Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking around for puppies. Someone mentioned this breeder to me, just looking for some more information other than what is on there website. Want to cover all my bases.
Thanks,
D

·
Registered
758 Posts
I found Stoney Lonan Pi Bird on K9Data but no clearances on OFA. In looking at the website I doubt they do proper health clearances per the GRCA COE.

If you get the registered names of Sire and Dam someone can look at into it for you.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
If Ballistiic Bullet is the sire I wouldn't risk it.

It looks like all he has is a practitioner cardiac clearance and no elbow, hip or eye certifications posted on OFA. If you have registered names of the litter sire and dam, someone can look them up for you. Really good breeders post the registered names on their website.
The Golden Retriever Club of America's Code of Ethics for breeders requires 4 health clearances on dogs that are going to be bred. They are a cardiac exam by a veterinary cardiologist, eye exam by a veterinary ophthalmologist and hip and elbow certifications. They require the results be posted on OFA. This gives you the best chances of a puppy who won't have debilitating and expensive health problems that are common in Golden Retrievers
Also Bullet is a carrier for ichthyosis so he should not be bred to another carrier but really in my opinion and by the standards listed above, he should not be bred at all

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found Stoney Lonan Pi Bird on K9Data but no clearances on OFA. In looking at the website I doubt they do proper health clearances per the GRCA COE.

If you get the registered names of Sire and Dam someone can look at into it for you.
Thank You for the information I appreciate your response

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If Ballistiic Bullet is the sire I wouldn't risk it.

It looks like all he has is a practitioner cardiac clearance and no elbow, hip or eye certifications posted on OFA. If you have registered names of the litter sire and dam, someone can look them up for you. Really good breeders post the registered names on their website.
The Golden Retriever Club of America's Code of Ethics for breeders requires 4 health clearances on dogs that are going to be bred. They are a cardiac exam by a veterinary cardiologist, eye exam by a veterinary ophthalmologist and hip and elbow certifications. They require the results be posted on OFA. This gives you the best chances of a puppy who won't have debilitating and expensive health problems that are common in Golden Retrievers
Also Bullet is a carrier for ichthyosis so he should not be bred to another carrier but really in my opinion and by the standards listed above, he should not be bred at all
Thanks, I was not aware of all this information. Looks like I need to do more more extensive research. I appreciate the feedback

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Lots of us came to the forum unaware of breeding standards and how deceptive but nice poor quality breeders can be. It is the reason several great breeders stay on the forum; trying to educate people in how to find a healthy family member and keep this great breed up to standards in health and temperament. Try and use the search feature for breeders in .... (states you would travel to) and see if there are and Golden Retriever Clubs near you with referral programs. Come here and post registered names for dogs whose litters you are considering and someone will help look them up. This thread should be good motivation for anyone to find an ethical breeder
Best wishes on your search.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts