Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
How does someone remove a post from the OFA site? They redid the X-rays and it came back as mild and it was posted for all the people that have puppies from this male. The dogs have gone to fun matches and other events these are titles I added because I received the initials from the CKC. Not AKC

·
Registered
11 Posts
There was no unprofessional behavior. Everyone was told the dogs came from good lines have all the paperwork and that the prelims where done and read by the vet. They all where given a contract to sign and read it and signed. So should Sunfire be drawn through the mud for selling a dog that has hip dysplasia? How many of their offspring that has never been tested have dysplasia? It is a crap shoot with hips no matter what. I have talked to plenty of breeders and Vets the last few days. We all have and we have come to the conclusion it is what it is. We are working with the person who has the dog with dysplasia and this girl has no reason to be involved and she is spreading a lot of lives. Even going after the children in this family. I have been reading all the correspondence and we are working on all this together.

·
Registered
10,626 Posts
Here's the thing- you did not get TITLES from AKC- there are NO titles nor entries on that dog's AKC record. You have a CERTIFICATE. that's all. CKC (assuming you mean Canadian- because the Continental is just worser than worse) doesn't even have CGC- it has what is called the CGN program. https://www.ckc.ca/en/Raising-My-Dog/Responsible-Ownership/Canine-Good-Neighbour-Program Not the CGC. TK is not a CKC title, either. NTD is their trick title. https://www.ckc.ca/en/News/2019/July/CKC-Welcomes-Do-More-With-Your-Dog®-Trick-Dog-Titl If you got certificates and input to k9data from those certificates as you say, it is pretty funny that you got at least two of them completely wrong.

And how it gets removed from OFA? I dk- but I bet someone called and claimed not understanding the 'release of abnormal results' line so they removed them. Then a month later, you still have (if we are to believe you redid them) failing results but this time no one signed 'release abnormal results' line so they are still not on OFA. If you repeated them and still got 3 fails, that is.

It doesn't matter. It's obvious to anyone who reads the documentable info here (and reads the change history on k9data which is in itself quite telling) that there is deceit involved.

And Sunfire? They didn't make tons of puppies from a dog w dysplasia... breed that dog repeatedly...and actually they didn't breed him at all- they sold the Decs the dam of Indy. They are not Indy's breeders. I can only guess at why Indy's dam has Sunfire as a prefix- my guess would be that the Decs didn't have a kennel name. And Sunfire doesn't have puppies on the marketplace from a dog and KNOW he has HD.
Why should Book/Biewer (Sunfire) get drug through anything? I'm still waiting to see YOUR dog you claimed had the core 4... since there is still not a single Ocean's Breeze dog w the core 4 on OFA. There IS this dog who does have hips and elbows- but you originally said your dog had Good OFAs- and this one is a Fair- plus he appears to live in Bimidji MN. https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=1827838 so dk if you misremembered or if your dog just isn't there at all.
It's sad when two vet techs can't do better than your average BYB. I'm glad you are their new 'silent partner'- I hope that you get their act together so that puppy people are not being hoodwinked.

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
5,049 Posts
My goodness! I just read through this whole thread, and it is indeed telling. Nikkidog, the suddenly appearing puppy buyer now silent partner, seems very interesting to me. Is she who she says she is? Does she really have a dog born of parents with the four core clearances that for some strange reason she is refusing to identify so her claim could be verified? This wouldn't be the first time a bad breeder has come into this forum under the guise of being someone else, and tried to defend themselves from the truth. I was sad to read the name-calling, whataboutism, and shifting stories. That did not make this breeder look any better, I'm afraid.

If anyone reads this thread thinking about getting a puppy from this breeder, it seems to me that Nikkidog hasn't done this breeder any favors by the posts made here. It reads as guilty, IMHO. And it's quite obvious to even the newest of newbies that this breeder is saying things that are untruthful, and then changing the story. That is a huge red flag by itself. I've never seen an ethical breeder act that way, and I know a lot of ethical breeders who aren't stellar human beings. Even the worst of them wouldn't act like this, though. I think Nikkidog, whoever she is, is actually making things worse for this breeder...which is really a good thing for puppy buyers, IMHO.

The better response would have been to take a breath, acknowledge that mistakes have been made and that more knowledge and education is needed, and vow to do things the right way from now on. That would be the best response to this thread. That would be best for puppy buyers, too.

All puppy buyers should know that health clearances can be easily verified on OFA.org. And they should have all clearances in their hands before a penny or puppy is exchanged. Plus, a good breeder will give a guarantee against hip and elbow dysplasia. Caveat emptor, friends. This thread is a good example of how you can get taken if you are naive. Do your homework.

P.S. I'm impressed by Robin, Leslie, and others' civility in the face of insults and provocative posts. Well done, and better than I would do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So their dogs have Dockdiving through Dockdogs and AKC does not do these does it mean it is false. They do this for fun. Sunfire is not being dragged through the mud I just said he came from good lines and has dysplasia. You all can say and do what you want we are all working towards a better result. You are accusing us of lying but take everyone else’s word. You tell me your real name and maybe I will give you my information. But I am actually done explaining myself to you. We have 95% of our people standing with us. The few that start spreading lies and attacking the children and everything are trolls and don’t deserve any more of our time

·
5,049 Posts
So their dogs have Dockdiving through Dockdogs and AKC does not do these does it mean it is false. They do this for fun.
Well, they are not titles, yet they are represented as such by affixing them to the dog's registered name. Here is a link to all the acceptable suffix titles. There are a ton of them, but you do have to actually earn them. https://www.akc.org/sports/titles-and-abbreviations/#suffix

Sunfire is not being dragged through the mud I just said he came from good lines and has dysplasia.
Well, you certainly said more than that. Don't try to gaslight us. It's right there for everyone to read. You said, "So should Sunfire be drawn through the mud for selling a dog that has hip dysplasia? How many of their offspring that has never been tested have dysplasia?" That does read like mudslinging and whataboutism, to me.

You are accusing us of lying but take everyone else’s word. You tell me your real name and maybe I will give you my information.
Okay, I'll start. My name is Dana Douglas. I am Esquire Golden Retrievers. You can find my contact information on our website. And you are...???

·
Registered
10,626 Posts
How anyone with any knowledge of the breed would read that pedigree would shine zero blame on Sunfire ...they sold Kaylee to the Decs ...who sold Indy to Ocean Breeze.
FWIW- AKC does have dock diving . But the certificates you claim you input to k9data from CKC were input under Sharon Gratton's name. And if YOU are Sharon Gratton, you are not a puppy person who's now a silent partner but are one of the two who are Ocean Breeze.
That aside, no dock diving titles are on the dog's name on k9data- unless USGI is a dock accomplishment- I cannot find it anywhere, be it Dock Dogs or AKC or CKC so you can educate us on that acronym. I dk what USGI means in terms of dogs. So the whole last post about dock diving and how they do it, for fun, is irrelevant to the thread- no one has brought up dock diving. I am curious where you came up w the CT you added to the dog. He doesn't have a CT. To anyone who tracks, adding a title like that to a dog who's not earned it is so offensive.

I'm Robin Bowen, and I am Prism Goldens. That's two of us. Really, it's easy enough to figure out who WE are. We aren't hiding who we are. Or who our dogs are *especially since you posted that you had the core 4 on your 4 YO boy yet it's not on OFA. The only one that comes close is the one I posted a link to and he lives in MN. Oh- no one has said word one about anyone's children. Kids are off limits. We're just posting truths here re: the breeding program.

·
Registered
10,626 Posts
YES. They deleted his ratings from the OFA and K9 data. Doesn't that say it all?! Luckily I took pictures!
He is locked on k9data.
When people start inputting inaccurate stuff that's what happens.
Since you have a photo, it is possible it could be put back up if your photo is time stamped after the date they claim they re-did them and got Mild rating. Either way, it is a hard fail.
Most 'in the know' people know to look @ the change history and from there the story is pretty apparent.
Is your pup registered? Are you Hayley? I sent you a FB message if you are.

If you aren't, and your pup is registered, would you post his info?

·
5,049 Posts
This thread has more palace intrigue than Downton Abbey. I cannot imagine doing all the things these people have done to deceive puppy buyers, when doing it right is so easy and has the benefit of making you feel good about what you're doing, too. What unhappy people they must be. It must be unpleasant to live in their skin. :(

Nevertheless, this thread is a wonderful education for puppy buyers. It should be required reading, as insight into what really goes on out there. Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Oceans Breeze of Arlington VT name change to Heidiway golden -unethical breeder

Oceans Breeze of Arlington VT was caught breeding dogs with no OFA's while claiming to have them and a sire with hip dysplasia fathering over 6 litters. Just do a search on this website for the horror stories out of this kennel.

THEY HAVE CHANGED THEIR NAME TO HEIDIWAY GOLDEN'S. Do not be fooled!!!!

·
Registered
10,626 Posts
tuckerkeys;7763864]OH SNAP!!!!

Oceans breeze golden has CHANGED THEIR KENNEL name b/c of all the mess they have got themselves into!!

They are now calling themselves HEIDIWAY Golden's! link to marketplace.akc site, or if that doesn't work, do a search for golden in Vermont & there it is. DISGUSTING!!

told ya they would do that.
No ethical breeder would change their name with the wind. Wouldn't it just be easier to follow the rules? Good catch!

·
Registered
6 Posts
tuckerkeys;7763864]OH SNAP!!!!

Oceans breeze golden has CHANGED THEIR KENNEL name b/c of all the mess they have got themselves into!!

They are now calling themselves HEIDIWAY Golden's! link to marketplace.akc site, or if that doesn't work, do a search for golden in Vermont & there it is. DISGUSTING!!

Thanks for the heads up! ????

·
Registered
6 Posts
They are not going to stop breeding. They continue to breed Apple, even though her grandfather and great uncle failed their OFA hip clearances. This poor dog had her first litter before she was even 2 years old. She is bred every heat cycle. I am not a vet, but that seems like a lot to me. I would love the opinion of the people in this forum as to how often the same dog should be breed. They also breed the same male dog, Indy, with different females. What are the health implications of that? TIA!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,626 Posts
Since Heidiway Goldens didn't bring this thread up, I am posting Heidiway Goldens here for Google's sake..
Wonder who it's named for? There is a Heidi Way who comes up when you google Heidiway Goldens.. and three Heidi Ways on FB.

It's so interesting to me how these breeders who have no reason to feel pride in their programs have no issues changing their kennel names.
On to the next one.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I’m curious if the puppy page has had its name changed as well & what story was sold to the families with Ocean Breeze dogs that they are now Heidiway—I’m sure it’s got to reference the injustices & untruths of internet bullying, instead of just coming clean on their breeding practices

·
Registered
6 Posts
As far as I know, the Oceans Breeze Facebook name has not been changed. This has been a fast-moving attempt at a clean up. The truth about these breeders recently came to a head when one of the puppies was diagnosed with mild hip dysplasia at 16 months old. The breeders sold puppies under then guise of 6 generations of clear lines. It turns out the father of countless litters (Independence Day “Indy”) has hip dysplasia that was not disclosed to any puppy owners.

Here is my story, as a current dog owner of an “Oceans Breeze/ Heidiway Golden’s”:

I picked up my dog in August of 2018. I was told that she came from parents, grandparents, and great- grandparents with great lines, and OFA ratings of good to excellent hips. I was so happy to hear that my dog was coming from such great lines of breeding. I was naive and trusted that this information was true.

Sharon and Pat, the breeders, created an amazing Facebook group, called Oceans Breeze Family (OBF). Every family who purchased a dog from them was invited to join. The group seemed like a wonderful, supportive community of people who shared stories and pictures of their dogs. All was great, until another dog owner posted a concerning question about her dog's hips. This is when Sharon and Pat began lying, hiding information, placing blame on the innocent, and deceiving members.

Long story short, I found out through private research that the father of 8-9 litters of puppies (Independence Day, "Indy") never had his hips x- rayed until August 2019 (when he was 6 years old), although for years (they began breeding Indy at 2 years old) Sharon and Pat told dog owners that he had "good" hips). The results of his x- rays showed that he has moderate hip dysplasia.

What does this mean? This means that Sharon and Pat lied to every Oceans Breeze puppy owner when they said that the puppies' parents had good to excellent hips. Indy has hip dysplasia, which again is a genetic, inheritable, life-long disease. The mothers of these puppies never had their hips x-rayed.

When the owner of one of Indy’s puppies asked questions about her dogs hips (he was stiff and limped after running, was wincing in pain, and was very lethargic), Sharon and Pat told her "it's just growing pains, your dog's parents both have good hips"). The concerned puppy owner posted this question in October of 2019. Sharon and Pat knew that Indy had moderate hip dysplasia as of August 2019. When I posted in the Facebook group that I saw that Indy was diagnosed with moderate hip dysplasia in August of 2019, but was confused because Sharon and Pat said Indy's hips were "good," Sharon and Pat said "Indy does not have hip dysplasia.

Several major issues: First, Indy's hips were not x-rayed until age 6, after he fathered 8-9 litters, so I do not understand how could Sharon and Pat confidently said that he had a rating of "good" hips. Second, when Indy's moderate hip dysplasia was revealed (when they finally got his hips x-rayed in August of 2019), why did Sharon and Pat fail to disclose this information to every single one of the Oceans Breeze dog owners? Indy fathered or is some way directly related to every single Oceans Breeze puppy. That is a lot of dogs who may have been born with dysplastic hips, whose owners have no clue. Third, when confronted on Indy's hip dysplasia, how could Sharon and Pat deny that Indy's hips are in fact, not only, not "good", but moderately dysplastic? There have been so many discrepancies, mistruths, contradictions, and flat out lies that I have lost track.

The last major issue is how rude, dismissive, and disrespectful Sharon and Pat were to the owner of the puppy whose hips, at only 16 months old are already mildly dysplastic. Sharon and Pat's only solution to this injustice of deceit was to take her dog back, and give her one from a new litter of dogs whose parents will be screened for hip dysplasia. Why would any dog owner want to give their dog back? When I suggested that this dog owner should receive a refund of her $1,500 to put toward medical bills (the $500 that she spent to get her dogs hips x-rayed), and then the ongoing, life-long medical treatments that her dog will need to address his dysplastic hips, I was told to mind my own business, and "stop stirring up trouble."

I'd finally like to address the deplorable living conditions. There are 20+ dogs in their house. These dogs are not given the proper life, nor attention that any dog deserves. They live in filth and they are kept in crates piled on top of one another all day.

When I picked up my dog to take her home, she was covered in feces. When a friend of mine picked her dog up, she later learned that he came home with fleas from their house. Another member of Oceans Breeze shared me with privately, that his dog came home with a rash all over his face. Sharon and Pat make their living off of breeding dogs. They are irresponsible breeders who breed too many dogs at once. The end result is an overabundance of dogs that do not have homes. Sharon and Pat have been suspended from Facebook on a continual basis for trying to sell the overflow of puppies on Facebook.

When looking for a Golden Retriever, you should be able to trust that the breeders are responsible, knowledgeable, and truthful. Sharon and Pat are none of these. It took me almost a year and a half to see the truth. Other members will probably post reviews that they are always responsive to questions, always supportive, and always here to help. Yes, Sharon and Pat were responsive to questions; however, were their responses correct? No. Were their responses based in any sort of research or evidence-based recommendations? No.

When this dog owner asked about her dog's stiffness, limping, and pain, Sharon and Pat said it's "growing pains." If this dog owner had listened to Sharon and Pat, she would have never known that her dog has hip dysplasia, and she would have never gotten him the early treatment to make his life the best it can be given his diagnosis. What dog at 16 months (this is considered an adult dog), is stiff and limps as a result of growing pains? They are done growing. For anyone with any degree of common sense (let alone to dog breeders!), this explanation and write-off is unbelievable. Shouldn't a responsible breeder recommend that she take her dog to the vet to make sure nothing is wrong? I'd like to think so.

I am disgusted and disappointed not only by the horrific living conditions, but by the complete ignorance, deceit, and disregard when Oceans Breeze Family members confront Sharon and Pat on such an important issue. The end result of bringing information about Indy's hip dysplasia (that Sharon and Pat have been hiding, and denying from families of 8-9 litters of puppies), forward was that I was removed from the Oceans Breeze Family group.

*I had my dogs hips x rayed and her hips are clear. I am so grateful, so I do not want anyone to think I am sharing this out of revenge. My puppy is okay, but I am sharing this because one of my dogs litter mages has mild hip dysplasia, and given the number of litters that Indy has fathered, I am sure countless other puppies are suffering as well. I hope that a simple kennel name change does not hide the truth.

61 - 80 of 95 Posts