Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been searching around for puppy on AKC and gooddog and I found her info on AKC Marketplace. Pheasanthill Golden Retrievers

I have contacted her and she has a puppy available. She was able to provide me with pedigree and paperwork showing that both parents have good rating on the hip (OFA paper). I will be meeting her and looking at the parents. However, there is an another thread which mentions allergy issue with the puppies they got from her.

How risky is this? I will be getting pet insurance anyway. I just dont want to lose my dog at young age or see him/her suffer.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
We'd need sire and dam registered names. This is not the 'real' PheasantHill Goldens- that's Kimberly Jaeger and Carol Hardy and any finished dogs on k9data you see w that prefix are theirs not this person (who has been discussed on the forum in the past).
It's frustrating when people just up and steal a long time kennel name- either they are totally uneducated (yet somehow know they need a kennel name, so why not use one w a good rep behind it and skate along) or they are malicious in their use of someone else's name.

The site does not name the sire and dam, these are the ones on AKC-
Sire:
Mcgarrys Sir Bentley Of Pheasanthill AKC DNA #V625832 (SR58232403)
Dam:
Carolyns Princess Brookie (SR89913209)
and neither one has the first clearance. I think insurance could cover you, though would not cover the puppy's pain of course... but the only way I would consider that would be if these are appropriately priced- less than 1k. For a 'Championship pedigree' as claimed, Pedigree: Mcgarrys Sir Bentley Of Pheasanthill shows a couple who in 3 gen though the breeder of this litter didn't do any of it and also it's pretty watered down.. and the bitch has no real CH titles-http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=893279

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We'd need sire and dam registered names. This is not the 'real' PheasantHill Goldens- that's Kimberly Jaeger and Carol Hardy and any finished dogs on k9data you see w that prefix are theirs not this person (who has been discussed on the forum in the past).
It's frustrating when people just up and steal a long time kennel name- either they are totally uneducated (yet somehow know they need a kennel name, so why not use one w a good rep behind it and skate along) or they are malicious in their use of someone else's name.

The site does not name the sire and dam, these are the ones on AKC-
Sire:
Mcgarrys Sir Bentley Of Pheasanthill AKC DNA #V625832 (SR58232403)
Dam:
Carolyns Princess Brookie (SR89913209)
and neither one has the first clearance. I think insurance could cover you, though would not cover the puppy's pain of course... but the only way I would consider that would be if these are appropriately priced- less than 1k. For a 'Championship pedigree' as claimed, Pedigree: Mcgarrys Sir Bentley Of Pheasanthill shows a couple who in 3 gen though the breeder of this litter didn't do any of it and also it's pretty watered down.. and the bitch has no real CH titles-http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=893279
Yeah actually your previous post gave me second thought and do more research. Those are the registration numbers I got. However, it looks like only hip test was done on the dad side as testing goes. It is bit unfortunate. It sounded really good as they were answering all my questions. All the breeders around me (New England) at least 12months out for next litter.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,675 Posts
You may want to look at this thread-

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Just to be clear- the stud dog does not have final OFA on anything.

·
Registered
614 Posts
If you are looking in New England, you may find this thread helpful: Looking For Breeder Advice [New England]

That said... yes, most reputable breeders will have a wait list that extends into next year right now. That doesn't mean you shouldn't reach out... some breeders don't maintain a waitlist, or don't start one until they have a confirmed pregnancy, so it doesn't hurt to make contact/start following their FB page, etc. You might luck out. But even if you don't... it's far better to patiently wait for a puppy from a reputable breeder, even if it means waiting a year or more, than to buy a pup from a disreputable breeder just because you can get him or her sooner...

·
Registered
614 Posts
Oh, and in case you haven't seen posts on this already... avoid any breeder who is advertising "English Creams" (or any variation thereof). This is a marketing term where less than reputable breeders are trying to cash in on the current fad for lighter colored goldens. There is no such thing as an "English Cream" - a golden is a golden is a golden. If you really like the light colored goldens then the link that Carolina Mom posted above is your best source for reputable breeders who just happen to breed (always or sometimes) pups with lighter coats.

I would also avoid looking for breeders on the AKC Marketplace (or at least go in assuming that 90% of the breeders listed there are NOT reputable).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts