't have final OFA's. RED FLAG!!! No registered names. RED FLAG!!! Like everyone else, I find them on next day pets. RED FLAG!!! And $1750 for a pup with parents with no apparent titles and possibly no close ancestors with titles? RED FLAG!!!
In NH, try: Profile, Sunkissed, or Watersedge(Bow,NH)... Shalva, a member here is from NH and could maybe help. In Maine, try Tashel or Tairis... Contact Yankee Golden Retriever Club for referrals. There are many resources available.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
I think the consensus is pretty clear on this breeder unfortunately. But I hope you aren't getting discouraged. Just because this breeder isn't the right one, doesn't mean you won't find the perfect person to purchase your puppy from! The right breeder is definitely out there, even though I know it can be a little overwhelming!

·
the party's crashing us
4,364 Posts

Dog training is inherently dangerous. The style of dog training I am agreeing to requires my dog be exposed to numerous dangerous situations. I agree and give permission for my dog to participate in this training with the understanding that injuries may occur. I understand that Just Behaving, Dan Roach, Heidi Harris or any person or property associated with this training WILL NOT cover any veterinary costs (or costs of any kind) if my dog is injured or lost (including death).
The style of dog training I am choosing focuses on real life situations including being off leash, exposure to aggressive dogs and behavior modification environments. I understand that my dog will be unsupervised at times, will spend time unsupervised with other dogs and will be in an environment where my dog may engage in unsupervised dog interaction. I understand that my dog may be injured or lost during this training and I release all parties of liability.
Good lord that is absolutely insane. *** kind of training are they doing? Bomb detection taught by rabid wolves? These people are nuts.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Good lord that is absolutely insane. *** kind of training are they doing? Bomb detection taught by rabid wolves? These people are nuts.
Haha this made me laugh. But seriously, it sounds absolutely crazy. I would be terrified letting my dog go there! It is kind of sad when you think about it. I would never want my dog purposely placed in dangerous situations and to go unsupervised. If they had that big of an issue with dogs running away or getting injured/killed, why wouldn't they rethink this training program?

·
Registered
1,776 Posts

That makes me sick to my stomach!!!

·
the party's crashing us
4,364 Posts
Really I am scratching my head at their training. Someone who has looked at the website, is this training for pets/basic obedience or hunting or what?
Even a hunt test/retriever/hunting pro trainer would never have such ridiculous jargon in their contract or website.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
This is just awful, couldn't they be reported or something for animal cruelty? Or at least be visited to check for cruelty.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
i would love to speak to this breeder on the phone and question her as to what kind of insane training is she talking about???
Exactly what I was thinking. So bizarre, shocking really. Exposure to aggressive dogs? Begs the question, not only what kind of breeder this is but what kind of people are taking ownership of these dogs :confused:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts