Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has one of these: http://www.activedogtoys.com/godoggo.html

And if so, do you like it?

Butters is OBSESSED with playing fetch. I am in law school and study at home a lot. He is constantly bringing me his ball (the ones he has hidden around the house so I cannot put them away) to play fetch. He then proceeds to whine, pout, and make the RoooOOooo noise trying to tell me he needs to play fetch immediately. I usually play with him at least 15-30 minutes a day of solid fetch. I realize that I am supposed to be the boss and play fetch when I want to play fetch but... I want him to be happy and I think it might be great exercise for him.

I study next to a window where I can see the entire backyard. I was thinking I could keep it on manual mode and use the remote control to throw the ball (through the window). For anyone who has one, does the remote control transmit the signal through a window? And do you like the product?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I havent ever seen one of those but I like the jumbubbler. I would like to see a video of it to see how it launches.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Omgosh how cute he puts the ball back in! on the first video... hmm i may have to invest in that one day =) not because i dont have time to play fetch... but because its soo funny to watch him put the ball back in and jump at the machine for the ball to launch again!!! lol

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
that is such a good idea! for the h.ardcore fetchers out there!!

I would imagine the toughest thing would be teaching the dog to drop it in the bucket...but i'm sure it wouldn't take long when they realize the result of doing so! I think that machine might be the answer to your problem!

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Ok, I love the way the dog brings the ball back and puts it back in for another launch.

But during this video (the first one) a major concern came up in my mind...

That ball comes a flying out of there. What if the dog is looking directly at the chute when it's fired?

I can see a major eye trauma being a possibility here.

I would have to pass for this reason alone :(

·
Honey & Isabel
306 Posts
Oh yes......................we have one.......................got it for Christmas 2007. It is FAB!!!!! I don't have any pictures of us using it though - don't know why! I would get it out now and demonstrate for you all but the lawn is a soggy mess at the moment. But I have to say it's brill fun and worth the money. I have been trying to get Honey to bring the ball back and put it into the bucket but she won't - she brings it back and drops it by the machine!

I wouldn't use it unsupervised though - initially Honey was unsure about the noise it makes prior to 'lift off' but she soon got used to it and waits for the noise to tell her it's nearly on it's way!

The comment about danger if getting too close is a sensible one...............I don't let Honey get too close but the ball pops out quite high so unless she was looking nose to nose it wouldn't touch her plus you can alter the height and distance it goes.

Bottom line is IT'S A LOAD OF FUN!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Our neighbors loaned us something similar last summer and Sienna enjoyed it. But I must admit I was very nervous about her getting hit as she stared at the machine waiting for it to "perform". I was also nervous my son would forget himself and get in the line of fire.

I guess you could train the dog to wait a distance away. I'm sneaking at work, but I will come back and watch the videos you posted LOL. Sienna loves to play fetch, but we are still going back and forth between bring it back and chase me with the ball.... treats only work for short term.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
***Update***

***Update***

I received the GoDogGo tonight... it is a hit!!

Within an hour Butters discovered how to put the ball in the basket himself. He absolutely loves it! Koda isn't so amused... but I didn't figure he would be, he isn't really into fetch!

There do not seem to be any safety concerns. Butters figured out pretty fast to stand back and wait on the ball to come out... I am definitely only going to have it available for him to play with while I am at home though... just in case!

He played for 4 hours straight by himself (with us watching him out the window). I had to put it away for the night... he wouldn't stop playing!!

check out this video of him playing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cupEVLkCgp0

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Did he figure it out himself, or how did you train him?

***Update***

I received the GoDogGo tonight... it is a hit!!

Within an hour Butters discovered how to put the ball in the basket himself. He absolutely loves it! Koda isn't so amused... but I didn't figure he would be, he isn't really into fetch!

There do not seem to be any safety concerns. Butters figured out pretty fast to stand back and wait on the ball to come out... I am definitely only going to have it available for him to play with while I am at home though... just in case!

He played for 4 hours straight by himself (with us watching him out the window). I had to put it away for the night... he wouldn't stop playing!!

check out this video of him playing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cupEVLkCgp0

·
Abby-Molly-Sophie-Cooper
180 Posts
Thank you so much for posting this! I came across this toy years ago and wanted to buy it but for whatever reason, it wasn't available anymore. I forgot about it and didn't realize it was back on the market until this post! Thanks so much, I'll be ordering for the Spring!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To answer your questions:

The 2nd ball did not go over the fence... although that has happened many a time in the past! We repositioned the launcher so it wasn't facing that way anymore... we didn't want a "cattle trail" from where he went back and forth fetching for hours and hours on end!

He taught himself for the most part. I turned the machine on, would drop a ball down in there and it would shoot out. He kept bringing it back to me, wanting me to put it in the bucket. After about 30 minutes I left and went inside and he did it by himself... guess he didn't want to wait on me to put the ball in the bucket. He was hooked from then on!

You can adjust the launcher to throw 15, 25, or 30 feet... not very far but I don't think the dogs mind! It is really easy to adjust... just a little spring on the bottom.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts