Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over Thanksgiving break, my 17-year old daughter was newly diagnosed with a severe wheat allergy in addition to her severe dairy allergy. (not lactose intolerance or gluten intolerance) We made it through the holidays with very creative cooking and she is now back at school. Just wondering if anyone else has to deal with similar restrictions and wondering how common they are.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I don't have a severe food allergy, but do have certain foods I must avoid because they cause digestive issues- wheat is one of them as are artificial sweeteners. I was tested for celiac (simple blood test) but I don't suffer from it. It's going to be so hard for your daughter and she'll probably feel much better avoiding most processed foods, because they tend to contain so many things that can cause issues. I've given up flavored yogurts in favor of plain greek yogurt (no dairy allergy), all diet sodas (no biggie) and most processed sweet things due to the artificial sweeteners or added wheat products.

Has she tried alternatives like almond or rice milk in lieu of milk? Is she also soy intolerant or allergic? I prefer the taste of almond milk, coconut milk and rice milk to regular dairy milk. You can cook with them as well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yes, oldest son has a peanut allergy (anaphylactic), and another undiagnosed allergy (food), that we can't quite figure out what it is (allergist appt January 16).

It has been relatively easy to manage. Labelling in Canada is excellent. Many products that are peanut free proudly display the peanut free symbol. We have a rule...no epi, no food...meaning if the epi-pen is not handy, he does not eat. He is 16, has been away to camps, away on school trips, goes out with friends. He is very responsible regarding his allergy. He has not had an anaphylactic reaction other than the first at diagnosis at age 14 months.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have a severe food allergy, but do have certain foods I must avoid because they cause digestive issues- wheat is one of them as are artificial sweeteners. I was tested for celiac (simple blood test) but I don't suffer from it. It's going to be so hard for your daughter and she'll probably feel much better avoiding most processed foods, because they tend to contain so many things that can cause issues. I've given up flavored yogurts in favor of plain greek yogurt (no dairy allergy), all diet sodas (no biggie) and most processed sweet things due to the artificial sweeteners or added wheat products.

Has she tried alternatives like almond or rice milk in lieu of milk? Is she also soy intolerant or allergic? I prefer the taste of almond milk, coconut milk and rice milk to regular dairy milk. You can cook with them as well.

Good luck!
It is really hard on her. Think of it...socially,,,no ice cream, pizza, she can't ever eat out. But, luckily, she has her act together. She's a bright kid. She loves healthy food and has become a very good cook (she goes to boarding school and can't eat in the cafeteria so cooks her own meals). She loves almond milk, soy milk. Loves fruits, veggies, tofu, tempeh, quinoa, rice, etc. She doesn't really use rice milk as it's not fortified with much and coconut milk has saturated fat so it's not that great for you. When she's home (most weekends and vacations) we eat mainly what she can eat. Also, she is a vegetarian. Thankfully, I have a degree in nutrition and culinary arts. I am having fun figuring out how to make her food taste good. Thank you for you kind words...it's definitely a challenge but we, like you, will work it out.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, oldest son has a peanut allergy (anaphylactic), and another undiagnosed allergy (food), that we can't quite figure out what it is (allergist appt January 16).

It has been relatively easy to manage. Labelling in Canada is excellent. Many products that are peanut free proudly display the peanut free symbol. We have a rule...no epi, no food...meaning if the epi-pen is not handy, he does not eat. He is 16, has been away to camps, away on school trips, goes out with friends. He is very responsible regarding his allergy. He has not had an anaphylactic reaction other than the first at diagnosis at age 14 months.
The doctors say that her allergies are anaphylactic, though she's never had that reaction. She projectile vomits, breaks out in hives, gets itchy, gets shaky and her heart races. Scary. She does carry an epi-pen. Labeling is pretty good but she really cannot go out to eat. She needs to bring her own food. Her school cannot accommodate her because of cross contamination. She cooks her own food in her dorm. We are managing and she is handling it very well. Strange that it just appeared after 16 years of no allergies or intolerance at all. The allergist says it's not that uncommon. Good luck at your appointment.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Wow, I remember you telling me about it when we all met at the woods. Very scary. I became allergic to cats after being a vet of ten or so years. I wish your daughter all the best!

Reactions: bowdense

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, I remember you telling me about it when we all met at the woods. Very scary. I became allergic to cats after being a vet of ten or so years. I wish your daughter all the best!
Thank you, she will be fine. There are a lot worse things out there.

But cats? That must be hard on you. Do you need to take meds every day? Funny how things work. I met a man in Hannaford the other day. He owned a bakery and he was recently diagnosed with Celiacs, so no gluten, etc. He said "God has a great sense of humor". True, huh?

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
My sister-in-law is lactose and wheat intolerant....and I have 2 co-workers that I travel with that have Celiac. We often order the same things at restaurants, they just make simple modifications....like no sauces/dressings etc). My SIL LOVES to travel and has become an expert at finding food she can eat and going on adventures. She and my Brother in law are in Costa Rica right now. The choice to eat as a vegetarian makes it more of a challenge!

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
One of my daughter's best friends has a severe dairy allergy. She is 10 now, and they've been friends since they were babies. Now we have a good idea of safe foods to keep on hand for when she comes over, and our super market has a pretty good selection of dairy free ice creams and treats so she doesn't feel left out.

Birthday parties are a challenge...we have several peanut allergies, a wheat allergy, the dairy allergy.. but knock on wood, we've never needed to break out the epipens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts