Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My vet suggested we try a new food with Ozzy since it seems possible he's having some allergy issues. He hasn't been diagnosed with anything but she thought it would be worth a shot to see how he does. She recommended Natural Balance Venison and Sweet Potato. I was looking around online and came across Sold Gold Wolf King and thought it sounded promising. Her thought was to try something with a different protein and grain source from what he's currently eating (Fromm's LBP).

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
We fed SG Hund-n-flocken to Carmella for the last 6 years of her life. She did very well on it. Her coat was lustrous until her final days, and she always had a lot of energy. Stools were good too, and she loved it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have been feeding Riley the Wolf King for several months now. I like the low fat content and it seems to thicken up his coat nicely. He was on it a couple of years ago too and did very well on it.

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
She probably recomended Natural Balance, because it is a limited ingredient food. Though I am sure the Wolf Cub is a good food, I think I would have to also say go limited ingredient, if you are checking to see if he has an allergy. What if one of the things he is allergic to, is one of the common ingredients, such as brown rice?

Have you ever considered raw? Sometimes what bothers dogs is how the foods are processed. Most dry dog foods are extruded these days.

Good luck finding something that works for your boy. There are lots of good foods out there:)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She probably recomended Natural Balance, because it is a limited ingredient food. Though I am sure the Wolf Cub is a good food, I think I would have to also say go limited ingredient, if you are checking to see if he has an allergy. What if one of the things he is allergic to, is one of the common ingredients, such as brown rice?

Have you ever considered raw? Sometimes what bothers dogs is how the foods are processed. Most dry dog foods are extruded these days.

Good luck finding something that works for your boy. There are lots of good foods out there:)
You're probably right that she was suggesting Natural Balance because it's a limited ingredient food.

We're not 100% sure he has allergies but based on the fact that he's been to the vet this month once for diarrhea, once for an ear infection, and now the skin around his eyes looks pink and irritated, she's thinking it looks likely he's developing one. So far we've just been treating the symptoms (diarrhea and ear infections are gone and the ointment we're using on the eyes is working) but she felt it couldn't hurt to try a new food and see how it goes. Maybe he doesn't have allergies but it can't hurt to switch him to a new foos as long as it's a good one.

I haven't looked at raw much. My biggest concern is we travel quite a bit this time of the year due to a sport my daughter participates in. and have to board him so I need something relatively simple.

Thanks for your input.

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
We're not 100% sure he has allergies but based on the fact that he's been to the vet this month once for diarrhea, once for an ear infection, and now the skin around his eyes looks pink and irritated, she's thinking it looks likely he's developing one. So far we've just been treating the symptoms (diarrhea and ear infections are gone and the ointment we're using on the eyes is working) but she felt it couldn't hurt to try a new food and see how it goes. Maybe he doesn't have allergies but it can't hurt to switch him to a new foos as long as it's a good one.
Poor guy, I hope he feels better soon:(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts