Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
skpups.com

Anyone heard of Susan King of Smithville TX? She has a current litter, but found no prior information on her or her pups/dogs. I don't see clearances on the web, so I've emailed her. Do most breeders list them on their webpages?

thanks for any help! We're outside Houston in Missouri City TX & are looking to add a golden puppy. We've got a wonderful older lab, almost 12 yrs old now & know she won't be around forever......she loves all her friends & will do great with a new friend in our house we're sure.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Scion Golden Retrievers
Pat Simpson
Austin, TX USA
[email protected]
sciongoldens.com

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
To answer your questions, yes, most breeders provide clearances on their website, or a link to them. If full names are given on the website, clearances (to some extent) can be checked on www.offa.org You can almost always find hip and elbow clearances there (some use PennHip although most use both), and much of the time heart and eye clearances as well.

Clearances you should get would be OFA hips (sometimes PennHip), OFA elbows, annual eye clearances done by a veterinary opthamologist and at least one heart clearance by a cardiologist (not a practitioner). Other common clearance groups are OVC (Canada) and BVA (England). These should be on both parents and several generations behind them.

You can often find pedigrees on www.k9data.com

Puppy referral is available though www.grca.org

and another useful site is

http://goldenbreedersresource.org/

Pat Scion is a well known and respected breeder (from Jill above) in Texas.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
I do not know Susan King but the bitch that just had pups is only 21 months old so you will not find final clearances on her. The dog must be 2 years old for OFA hips and elbows and it a general rule to not breed a Golden till at least 2 years of age in the US - see the GRCA Code of Ethics.

·
the party's crashing us
4,307 Posts
I know Susan King. She moved from Florida a few years ago.
She has had an "oops" breeding or two.
I would like to think that she would not intentionally breed an underaged bitch but --- who knows.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Yes, I know Sue too; she used to belong to the breed club in South Florida before moving to Texas--she was the web master and was named Outstanding Club Member of the year one year for revamping the club's website and doing such an awesome job.

I have not spoken to her in the past couple of years, but when I did, she gave me the impression that she was being mentored by another breeder, one that I know very well. I would hope that she's not having "oops" litters deliberately. I know accidents can happen, and when I last spoke to her, she had 3 stud dogs and 2 bitches, so you do have to be very, very careful. I think she has kept pick goldens from her prior breedings. Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts